Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lack of Somali Foster Parents: Crisis in the Somali Communit

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Lack of Somali Foster Parents: Crisis in the Somali Communit

Postby SummerRain » Mon May 14, 2007 12:30 am

I agree with you every step of the way. Like I said before it all comes back to if those relatives are willing to become devoted guardians to these children. Which in return, more or less, becomes in the same line as the whole kin/qaraabo system breaking down. Even if they were taken in by the relative, what gurantees a successful relationsip between them, assuming these kids have troubled past. It becomes more complex and thats when the foster care/child services comes to the picture. The question is can that system (kin/qaraabo) be successful in this culture we live in? And are more Somalis willing to set up and take control of their kids before they fall into the hands of gaalo?

Advocatar
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Chilling In SANAAG, Makhiir State Of SOMALI, enjoying TUNA fish

Postby Advocatar » Mon May 14, 2007 12:36 am

hey I have a question, let's say a lady raises a child who isnt related to her, as the kid grows up and reaches puberty, does she have to cover-up and does he break her waldu/weeyso?

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Mon May 14, 2007 12:37 am

[quote="Advocatar"]hey I have a question, let's say a lady raises a child who isnt related to her, as the kid grows up and reaches puberty, does she have to cover-up and does he break her waldu/weeyso?[/quote]

HELL YEAA, simple that is not her biological son.

e!
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby e! » Mon May 14, 2007 12:41 am

where the fuk do you ppl live where somali kids are taken away from their parents Confused

gedo_gurl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gedo_gurl » Mon May 14, 2007 12:42 am

Advo, yes, unless she gets there in time to give him her breastmilk. Smile

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Mon May 14, 2007 12:51 am

Ismahan,

There's no guarantee that foster parenting will be any better than parents or relatives. Each case is probably unique so we can't overgeneralize.

Some kids could have had wonderful relatives they were staying with, but the kid just happens to be a problem child who is always in and out of trouble due to a wide variety of things that may or may not be his/her fault. Maybe they're bipolar, maybe they have other psychological issues. Maybe they are just naturally troublesome kids.

Every messed up child isn't the product of a bad environment, but some are........and a parent or a relative can only take so much and as human beings maybe they reached their tipping point with the child; if a child insists on becoming a screw-up, well there's no societal remedy for that.

Each case is probably unique........sometimes it's the kids fault, sometimes the parent's or relatives, sometimes a combination of both.

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Mon May 14, 2007 1:08 am

You have some valid points there bro. Its just agonizing to see some parents or even guardians sometimes be afraid to talk or decipline their kids. They are paranoid of the system, they think its out there to get them in jail for torture or negligence. I see parents who dont even tell their kids to do their homework, in fear that the kids might retaliate against them. Shocked Its a very very complex problem and I think its mainly a cultural clash between the parents and the kids that is causing this. I think we need to have more Somali community organizations for such kids, in order for them to atleast help them stay in their communities and have a role model, rather than being in the streets or FC.

Warya_dude
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Warya_dude » Mon May 14, 2007 1:14 am

[quote="Ismael_ax"]Qabiill..........[/quote]

^I have an adopted Habar Gidir 'sister'...so some Somalis do adopt totally unrelated people

Madmadoobe
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Madmadoobe » Mon May 14, 2007 1:22 am

Somalis have got a lot of problems of their own to deal with. Helping an unfortunate somali child out of somalinimo is something, but signing up for foster crap and taking on other responsiblities is quite another. If you find yourself in a situation where you have to deal with such a problem by all means do something about it. Otherwise dont fukcing look for it, let the white people do it, it will be better for him/her anyways, unless they are child abusers in which case the poor lil skinny is fukced

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Mon May 14, 2007 1:33 am

Ismahan,

This is something that is characteristic of 1st generation immigrants from war-torn nations........a lot of times the parents find themselves in situations where as long as the kid has a roof over their head and they are eating regularly, they feel that those are the needs of the kids because that is what used to happen in Somalia....a lot of times the society played a big role in raising you...the culture, relatives, extended family played a big role in helping the kid discover what was good and what was bad.

I already see Somalis taking positive steps, so it is not a completely horrible sitaution........the community centers and masjids play a big role too b/c the kids need faith-based values or just at least be exposed to them.

Living in a community with a lot of Somalis can be a double-edged sword........considering a lot of times it is in low-income areas where there are gangs and criminal behavior, the 'crowd' can have a negative impact. But on the positive side it has the benefit of Somali kids being in touch with their peers, language, culture, and positive aspects of extended family.

Hillary Clinton said it best when she said: "It takes a tuulo to raise a child"

However, some kids who don't grow up with a lot of Somali presence end up like you Cool speaking like a suburb girl, wearing Abercrombie & Fitch, listening to music like TheFray, Dave Matthews Band, U2, Laughing Laughing Laughing Ironically, sometimes those are the types that discover their Somalinimo in college-age years and overcompensate so that by their mid 20's are fully comfortable w/ their Somali side and embrace it Laughing

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Mon May 14, 2007 1:45 am

You wrote:

"However, some kids who don't grow up with a lot of Somali presence end up like you Cool speaking like a suburb girl, wearing Abercrombie & Fitch, listening to music like TheFray, Dave Matthews Band, U2, Laughing Laughing Laughing Ironically, sometimes those are the types that discover their Somalinimo in college-age years and overcompensate so that by their mid 20's are fully comfortable w/ their Somali side and embrace it :lol "

Shocked Shocked Shocked Holly crap...I mean Istagfuruallah, you just bloody described someone very close to me. Laughing Laughing I very much enjoying getting in touch with my Somalinimo lately. I do feel connected with it and quite optimistic for Somalia than many others who actually did grew up in that beautiful country. May be I'm just over my head. Sad How could you mistaken GREEN DAY for TheFray though? Shocked

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:50 am

Gedo,

Dude, U are a regular at the A&F store at the Landmark mall so stop pretending that Alexandria is a hood Laughing

Ismahan,

Embrace your Somalinimo.

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Mon May 14, 2007 12:31 pm

Who said you cant be connected with your Somalinimo and still listen to Green Day and U2 and shop at A&F? Laughing

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:32 pm

Ismahan,

No, U need to be Somali and shop from MArshalls, TJ Maxx and AJ Wright Laughing

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Mon May 14, 2007 12:42 pm

I cant be bothered with those stores, its like where do you begin. Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm cool with holister, Express, bebe and A&E.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.