Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Definitely' is most commonly misspelt word

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
1_londoner
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

'Definitely' is most commonly misspelt word

Postby 1_londoner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:23 pm

'Definitely' is the most commonly misspelt word in the English language, a study has found.

The 10-letter word came top in a study of everyday words Britons struggle to spell correctly, with most of us regularly mixing up the second 'I' with an 'A' on a regular basis.

Second place was 'sacrilegious', which leaves people confused over whether it has an 'E' or 'I' in the middle.

The fourth most difficult word was 'manoeuvre' which causes problems due to the proximity of the 'O' and 'E' to each other.

'Bureaucracy', which is awkward because the inclusion of so many vowels, was fifth.

A spokesperson for market research company http://www.OnePoll.com, which carried out the study of 5,000 people, said: "So many of us can't seem to spell.

"Whether it is down to the structure of the word, or the frequency of use, there is no excuse not to learn how they are formed.

"And considering people judge others, yet don't like their intelligence to be judged by how well they spell, they should up their game and pick up a dictionary."

The vegetable 'broccoli' – came sixth, followed by 'phlegm' at seven and 'prejudice' at eight.

'Consensus' and 'unnecessary' completed the top ten.

Other difficult words to feature in the poll include 'supersede' at 11, 'connoisseur' at 15 and 'particularly' at 17.

Confusion over the number of Ns in 'questionnaire' meant it came twelfth, with 'entrepreneur' fourteenth and 'parallel' at 19.

The survey revealed some very odd ways the nation spells words which just failed to make the top 20.

Nearly one in 10 (nine per cent) thought 'mortgage' was spelt 'morgauge' and seven per cent often spell 'speech' as 'speach'.

Ninety per cent admit to giving up trying to spell 'diarrhoea' and a third get it so wrong their PC spellchecker can't even recognise the word they're attempting to conquer. :lol:

The research also found 57 per cent judge other people on their spelling, with 42 per cent admitting they believe people who can't spell are 'thick'. :lol:

Oddly enough, most Brits rate their spelling as 'good'.

Half of Brits admit the spell-check and auto-correcting on computers is to blame for their laziness in not checking spelling.

One in three reckon predictive text messaging and 'text speak' are to blame for terrible spelling in the real world.

Over three-quarters of the adults polled (78 per cent) said women are generally better at spelling than men. :mrgreen:

Six out of ten said they were embarrassed by their poor spelling skills and one in ten corrected others when they spell something incorrectly and yet a third are irritated by being correct themselves.

Worryingly, a third believe the art of spelling is something 'you just learn in school'. :lol: :lol:

Ka darag
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: He's not invisible anymore, with his father's nine and a broken fuse.

Re: 'Definitely' is most commonly misspelt word

Postby Ka darag » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 pm

OMGGGGGGGGGG

I USED TO BE THE BEST AT SPELLING TESTS IN PRIMARY SCHOOL MAN ...DEY SHUD HAVE THEM NOW AS WELL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :up:

Ms.Erudite
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Ms.Erudite » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Definitely ....is definitely hard to spell....at least I'm not alone :up:

But not being able to spell supersede or consensus is just stupid :lol:

surrender
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby surrender » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:36 pm

Ninety per cent admit to giving up trying to spell 'diarrhoea' and a third get it so wrong their PC spellchecker can't even recognise the word they're attempting to conquer.
:lol: :lol:

OMG that is so true i used to struggle trying to spell 'Bureaucracy' 'broccoli' and 'questionnaire' :oops:

Ka darag
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ka darag » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:39 pm

Ninety per cent admit to giving up trying to spell 'diarrhoea' and a third get it so wrong their PC spellchecker can't even recognise the word they're attempting to conquer.
:lol: :lol:

OMG that is so true i used to struggle trying to spell 'Bureaucracy' 'broccoli' and 'questionnaire' :oops:
WTF...........HOW CAN U NOT SPELL BROCCOLI AND QUESTIONNAIRE????????

QUESTIONNAIRE....THERE IS A VOWEL SO THE CONSTANANT IS DOUBLED :clap:

OKAY...EVEN THO MY SPELLING IS LIKE AMAZINGLY GOOD...I THINK I SPELL DEFINATELY WRONG

DAMMIT :x

razzberry
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby razzberry » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:08 pm

I can spell definitely but I’ve always had trouble with the word necessary or necessarily :|

I blame the computer for people’s bad spelling skills now days. People rarely have to manually write anything.

Shilka Jr.
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Shilka Jr. » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm

There's British English (hard and has more letters in each word) and simple dumb American English. WTF is Manoeuvre? We say Maneuver! :mrgreen:

Twisted_Logic
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Speaking up against Somalinet's tolerance for Al Qaida Loyalists

Postby Twisted_Logic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:22 pm

'Definitely' is the most commonly misspelt word in the English language, a study has found.
I can attest to this

surrender
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby surrender » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:23 pm

OKAY...EVEN THO MY SPELLING IS LIKE AMAZINGLY GOOD...I THINK I SPELL DEFINATELY WRONG

walahi those words used to do my head in. remember when you were young the certain suurado in the quran that used to be so hard and you were stuck on them forever? thats how these words felt!

Ka darag
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ka darag » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:25 pm

walahi those words used to do my head in. remember when you were young the certain suurado in the quran that used to be so hard and you were stuck on them forever? thats how these words felt!
:lol:

Alphamander

Postby Alphamander » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:54 pm

I can't imagine how anyone could get wrong ''definitely''; but then it's used frequently in mathematics (not as an adverb; but as an adjective, as in ''definite integral''), so it's probable that I would have got it wrong, if it were not to it. I guess one could remember it by combining ''de'' and ''finite''; but then most people do not at all use the word ''finite'', let alone to know what ''de'' means. I wonder what people use instead of ''finite''; and as well how can one lead a meaningful life without being able to define things between finite and infinite, assuming that one can't know the infinite if one doesn't know the finite.

'Manoeuvre' is a beautiful word; and when one say it, it has this romantic and rosy French effect it has on the lips that utter it and the ears that receive it. Phlegm, connoisseur, entrepreneur, and prejudice are as well beautiful; as are parallel and supersede, sacrilegious, and bureaucracy; and all are French by origin. French is a beautiful language and perhaps because of it they are always associated with romance; and, as well, it could be that the French as people are naturally romantic and because of them is the French, as language, is romantic. I don't know. It could be either. It could as well be an illusion created in our brains by the vision of Paris and its glittering opera palaces which they play all those dramatic musical suites. Ah, I've quite a strange affinity with French and the French. But it's quite sad the words that most of people often fail to spell happen to be the most beautiful. Is anyone wondering the reason most words that people can't often spell happen to be French by origin? I thought those which are Latin by origin would prove to be hard, but guess I was wrong. 'Consensus' and 'mortgage' are very easy to spell. 'Sacrilegious' is very excusable. ''Broccoli'' is ugly and doesn't deserve to describe flower head; it should be eliminated from the English language back to its Italian origin. 'Diarrhoea' isn't easy for anyone. I bet we subconsciously avoid even trying to learn it. Terrible word.

nomadicwarlord
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby nomadicwarlord » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:07 am

Shit, I've been spelling it "DEFINETLY" for years. :lol:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.