Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arab boy laughs to hear My Arab descent!!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
salafi_student
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Arab boy laughs to hear My Arab descent!!

Postby salafi_student » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:54 am

Somali claims to be Arab descent doesn't go too well in the Arab community in general, and sometimes becomes laughing joke. My colleague laughed as I explained Somali history; how our grand fathers came to shore on a small boat sailed from Middle East not known to exact location but assumption points to Yemen, to Syria (as my family history dictates). Hysterical and sometimes contradiction it seems the fact that our darker skin and foreign language to Arabic we still remain prominent members of the Arab league.

With out going into details Somali tribes we tend to start the family trees from have no more history than few centuries ago, the likes of Hawiye, Isaaq,Darood, Dir, D&M ...(sorry to not mention every one as list is too long) and sadly on those names we tend to cause mayhem, bloodshed...etc Our history (Somalis) goes around tribal glory or wars against colonial powers but little before that is ever mentioned.

If you think I am joking for this fact then;Take this Test:

GO TO ARAB ( from Middle east) AND TELL HIM YOU ARE ARAB...... see what he says!

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Arab boy laughs to hear My Arab descent!!

Postby gurey25 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:58 am

unlike you mate,

i grew up in an arab country,
and the reaction is the opposite.

they are shocked and dismayed when i tell then that i am not ARAB, but somali.

they then usually try hard to convince me that i am an arab.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i guess you cam across arabs that have never seen or dealt with somalis
and so they are ignorant.

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:18 am

if you want to get opposite reaction say im not arab they argue: bla somal fel jama3al 3arabia.
ma darat ijtima3eyaat bel madrasah.lol

then they ask why some somalis dont speak arabi?
im like because they've another native language beside arabic.

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 am

:lol:
i love to mess with them.

during conversations i refer to them as you arabs,
and they get confused and say inta mush 3arab i tell what do you think? im somali.

and then later on i will refer to us arabs...

at least i speak arabic,

whats confusing them more are the somalis that visit from Europe and America and cannot speak a word of arabic,
the immigration and police at the airport cannot believe that you dont speak arabic and are shocked.

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Suldaanka Guud beelaha reer Sheikh isxaaq Bani Axmed Bani Hashiim. In the republic of Soliziland

Postby The_Emperior5 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:35 am

Anigu markaan these middealeasteren people arko dariiqa Maqaxiyaasha tukaanada They expect me To speak arabic eventho i speak arabic.,
waxaan iska dhigga miid iska dhago tiiraya

Miid baa malind dhoweyd IGu laha uu Yemeni aah Anta mehri ,waan xanaqay Uu markaas aanku yidhi Anta yahuudii ana mush kuwayz kalam cala hatha markaas ayuu is buufiye

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:58 am

why do you look like costa?

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Suldaanka Guud beelaha reer Sheikh isxaaq Bani Axmed Bani Hashiim. In the republic of Soliziland

Postby The_Emperior5 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 am

gurey25 wrote::lol:
why do you look like costa?

ilahay iga ma dhigiin , :lol: laalin madowga yar ayuu mala mooday inan ahay Yamani qaxdaani ah ayu ii mooday Ilahay iga ma dhigiin
ciil maan qabeen haduu igu yidha Ma xabashii baad tahay , Laakin Meheri oo kabbo siide ah , Anigu Ahlu al baiti ah wa gaff weyaan weyn

SahanGalbeed
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SahanGalbeed » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 am

:lol: , me the same thing , they all expect me to speak arabic .. then I say " qaliil ..qaliil " :lol:

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 am

salafi_student wrote:GO TO ARAB ( from Middle east) AND TELL HIM YOU ARE ARAB...... see what he says!

Its the opposite... all the Arabs I meet emphatically say "You are Arab, Somalis are Arab"

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The_Emperior5 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:58 am

FAH1223 wrote:
salafi_student wrote:GO TO ARAB ( from Middle east) AND TELL HIM YOU ARE ARAB...... see what he says!

Its the opposite... all the Arabs I meet emphatically say "You are Arab, Somalis are Arab"

Cumar carte qalib 1974 sharalam Sheikh Egypt , Ayuhal mulukutum

thats when we became arabs :mrgreen:

salafi_student
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby salafi_student » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:24 am

I see political correctness!

There is nothing wrong with Arabs and they are our brothers/sisters in Islam; in-fact this thread highlighted the Somali history beyond Tribal names is barely undocumented in our knowledge. One theory that few Somalis believe is that our history goes back to Egypt in times of Musa (as) or Faroese; they base their argument purely on the skin complexion. Another more recent history allocates us to Habasha in Abyssinia which also leaves open into debate weather Ethiopian are reuniting with their lost child. Even Googleing is not helpful!

Form structured: Please tell us your ethnicity?

a) White
b) Black & African
c) Arab
d) Asian

Which one do you guys pick, and does our Ethnicity conflict with our race - since Arabs are not categorized as blacks?
Last edited by salafi_student on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby 934 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 am

SahanGalbeed wrote::lol: , me the same thing , they all expect me to speak arabic .. then I say " qaliil ..qaliil " :lol:

:lol: :lol: mine is shuweya shuweya :lol:

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:48 am

salafi_student wrote:I see political correctness!

There is nothing wrong with Arabs and they are our brothers/sisters in Islam; in-fact this thread highlighted the Somali history beyond Tribal names is barely undocumented in our knowledge. One theory that few Somalis believe is that our history goes back to Egypt in times of Musa (as) or Faroese; they base their argument purely on the skin complexion. Another more recent history allocates us to Habasha in Abyssinia which also leaves open into debate weather Ethiopian are reuniting with their lost child. Even Googleing is not helpful!

a) White
b) Black & African
c) Arab
d) Asian

Which one do you guys pick, and does our Ethnicity conflict with our race - since Arabs are not categorized as blacks?

i would pick other

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The_Emperior5 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 am

<<<< NuBian :mrgreen:

SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby 934 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 am

salafi_student wrote:I see political correctness!

a) White
b) Black & African
c) Arab
d) Asian

Black and African.

I though the word Arab has nothing to do with pigmentation.

Black people have been called Arabs since God knows when but never came across any blacks been refered to as european.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.