Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Awdal and Maakhir State have all the oil in Somalia

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Awdal and Maakhir State have all the oil in Somalia

Postby James Dahl » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:29 pm

http://www.somalilandtimes.net/hydrocar ... ential.htm

Northern Somalia has the same geological profile as Yemen, and Yemen's oil is in the Jurassic sedimentary basins. Thus there is a long Jurassic rock deposit along Al Mado, and a big one north of Borama.

Phd in naago kudis
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Awdal and Maakhir State have all the oil in Somalia

Postby Phd in naago kudis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:29 pm

then that oil belongs to somaliland Very Happy

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Maakhir and Somaliland should make a deal with Yemeni oil companies, they know how to drill in Jurassic rock.

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:35 pm

James,

U forgot to mention the oil drilling sites in Hobyo which were built by Sinclair Oil in the late 50s and early 60s.

My uncle was a foreman on the test sights and does remember having positive tests at the drill sites at Hobyo 1 and Hobyo 2.

Mrs Musika man
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: XAMAR cadey - Musika-Sultan-of-Banadiir, Majerteen-Abgaal Capitalistic Alliance (MACA)

Postby Mrs Musika man » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:35 pm

What about Sool and Nugaal?

Midhisho
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Republic of Somaliland and bounty states of former buntland

Postby Midhisho » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:37 pm

block 27 in Ciidagalle territory Very Happy

my kinsmen

Togdheer is the Texas man ! wiiihaaa

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:39 pm

Mrs, Musikaman,

Sool has a lot of oil potential especially at the Conoco sites,

Somali2003
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Somali2003 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:45 pm

Not to mention minerals. I think it is time that England, in general, uses its veto power to block the United States' unwavering support for Ethiopia. We had political relations with Britain Empire for centuries. In order to tap the resources of the country, Somalia needs a powerful country that could level the playing field and give our country a much needed hand.
This is what the Sultan of Warsangeli told John Hanning Speke, an English explorer sent by his government. 1854

The Sultaan of Warsangeli Mohamed Ali(1798-1866) said this,

"The Warsingali were on the most friendly and amicable relations with the English; and as he was desirous of maintaining it, he would give me leave to travel anywhere I liked within his dominions, and to see and examine anything I chose. But out of fear for the consequences, as the English would hold him answerable should any disasters befall me, he could not sanction my crossing over his frontier in any direction"

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:59 pm

[quote="AbdiWahab252"]James,

U forgot to mention the oil drilling sites in Hobyo which were built by Sinclair Oil in the late 50s and early 60s.

My uncle was a foreman on the test sights and does remember having positive tests at the drill sites at Hobyo 1 and Hobyo 2.[/quote]

I've heard about this and another site further south in Upper Shabelle. Everyone was historically drilling in the wrong places in Somalia though, ignoring the oldest rock, which as they discovered in Yemen, is the rock that actually contains oil.

Midhisho
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Republic of Somaliland and bounty states of former buntland

Postby Midhisho » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:02 pm

Somaliland and Saudi Arabia and Yemen = $$ geological
we are talking about billions of barrels $

Saaxil state of SL is the only place where you can find oil seeps JamesDahl .

Oh and yeah check out the company TGS NOPEC they just won a contract and have scanned Somalilands 1000 km coast for offshore prospects .
Wallahi it stood on Somaliland Times.
Its a huge european company for seismic 2D .

see their website

Somali2003
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Somali2003 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:06 pm

Midhisho, Oil in Somalia will never be tapped until we have a national government.
Maakhir state and Somaliland state can enter exploration contracts with any nation but they can do so at the behest of Somali government and it will be the Somali government which determines when and how the oil production is going to start.

Twisted_Logic
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Speaking up against Somalinet's tolerance for Al Qaida Loyalists

Postby Twisted_Logic » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:22 pm

To actually believe that all the oil and minerals in Somalia lies within the territory of the north is not only misleading but also very irrational. Studies conducted by leading researchers have all pointed out that oil is found throughout the Somali land. In fact, the conventional view that all the oil is in the north and all the gas in the south is no longer accepted in the scientific community as oil fields have been popping up places that science has restricted during the 1950s and 1960s when the search for oil was in full swing. According to the esteemed Somali geologist and engineer Abdulkadir Abiikar Hussein:

“The lithology and structure of the Somali embayment ( Lower Mudug, Galgaduud and the fringe lands of Hiiraan adjacent to Galgaduud ) are similar to those of the Midland basin of West Texas. The Somali embayment is Mesozoic basin, while West Texas basin is Paleozoic basin, but they have many similarities. The offshore marine environment, adjacent to Hobyo coast includes probably among the numerous promising zones that contains petroleum.”

He continues:

” Nearly, all the oil shows in Somalia have been in carbonate rocks, although in the coastal areas of the Banaadir, there have been petroleum shows, especially gas, trapped in Tertiary sandstones. These reservoirs have good potentials and may yield oil/gas if prospected properly. The known shows for the Tertiary sandstones are located in Marka and Afgoye. This area offers good possibilities for commercial oil and gas production because there is a thick Tertiary section of 4267 m. In the Banaadir area, gas shows have been reported, and the sedimentary column thickens seaward. Offshore exploration would appear to offer the good possibilities.”

He further breaks down the oil prospects in different regions and concludes based on scientific studies available to him:

“These zones are:
• the Guban area of the north, particulary the new Sahel and Awdal regions.
• the Banaadir region between Mogadishu-Afgooye and Baraawa, including Marka.
• the Somali embayment of Lower Mudug and Galgaduud regions, including offshore Hobyo.
• the Nugaal Valley between Qardho and Bandar Beila.”

In fact, the prime minister who is close to numerous multi-national companies recently said to the effect, “ to think oil is only in the north is stupid,” and I will trust what he has to say!

Eng. Abdulkadir Abiikar (Former researcher and lecturer in the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia; Foundation Engineer in the Extension of Prophet's Mosque, Madinah, Saudi Arabia, and Quality Control Manager for Cosmos Company in the construction of Kuala Lumpur International Airport at Sepang, Malaysia).

You can read the rest of the article on:
http://www.qarxis.com/node/1757

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:33 pm

Still, it's all conjecture until someone starts drilling.
Somalia needs to be careful with how the money gets split up though, so it doesn't end up like Chad.

I get the feeling though that Somalia's leaders hope it's exactly like Chad, ie they pocket all the money.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:22 pm

[quote="James Dahl"]Still, it's all conjecture until someone starts drilling.
Somalia needs to be careful with how the money gets split up though, so it doesn't end up like Chad.

I get the feeling though that Somalia's leaders hope it's exactly like Chad, ie they pocket all the money.[/quote]

This is Africa, what do you expect? Confused

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:25 pm

My father told me my awoowe was also avidly taking part in the oil explorations throughout Somalia. He even had a contract with a company till the rise of Siad Barre.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.