Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viable solar power has arrived!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Viable solar power has arrived!

Postby James Dahl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:40 pm

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/jul/solar072307.html

Using a novel technology that adds multiple innovations to a very high-performance crystalline silicon solar cell platform, a consortium led by the University of Delaware has achieved a record-breaking combined solar cell efficiency of 42.8 percent from sunlight at standard terrestrial conditions.

That number is a significant advance from the current record of 40.7 percent announced in December and demonstrates an important milestone on the path to the 50 percent efficiency goal set by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). In November 2005, the UD-led consortium received approximately $13 million in funding for the initial phases of the DARPA Very High Efficiency Solar Cell (VHESC) program to develop affordable portable solar cell battery chargers.

Combined with the demonstrated efficiency performance of the very high efficiency solar cells' spectral splitting optics, which is more than 93 percent, these recent results put the pieces in place for a solar cell module with a net efficiency 30 percent greater than any previous module efficiency and twice the efficiency of state-of-the-art silicon solar cell modules.

My emphasis added. Today most solar panels deliver maybe 10% of solar energy as electricity. These new panels are 4 times as efficient as most existing panels! Also:

The highly efficient VHESC solar cell uses a novel lateral optical concentrating system that splits solar light into three different energy bins of high, medium and low, and directs them onto cells of various light sensitive materials to cover the solar spectrum. The system delivers variable concentrations to the different solar cell elements. The concentrator is stationary with a wide acceptance angle optical system that captures large amounts of light and eliminates the need for complicated tracking devices.

Very exciting developments! Well maybe only exciting for me, but still very good developments.

Mr. Yungnfresh
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Viable solar power has arrived!

Postby Mr. Yungnfresh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:14 pm

u guys scared the poor guy out of his maps :lol:

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Mr. Yungnfresh wrote:u guys scared the poor guy out of his maps :lol:

I don't post my maps on here anymore, too much drama.

juisaay

Postby juisaay » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:17 pm

James Dahl wrote:http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/jul/solar072307.html

Using a novel technology that adds multiple innovations to a very high-performance crystalline silicon solar cell platform, a consortium led by the University of Delaware has achieved a record-breaking combined solar cell efficiency of 42.8 percent from sunlight at standard terrestrial conditions.

That number is a significant advance from the current record of 40.7 percent announced in December and demonstrates an important milestone on the path to the 50 percent efficiency goal set by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). In November 2005, the UD-led consortium received approximately $13 million in funding for the initial phases of the DARPA Very High Efficiency Solar Cell (VHESC) program to develop affordable portable solar cell battery chargers.

Combined with the demonstrated efficiency performance of the very high efficiency solar cells' spectral splitting optics, which is more than 93 percent, these recent results put the pieces in place for a solar cell module with a net efficiency 30 percent greater than any previous module efficiency and twice the efficiency of state-of-the-art silicon solar cell modules.

My emphasis added. Today most solar panels deliver maybe 10% of solar energy as electricity. These new panels are 4 times as efficient as most existing panels! Also:

The highly efficient VHESC solar cell uses a novel lateral optical concentrating system that splits solar light into three different energy bins of high, medium and low, and directs them onto cells of various light sensitive materials to cover the solar spectrum. The system delivers variable concentrations to the different solar cell elements. The concentrator is stationary with a wide acceptance angle optical system that captures large amounts of light and eliminates the need for complicated tracking devices.

Very exciting developments! Well maybe only exciting for me, but still very good developments.

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:21 pm

juisaay wrote:

Yeah, cause getting rich and solving the energy crisis is totally lame

juisaay

Postby juisaay » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:22 pm

:roll: :roll:

Mr. Yungnfresh
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Mr. Yungnfresh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:34 pm

James Dahl wrote:

I hear u James...if u ever feel ur going through withdrawal, feel free to post maps of Solar Power Processing Plants :up:

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Mr. Yungnfresh wrote:
James Dahl wrote:

I hear u James...if u ever feel ur going through withdrawal, feel free to post maps of Solar Power Processing Plants :up:

In Somalia, even on cloudy or overcast days there is enough solar energy due to Somalia's environment to power a whole family (including nighttime with charged batteries) from only a few solar panels on the roof, and the sun is so intense it could even be used for industry or automobiles. As solar panels become more efficient, places like Somalia could produce serious amounts of electricity from sunlight alone.

The amusing thing is that the countries that are world leaders in solar energy (the United Kingdom and Germany) are also the most overcast and least logical places to use solar energy, whereas solar power is almost unknown in places like Somalia where there is 3-4 times as much solar energy as Germany.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.