Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lack of Somali Foster Parents: Crisis in the Somali Communit

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Lack of Somali Foster Parents: Crisis in the Somali Communit

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:30 pm

I was having some coffee with a friend of mine who works as a Social Services Officer. She was telling me about the lack of Somali foster parents and wondered why that was the case. When Somali children are taken away from their parents who are deemed unfit to take care of them, they are usually placed with nonSomali and NonMuslim foster parents. This presents challenges for the children, their parents and the foster parents.

So why don't Somali folks sign up to become foster parents ?

musika man
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Lack of Somali Foster Parents: Crisis in the Somali Communit

Postby musika man » Sun May 13, 2007 7:36 pm

mudane abdi my family took a somali kid who was 19 months old, and his lamagodley mom was unfit to look after him. the problem is, she only remembers him only when she is drunk or high on drugs and calls early in the morning, 2,3,4,5 a.m. we decided not to adopt him and put him for adoption cause of her attitude and actions when she is on drugs or alcohol.

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:38 pm

Musika,

It is unfortunate that kid will be raised by gaalo.

Somalis need to become foster parents to save Somali children.

adanboy
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby adanboy » Sun May 13, 2007 7:51 pm

the goverment also pays well to the foster families

Ismael_ax

Postby Ismael_ax » Sun May 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Qabiill..........

Somaliman%
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Somaliman% » Sun May 13, 2007 8:01 pm

this is indeed true, somali kids are taking from their parents alot not because their parents cant care for them, but in some cases for petty reasons..
and the kids go in the care of nonmuslim white families, imagine those kids they'll turn out to be christians and unaware of their identity and where they came from.
so somali parents need to register them selves as foster parents, and they get a heck loads of money too.
the reason they dont register as foster parents is because they probably dont realise the money involved and that somali kids lives are at stake. also because somalis consist of large families, and many of them have too many kids and cant look after another.
community leaders should inform them and promote foster caring within somalis everywhere.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Sun May 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Insha allah I'd like to adopt a kid when I'm able...

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Sun May 13, 2007 8:17 pm

I'm adopting inshallah, oneday. I think the reason why there is lack of Somali foster parents is because of Socio-economic and also a cultural reasons. Many Somalis in US are going through a cultural transition right now. They are having a hard time understanding the system in the US. There is not enough educated people who can take up such responsibility. Another delimma is that somalis dont want to raise someone else's child, PERIOD. Their mentality is still locked with that back home and they ought to wake up and smell the coffee before their childern all end up in the hands of gaalo.

abucubeed
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby abucubeed » Sun May 13, 2007 8:20 pm

[quote="AbdiWahab252"]I was having some coffee with a friend of mine who works as a Social Services Officer. She was telling me about the lack of Somali foster parents and wondered why that was the case. When Somali children are taken away from their parents who are deemed unfit to take care of them, they are usually placed with nonSomali and NonMuslim foster parents. This presents challenges for the children, their parents and the foster parents.

So why don't Somali folks sign up to become foster parents ?[/quote]

and who is responsible for it ?? fcking hutu this is what your people did mother fcker

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Sun May 13, 2007 9:58 pm

In the States, if you look at how many kids stay w/ relatives who aren't their parents there is a lot of foster parenting going on we just don't know it.

The way the Somali social structure works, normally it is the next of kin (or qaraabo) who looks after the kid when their parents are not there............I guess this is breaking down.

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Sun May 13, 2007 11:36 pm

Dont you think that the majority of the problem lies within children who dont have relatives to take them in? Arent they the higher fraction of kids in foster care? Alot of kids who do have the previlage of being taken in by a relative, later end up in the streets if they are faced with diagreement at home. This usually has to do with how they are deciplined and just the mere fact that the relative dont want their responsibility, thus they tend to get hostile or violent toward the kid. Thereafter, the kid realizing he is not wanted, decides that the streets is his scapegoat to the situation and later picks up all the bad habits.

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Mon May 14, 2007 12:05 am

yeah, but most of the time there are some relatives in the vicinity of the child.....ask yourself how did the kid get where he was. Somalis tend to stay in communities and there are at least some relatives near them or in the same country.

If I had a child of a relative with nowhere to stay, ofcourse I would take them in. My family has had extended family staying with us for virtually my entire life in one capacity or another.

Not too many Somalis arrive in the US without any relatives already being here, unless they are sponsored by non-personal private and charity agencies.

In any case, I think it's more a matter of the kin/qaraabo system breaking down for 1 way or another. But there are no figures and I'm sure how this can be quantified.

musika man
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby musika man » Mon May 14, 2007 12:07 am

[quote="Gedo_Boy"]yeah, but most of the time there are some relatives in the vicinity of the child.....ask yourself how did the kid get where he was. Somalis tend to stay in communities and there are at least some relatives near them or in the same country.

If I had a child of a relative with nowhere to stay, ofcourse I would take them in. My family has had extended family staying with us for virtually my entire life in one capacity or another.

Not too many Somalis arrive in the US without any relatives already being here, unless they are sponsored by non-personal private and charity agencies.

In any case, I think it's more a matter of the kin/qaraabo system breaking down for 1 way or another. But there are no figures and I'm sure how this can be quantified.[/quote]

^^^

i will adopt a marehan baby and unlike all marehans in somalinet i will make him grow like an intelligent and independent man and not to worship barre huuraale or any individual.

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Mon May 14, 2007 12:12 am

"Al aqaaribu awlaa bil macruuf".......so if you have any near kin that need to be adopted you should adopt them first and let me worry about the Marexaan babies Laughing Laughing Laughing

gedo_gurl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gedo_gurl » Mon May 14, 2007 12:22 am

I probaly wouldnt adopt, but I would love to become a foster carer...as long as that child knows who its family actually are. Somalis dont want to be foster carer's because they can just about look after the 12 they themselves have popped out.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.