Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Badal Marriages:

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Kolombo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Badal Marriages:

Postby Kolombo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:29 am

Last night I was watching a documentary about the customs of some Palestinian villagers. It said over 80% of their marriages are arranged through swapping/badal marriages i.e. a brother & a sister marry a brother and a sister from another family or a father & daughter marry from a family with a single mother and a son, etc.

This practice is outlawed in Islam, but these people were all Muslim and claiming its the only way Islam permits it. They even interviewed some 'Sheikh' who was claiming it was the custom throughout Islam's history. Rampant ignorance is killing us; both literally & figuratively.

Madd_Scientist_
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Badal Marriages:

Postby Madd_Scientist_ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:32 am

the way i understood it is that the married couples are not related, so how is it xaraam? :?

Anab
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Anab » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:33 am

Last night I was watching a documentary about the customs of some Palestinian villagers. It said over 80% of their marriages are arranged through swapping/badal marriages i.e. a brother & a sister marry a brother and a sister from another family or a father & daughter marry from a family with a single mother and a son, etc.

This practice is outlawed in Islam, but these people were all Muslim and claiming its the only way Islam permits it. They even interviewed some 'Sheikh' who was claiming it was the custom throughout Islam's history. Rampant ignorance is killing us; both literally & figuratively.

Kolombo?? :shock:

The father and son marrying the mother and daughter is wrong. But nothing wong a brother and a sister marrying another family brother and sister. Its very normal. What r u talking about? :roll:

Diyeeshaha_Tolka
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Diyeeshaha_Tolka » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:41 am

sxb qolodaan aad sheegayso waxaa la yiraahdaa samaritans mana ahan muslimiin waa gaaloo ayaga dhaqankaas isticmaala tiradoodana aad ayey u yartahay sabatana waxa tahay guurka noocaas oo ayaga isticmaalaan

Kolombo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kolombo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:42 am

This practice was prohibited, because some Walis (guardians) used to demand that in order for their sisters/daughters to be wed, the family marrying their sisters/daughters had to provide them with brides as well or else they would refuse permitting such a marriage to proceed. This is essentially abusing their power, it was outlawed as a result.

I will find the hadith and put it up soon, insha Allah.

Anab
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Anab » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 am

This practice was prohibited, because some Walis (guardians) used to demand that in order for their sisters/daughters to be wed, the family marrying their sisters/daughters had to provide them with brides as well or else they would refuse permitting such a marriage to proceed. This is essentially abusing their power, it was outlawed as a result.

I will find the hadith and put it up soon, insha Allah.

Kolombo :roll: The problem with u is- u follow hadiths more than the fundamentals of Islam which is the Quran. I would suggest to stop hating on the arabs and concetrate on the diin that was blessed on the arabs and us, mashallah. Common sense wise i dont see anything wrong with the practice. U can't use ancient culture custom to deny something that is not prohibited in the quran. Kolombo-- i think u equate Arab to Islam, and that makes me question your imaan. :cry:

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 am

Kolombo,

Have you ever considered the poverty aspect ? The people may be too destitute to pay a bride price.

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 am

kolombo i didnt understand.
why is haram if the both parties are agreed on exchange?

or they are saying that is only way to marry in islam?

Anab
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Anab » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:49 am

hyper iskaa waraan walaal. :lol: :lol:

Kolombo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kolombo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:53 am

Diyeeshe,

Kuwaan xalay arkay Muslimnimo bey sheeganaayeen.

AW,

The way I understood it, its not about poverty, but about sustaining strong communal ties.

They rarely marry outside their villages and they're a very strong patriarchial society.

hyperactive,

They make it a condition, without find an exchange for themselves, they won't let their daughters/sisters marry.

This makes it illegitimate, because it falls under the category of abusing their power.

Diyeeshaha_Tolka
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Diyeeshaha_Tolka » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:54 am

basra taking part in religion discussion,, waa aakhiro zamaanki ayaa la gaaray

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 am

hyper iskaa waraan walaal. :lol: :lol:
wa nabad, what about you? lol

kolombo, adeer wa daqan hun but not worse than requesting too much mahar that they know the groom cannot afford.
or refusing some one beacuse of their qabiil/class/race.
it's all under abusing of walaya on the women. it's thulm but not haram, if they agreed.
one can refuse though!

Anab
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Anab » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:58 am

Diyeeshe,

Kuwaan xalay arkay Muslimnimo bey sheeganaayeen.

AW,

The way I understood it, its not about poverty, but about sustaining strong communal ties.

They rarely marry outside their villages and they're a very strong patriarchial society.

hyperactive,

They make it a condition, without find an exchange for themselves, they won't let their daughters/sisters marry.

This makes it illegitimate, because it falls under the category of abusing their power.

'because it falls under the category of abusing their power'???

Kolombo r u talking about MAN LAW here or Diin Law? I think u read too much into the nuances of arab culture and mistake it to be the law of diin! Read Quran if u want to know what is legal and what is ilegal in Islam marriages. The basics are-- if he/she can break your Weeso-- u r eligible to marry. The mother/father & son/daughter duo breaks this common principals! The mother in law or father in law clause?? Waa Aayo, no breaking weeso there! LOOOL Kolomobo are u an atheist by the closet? :lol:

Diyeeshaha_Tolka@loooooooooooool WHY??? I always do! Dont u see how many atheists i have ousted?? :lol: :lol:

Kolombo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kolombo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 am

Hyperactive,

There's a hadith that clearly forbids it, I don't want to misquote it, but will put it up as soon as I find it.

About the meher, I heard some women in the Gulf states are reaching their 30s without marriage proposals because fathers are demanding large meher.

Basra,

Are you done with psycho-analyzing me?

Anab
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Anab » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:08 am

Hyperactive,

There's a hadith that clearly forbids it, I don't want to misquote it, but will put it up as soon as I find it.

About the meher, I heard some women in the Gulf states are reaching their 30s without marriage proposals because fathers are demanding large meher.

Basra,

Are you done with psycho-analyzing me?

Kolombo is that WHAT u r afraid of? Me psycho-analyzing u and getting up close and personal with ya? :lol: :lol: YES-- i am done. I know so much now. :lol: :lol:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.