Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hilib ari

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
sexy-kitten
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: You'll never catch me, might as well just watch me.

Re: Hilib ari

Postby sexy-kitten » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks Koronto, I've got guests coming over this Saturday and I've got pretty much everything written that I'm gonna make and I wanna do a different hilib. Don't laugh at me, but I've made hilib with brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, garlic, etc... and the spices really complimented the brown sugar and honey. It balanced itself out and that was great!

OliveOil
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: I walk this empty street on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Postby OliveOil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 am

Marinade the suckers in a tamarind, lemon, olive oil, roasted garlic, minced onion, cumin & corriander mix. Refrigerate over-night in a ziploc freezer bag. Following day, get your grill going and grill those bad boys. Then serve with a plate of couscous with dates, tabouli salad and some mint flavored iced tea.

Omg i am soo gonna write this down...thnx Kolombo

Koronto60

Postby Koronto60 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:16 am

You're welcome.

I think you were tryna go for baby back ribs style with the bbq, sweet & sour thing, right? There are actually 100% vegeterian baby back ribs by a company called Morning Star. Look for it in your supermarket freezer isle. They come already packaged. Taste decent.

Instead of doing the usual hilib ari, bariis, etc. Why don't you do something different? Like Moroccan dishes or do Fish biriyani, youtube them. Maybe do a lot of appetizers instead with jalapeno poppers, mozarella sticks, crab cakes, etc?

What are you gonna do for dessert? May I suggest Mrs Smith's frozen apple pie with cinnabon crumbs? Pop it in the oven for 1 hr and serve it hot & delicious with some homemade Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. That's how they be doing in it here in the South.

oldenglish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby oldenglish » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 am

I'd rather eat a burger then eat ethnic food especially somalian stuff.

sexy-kitten
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby sexy-kitten » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 am

You're welcome.

I think you were tryna go for baby back ribs style with the bbq, sweet & sour thing, right? There are actually 100% vegeterian baby back ribs by a company called Morning Star. Look for it in your supermarket freezer isle. They come already packaged. Taste decent.

Instead of doing the usual hilib ari, bariis, etc. Why don't you do something different? Like Moroccan dishes or do Fish biriyani, youtube them. Maybe do a lot of appetizers instead with jalapeno poppers, mozarella sticks, crab cakes, etc?

What are you gonna do for dessert? May I suggest Mrs Smith's frozen apple pie with cinnabon crumbs? Pop it in the oven for 1 hr and serve it hot & delicious with some homemade Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. That's how they be doing in it here in the South.
I have a couple of dishes in mind, I just wanted to do something with hilib that's all.

I got the desert, I'm doing kitten style chocolate melt down... Brownie with chocolate mousse inside and ice cream. Yum right? :lol: Shit, now I can't wait!!

Oldenglish, YOU'RE LYING! What happened? Bad experience? Food too oily?

oldenglish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby oldenglish » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:26 am

I HATE somalian food, always did-hilib ari,anjeelo ect.

Its not the oil its the stench plus I grew up on pasta and suugo. And burgers on the weekend. Now that Im grown I dont revist the early stage where anjeelo was forced fed to me :?

sexy-kitten
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby sexy-kitten » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 am

Its not the oil its the stench plus I grew up on pasta and suugo. And burgers on the weekend. Now that Im grown I dont revist the early stage where anjeelo was forced fed to me :?
I grew up on lasagna and alfredo pasta but I also got my Somali food in on Fridays. It all depends on how it's cooked and if you like spicy food or not. When I say spicy, I mean make white people cry spicy. :up:

oldenglish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby oldenglish » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:33 am

I grew up on lasagna and alfredo pasta but I also got my Somali food in on Fridays. It all depends on how it's cooked and if you like spicy food or not. When I say spicy, I mean make white people cry spicy. :up:

Yuke!

Its the anglo in me, I'll stick with my anglo diet. Plus Somalians have a stench that is due to their diet. Rather off beat.

Samatr
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Samatr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 am

I've never had hilib ari, but I've had hilib adhi. :lol:

sexy-kitten
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby sexy-kitten » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:40 am

Old, you should go to ethnic restaurants and tell them to make something nice for you, nice way to start. :up:

I've never had hilib ari, but I've had hilib adhi. :lol:
There goes Samantha with his daily jokes. Oh shut up, it's ari and adhi! :roll: :P

Samatr
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Samatr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 am

It's past your bed time, cat's eating goats what is the world coming to.
maxaa ku soo jeediyay wakhtigan?

oldenglish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby oldenglish » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:44 am

Old, you should go to ethnic restaurants and tell them to make something nice for you, nice way to start. :up:

I'm safe knowing the toilet bowl at McDonalds is far more sanitary than any Somali restaurant kitchen.

I'll pass.

abdalla11
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: If you got mooryaan problems if feel for you son, i got 99 problems and a southie aint one

Postby abdalla11 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:23 am

Cooking should be every woman's hobby :up:

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:26 am

Turkey Bacon :D :up:

LobsterUnit
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LobsterUnit » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:33 am

Is there any OTHER way to make hilib adhi other than the traditional Somali and Indian style? I add mine with bbq sauce and soy sauce...delicious! Any suggestions? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
put jam on it? eat it raw, lakin. :down:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.