Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lets talk about Somali"land".

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Alchemist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Lets talk about Somali"land".

Postby Alchemist » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 pm

A discussion occurred between a very good friend of mine and I on the whole Somaliland trying to be it's own country issue.

His argument was Somaliland can not wait any longer for the rest of Somalia to put its act together. That the people of Somaliland suffered a lot under the hands of the former government.

My response to this was simple. I agreed with him on his points. Somaliland had ever right to improve the lives of it's citizens. But at the same time it was important that we the somali youth and by youth i mean all those under 40 to have a different out look on Somalia all together from the older generation but at the same time learn from the past. No doubt the people of the north were wronged and we should be sensitive to what has happened to them. All Somalis suffered one way or another. But one thing all thinking Somalis should try to protect no matter the cost or political view is the unity of the country. No matter the view one might have of the past regime, We Somalis should accept by now there will be somethings we will never agree on which is alright. Most countries in the world have people who disagree on major issues yet live together in peace. If Somalia is to be divided up into little countries like Qatar Bahrain and Kuwait we will amount nothing more than a base for a superpower each trying to please its master, which is the case really at the moment :D unity is always better for the muslims. Talking to all the shabab supporters :D

Also the whole each region becoming its own country idea is really a silly way of looking at things. Each tribe pretends to be its own nation. Throws a party once a year where only those he/she knows show up. where everyone knows his/her name. In my humble view it is much better to take over a country even by bloodshed than dividing an entire nation. If you dont like the way things are going try to change it like so many before have done.

In the end he sort of agreed with me :up:

So i ask the Somaliland youth, why do you think separating from the rest of Somalia is the right course?

No qabil bashing please, lets have a meaningful discussion.
Last edited by Alchemist on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Yungnfresh
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Lets talk about Somaliland.

Postby Mr. Yungnfresh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:43 pm

One of my friends just got back from Hargaysa after living there for 2 years and he broke it down for me: people born in Somaliland after '88 are strictly taught that Somalia is an enemy state, just like what we consider Ethiopia. I'm sure not everyone believes that, lakiin he said the clear majority live by it and would die for it. So I don't think there's any hope, especially when those who are almost 20 and under that were born there were never "united" with Somalia in the first place.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Alch aka Nabeela Aka Voltage

I often wondered WHY do you care if somaliland separates. I used to think it was just purely jealousy for the isaaqs and pure refusal to accept the inadequacy of your foe people. (the marehaan, or generally- darood)

I mean, you are obsessed to refuse somaliland to be recognized. Upto the point where u make frequent ridicule of the isaaqs in maintaining their point of separation, inventing stories like--spoting isaaqs in a jew online forum where they bring up somaliland recognition. :clap: Granted, it is funny, but now its becoming down right obsessive. :clap:

My theory is-- u r against qabils governing their own lands. As a decendant of marehaan regime, u know--if every qabil controls its land--u r basically screwed. Marehaan dont have a land, if they have--its an arid, infertile gedo city which no human wants.

Fair analysis? :clap: :clap:

Alchemist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alchemist » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Mr. Yungnfresh.. that is sad bro. Hopefully there will rise in that region a norther who is free from the corruption and influences of all those who want to separate a nation. But it has to come from them, unity can not be forced on anybody.

Basra- please dont xaar on my topic :D

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Give them their own country, no one loses except them. The south has their farms and vast mineral wealth, Puntland has oil and possibly gold, they'll be stuck with a sterile desert the size of my left ass cheek. I don't get why anyone would try to block their independence, everyone has a right to self-determination and if a majority of them vote on it I would have no problem granting them independence. Why is this even a discussion, I mean if we were losing oil fields or rivers I'd be enraged because Somali resources would be getting split but we are losing the least productive and least potential region in the country, this is as good as it will ever get for them.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:51 pm

alcha ka nabeela aka voltage

why? did i touch a nerve?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enemy_Of_Mad_Mullah
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: In the plains out in hawdka im'a tell ya, mess with the reer and a vest could'nt help ya

Postby Enemy_Of_Mad_Mullah » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 am

they'll be stuck with a sterile desert .
the irony :lol: :lol:

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Re: Lets talk about Somali"land".

