Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somalia's Oil potential

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Somalia's Oil potential

Postby Basra- » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:42 am

:lol: :lol:

*Nobleman*
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby *Nobleman* » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 am

Part of me wishes there is no oil. We cant even agree on current governance and you can only imagine if oil comes into play.

Oil = wealth = more money for advanced weponary = prolonged conflict.

Knowing the somalis and their thought process i can actually see oil in X territory, claimed soley by X qabil :down:

Galmeygaag
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: 2 the Angleofdeath..Seefta-Sade is drawn, N by Allah the slaves of Amxaar will pay for their crimes.

Postby Galmeygaag » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 am

Nobleman

it wont even get that far, before any development in the field takes places tribes in the oil rich region will be put against neighboring tribes, and they will retaliate, starting another destructive war.

i agree Oil is nothing but bad news of a weak country, and what we have in our case is worse than a weak country, its a failed country :|

*Nobleman*
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby *Nobleman* » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 pm

Nobleman

it wont even get that far, before any development in the field takes places tribes in the oil rich region will be put against neighboring tribes, and they will retaliate, starting another destructive war.

i agree Oil is nothing but bad news of a weak country, and what we have in our case is worse than a weak country, its a failed country :|

:up:

I agree bro.

Hypothetically speaking say Somalia had proven oil resources. Then in my opinion I wouldnt even explore the idea until Somalia had peace and stability for 20 years, plus a functioning agriculturual and manufacturing industry and also already have a trade surplus that will make Somalia self dependant without oil. But stuff like this probably wont happen in our life time, a generation of people with cuqdad need to die out before any institutions can even be set up.

Oil is the last thing we need.

*Nobleman*
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby *Nobleman* » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Check out this oil company based in south africa who claim they have rights to oil in somaliland. Dont know if there is any truth in this though.

http://www.ophirenergy.com/Default.aspx ... age_id=230

galia2
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby galia2 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:14 pm

Like i said we are only like 9 million, therefore their is enough money to go around for everyone. The fault always lies in the Somali leadership or elite. They also seem to lack vision but are more interested in eradicating one another rather than working with each other.
Just take a good hard look at al-shabaab as they drive themselves into oblivion, these guys could have been part and parcel of somalia's apparatus but they choose a self destructive part at the cost of somalia and her children.

Nobleman all the oil rights is contracted to US companies which was legalized by the previous government before its collapse.
When peace does eventually return to somalia, i am sure that these US companies would provide the documents that the previous government had signed for them to continue with their oil exploration in Somalia.

Ganjaweed
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Ganjaweed » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Nobleman

:up:

I agree bro.

Hypothetically speaking say Somalia had proven oil resources. Then in my opinion I wouldnt even explore the idea until Somalia had peace and stability for 20 years, plus a functioning agriculturual and manufacturing industry and also already have a trade surplus that will make Somalia self dependant without oil. But stuff like this probably wont happen in our life time, a generation of people with cuqdad need to die out before any institutions can even be set up.

Oil is the last thing we need.
Bingo, you both got it spot on. If oil is found in somalia while there isn't any proper government and infrastructure, then it will lead to further corrupt ministers, violence, and not to mention being ripped by foreign oil companies like some of the other african countries. I would prefer to establish an economy based on industry and manufacture, communication and finance; as well as being agriculturally self-suffient. But to lay the foundations for a healthy economy you need proper infrastructure which costs money. Somalia has little to no skilled work-force (and that is if the somalis can even be bothered working) and few academics and graduates (the ones that aren't targetted for suicide bombings). Somalia can't be the livestock provider for the gulf countries forever.
Check out this oil company based in south africa who claim they have rights to oil in somaliland. Dont know if there is any truth in this though.

http://www.ophirenergy.com/Default.aspx ... age_id=230
:lol: Let them try and get it.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.