Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who said Somali Bantus didn't contribute to Somali History

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Warsame101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Who said Somali Bantus didn't contribute to Somali History

Postby Warsame101 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:23 pm

This extract shows that around 2,000 Somali Bantus were enlisted in the Daraawiish army. In the aftermath of the Gumburo battle, two Yao Daraawiish were captured. Yao are Somali Bantus desended from the waYao ethnic in Tanzania.

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Who said Somali Bantus didn't contribute to Somali History

Postby Shirib » Wed May 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Yes true also, Nasiib Bunto established a community in Gosha and fought the Italians colonialists there.

Warsame do u have anymore info on the Gosha revolts, this is all I could find
In 1890 the so called Gosha Revolt began and was led by Nassib Bunto. The revolt started in the lower Shabelle as a struggle against slavery. Bunto recruited the majority of his men from freed slaves who deserted their Italian landlords. He established his center in the Gosha region (now part of lower shabelle) and he began a resistance. His region became a safe haven for escaped slaves where they established farming, cattle herding, training in handicrafts, and manufacturing tools and weapons. These newly freed men resisted the Italian landlords and colonizers. The Gosha Revolt kept the Italians from taking the area and pushing inwards for decades, until its defeat in 1907.

http://digil-mirifle.com/index.php?PHPS ... 243&page=8

Warsame101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Warsame101 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Nasiib Bantu was a powerful Sultan of the Gosha but unfortunately, I do not know much about their revolt. What I do know is that one of the main enemies were the Somalis.

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Shirib » Wed May 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Nasiib Bantu was a powerful Sultan of the Gosha but unfortunately, I do not know much about their revolt. What I do know is that one of the main enemies were the Somalis.
Yea he had major Somali enemies who wanted to keep bantu's down and under enslavement :down:

Cawar
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cawar » Wed May 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Warsame,

Unfortunately for somalis..history and contribution is synonymous with fighting and more specificly with geel grabbing etc etc,
But contributing to somali history in a positive way..has many aspects..including taking care of the beero and basically feeding other somalis for so long.

Oh yeah mentioning those fighters and Mujahids is a big thing for us somalis too and something that many were not aware... So good that you pointed that out...and thanks :up:

Somaliman50
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Somaliman50 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Are they the same ones who dwell on the Webi Shabelle banks? If so,

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Somali Bantus we need to give them affirmative action for having been unfairly treated for so long. :up:

CoolPoisons
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby CoolPoisons » Wed May 20, 2009 2:38 pm

the runaway slaves were abdihutu's people

precious_dyme
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby precious_dyme » Wed May 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Intresting.

paidmonk
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby paidmonk » Wed May 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Most of their contributions in Somalia are related to religion. They created many if not all of the more severe animist elements of Suufism, especially in places in the Jubba, Shabelle, and Hiiraan regions where Bantus form a percentage near or above 20% of the population. I can tell you some of the more bizarre rituals they helped introduce, prepare for shock and awe. The most venerated Suufi sheikh in my hometown came directly from Uganda from tales I heard.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Wed May 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Most of their contributions in Somalia are related to religion. They created many if not all of the more severe animist elements of Suufism, especially in places in the Jubba, Shabelle, and Hiiraan regions where Bantus form a percentage near or above 20% of the population. I can tell you some of the more bizarre rituals they helped introduce, prepare for shock and awe. The most venerated Suufi sheikh in my hometown came directly from Uganda from tales I heard.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on they kept the country on life support due to their farming. :up: :lol:

paidmonk
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby paidmonk » Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm

I didn't say they didn't contribute to society in other ways, I just listed the most obvious influence I've seen thus far.

Cisse Westlake
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cisse Westlake » Wed May 20, 2009 4:53 pm

the runaway slaves were abdihutu's people
:lol: :down:

sweeti
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby sweeti » Wed May 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Interesting...i didn't know that walaahi..thnx for sharing

Niya
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: At the end of the tunnel, waiting for the light to come on.

Postby Niya » Wed May 20, 2009 5:01 pm

In 1890 the so called Gosha Revolt began and was led by Nassib Bunto. The revolt started in the lower Shabelle as a struggle against slavery. Bunto recruited the majority of his men from freed slaves who deserted their Italian landlords. He established his center in the Gosha region (now part of lower shabelle) and he began a resistance. His region became a safe haven for escaped slaves where they established farming, cattle herding, training in handicrafts, and manufacturing tools and weapons. These newly freed men resisted the Italian landlords and colonizers. The Gosha Revolt kept the Italians from taking the area and pushing inwards for decades, until its defeat in 1907.

http://digil-mirifle.com/index.php?PHPS ... 243&page=8

The first time I read about Nasib Bundo, it was in the book 'From Mogadishu to Dixon' edited by Abdi Kusow et. al. I could not help bursting out laughing........out of ignorance about Somali history maybe, but the paragraph reads like something out of Sojourner Truth's diary. I even posted a question here inquiring about Nasib bundo

I have doubts and reservation about Somali's written history one comes across as biased and the other as revisionist.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.