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:41 am

What irony? A desert with oil is not sterile, it produces something after all. Mali is a sterile desert, Saudi Arabia is not, and in the case of Somalia - Somaliland is sterile, Puntland is not. :som:

Alchemist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alchemist » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:42 am

Enemy_Of_Mad_Mullah whats your opinion bro? This topic was made for you :D A pro sharia type of brother from Somaliland.

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:17 am

Give them their own country, no one loses except them. The south has their farms and vast mineral wealth, Puntland has oil and possibly gold, they'll be stuck with a sterile desert the size of my left ass cheek. I don't get why anyone would try to block their independence, everyone has a right to self-determination and if a majority of them vote on it I would have no problem granting them independence. Why is this even a discussion, I mean if we were losing oil fields or rivers I'd be enraged because Somali resources would be getting split but we are losing the least productive and least potential region in the country, this is as good as it will ever get for them.

For the most part these really kind of our sentiments. The most You can say they'd be leaving with is Coastal Land, and since almost all Somalia is coast that is not a big deal. I'd grand them independence in a heart beat.

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 am

All these mamuul are mere woredas of Zenawi. He runs the show.

Somaliweyn has been traded for Xabashiweyn :down:

Cirwaaq
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cirwaaq » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:16 am

In any binding contract those signing into a unified agreement must all have vested interest or direct gain in the commitment. Prior to unification all groups entering into an agreement must also declare their net contripution to the unity. It is also critical to align many elements prior to unification;

- Political system
- Civil liberty and laws
- State values
- Security apparatus
- power sharing
- Trade laws and taxation
- Educational parameters
- Social parameters
- Development

Unification is an empty vessel, a single flag does not strengthen unity, a single man sitting in vila somalia as head of a central goverment or a federal geovernment does not enhance somali unity. This unity has a greater chance of causing further hate and death between differing clans if we have learnt anything from history.

Yes Unity sounds great and sounds fun and grand however the consequences that accompany unity are before all of our eyes.

We would be far better off enhancing the inter-relations between clans, trade, security, aligning our currencies, taxation, trasportation, education, the health sector, systems of law(believe me they differ)... etc

Forcing unity on all somalis is like building a house by having the roof in place first and then working out the shape of the rest of the house and it's design, function and number of rooms.

For 20 years i have not heard a single sells pitch made to somaliland as why they should buy the idea of unity!!!

What are we selling to them?

Do they need it?

Do they want it?

Because the only commodity we have presented them is "Recognition" we have it in Moqadishu and that is the only item on our shell oh yes next to it we have a box marked "Unity" however we have no idea what is inside it and how much we want to charge them northerners yet for 20 years each time they have come to our shop to enquire about the Item on our shell called recognition we have offered them in a cross sell a box marked unity as a sustitute even though we don't even know what is inside it.

We are bound to loose more trying to sell a dead donkey to northerners when they are in the market window shopping for a race horse.

Let us fill our shop shelves first at least before we attempt to cross sell them onto other products.

abdalla11
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: If you got mooryaan problems if feel for you son, i got 99 problems and a southie aint one

Postby abdalla11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:57 am

Mama Hargeisa is angry, she will come back soon after she's calmed :sland: :up:

Faranacab
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Faranacab » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 am

Fair, discussion. Later. :up:

Paddington Bear
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Paddington Bear » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 am

But at the same time it was important that we the somali youth and by youth i mean all those under 40 to have a different out look on Somalia all together from the older generation but at the same time learn from the past. So i ask the Somaliland youth, why do you think separating from the rest of Somalia is the right course?

No qabil bashing please, lets have a meaningful discussion.
Wuhuu, I'm still a youth! :mrgreen:

Of course, your whole argument crumbles on this youth point. If you "learn from the past" you would not repeat the mistakes of your elders just because you are young, adeer. Then again, life is all about cycles. So wait for this cycle to finish (with SL having its independence and running its own affairs) first before you call for unity. Maybe ten or fifteen years after recognition you can try to approach us and seduce us with this unity talk (you'll be an old man by then). But today, I reckon it is nigh on impossible to convince anyone. My cousin Cali Gaab will not have it but I may be persuaded for a nominal fee (and if things go belly up, I could always count on a pardon from adeero Siilaanyo). :mrgreen:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.