Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somali Population In The States.

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Somali Population In The States.

Postby Advo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 pm

.....The exaggeration of the Somali Community in terms of numbers, we tend to always multiply by 10. Turns out there's no more than 85,000 Somalis in America.

MINNEAPOLIS -- Nearly one in three people with Somali ancestry in the United States now live in the Minnesota, which has the largest concentration in the country, according to government data released Tuesday.

The latest report from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey found about 25,000 of the 85,700 Somalis in the U.S. live in Minnesota. Ohio, Washington and California also had large populations of Somalis, but the survey data found no more than 10,500 of them in any state except Minnesota.
Article Controls

There, the Somali population is growing, Minnesota State Demographer Tom Gillaspy said. The 2000 Census pegged it at 11,164.

The proof is on the streets of the Twin Cities, said Hashi Shafi of the Somali Action Alliance in Minneapolis.

Minneapolis Public Schools reported 1,345 of the district's students spoke Somali at home during the 2008-2009 school year, and Shafi said the number is growing every year.

He remembers a time when there were only two mosques in Minneapolis - now he can point to four on one block.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/12/ ... 03874.html

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Re: Somali Population In The States.

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Every Somali in the states knows each other, I never believed the BS ballooned statistics. Until that massive exodus to Minneapolis 4-5 years ago everyone here knew each other but now there's a bunch of randoms who recently arrived and kids who were born inside Xamar long after the civil war and no one knows their families so everyone treats them like bastard children with no lineage and no one bothers to know hebel hebel anymore. Its a mess now.

VybzKartel
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby VybzKartel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:20 am

Somalis don't participate in the census. The number is not as big as Somalis make it out to be but it is not nearly as small as this article makes it out to be. My town does not have a large Somali population but we shut down the city on EID. It is like the entire town came out to pray.

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:21 am

Advo, why do you always have average and below-average girls on your avatar? :|

afisoone
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: We all want to become president even though Amisom controls Mogadishu

Postby afisoone » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:27 am

Illeen advo gabar yar ayee aheed.. Yaa... Naa heedhe maxaa mar hore igu sheegi weysay..... Naa ma mareexaan maa tahay.. koleyba nin mareexan ah ayaan kuu qabi jiray... Laakiin maanta gabar baa noqotay... Allahu akbar.. Cafwan.. hadaladaadi hore ayaa layaabi jiray oo waxaa dhihi jiray war kan naag miyaa....

laakiin saadaasheedi run ayee noqotay.. Walee gabar baa aheed... thanks for revealing yourself..

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:29 am

Vybz I would definitely say the actual number is not that far from the given one.

Monk, if the said girl on the pic has nice ass-2-hip ratio, she's 9 tops!

Afisoone :lol:

VybzKartel
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby VybzKartel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:41 am

Vybz I would definitely say the actual number is not that far from the given one.

Monk, if the said girl on the pic has nice ass-2-hip ratio, she's 9 tops!

Afisoone :lol:
Advo they are claiming that Columbus, Ohio has less than 10,000 Somalis. I simply refuse to believe that. If you drive that city two out of every three cars that pass you a Somali is driving. Either Somalis love the drive or their numbers are being kept low intentionally.

union
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby union » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:19 am

Somalis conglomerate in one small geographic area, giving the allusion of large numbers but when you go outside that area the numbers drop off quickly. For example, Columbus has a population of nearly 800,000 people, and I would bet that no more than 12,000 of them are somali.

VanHersi
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby VanHersi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:57 am

Wow you got loads of Somali's in US and also in UK.

Their aren't much somali's in Holland and they seperated us out. Like you say in Minnesota they put all the somali in 1 city or 1 area. In Holland they seperated all the somali's out into different citie and areas. I don't know why, but I hear in UK they put all the somali in crap immigrant areas and it look poor. But in Holland I don't know why but they wanted to seperate the immigrants so I rarely hear of more than 2 somali living in the same neighbourhood.

Cumar-Labasuul
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cumar-Labasuul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 am

I still stand by my belief that the largest somali diaspora in the west live in the UK, closely followed by Canada then the US ;)
My rough estimates for 2010 would be:

UK - 100-120k
Canada - 90-110k
US - 80-100k

For each of these communites you could fit them all into the Camp Nou (FC Barcelona's Stadium for those of you who don't know :) )

VanHersi
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby VanHersi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:25 am

I never liked the nou camp. You should see the Amsterdam Arena I have been their many times and wesley sneijder is the best player in the world!

Do you guys still view somali dutch as eurotrash??? Who says that anyway?

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 am

UK - 100-120k
Canada - 90-110k
US - 80-100k
)
I think UK is less than a 100k, Canada about 70K and US about another 100K.

With Europe having bigger Somali population.

Cumar-Labasuul
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cumar-Labasuul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:36 am

VanHersi, reer hollandese brought their f'ed up ways to the UK damn Eurotrash :D

Advo, majority of the euro somalis migrated to the UK

VanHersi
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby VanHersi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:48 am

VanHersi, reer hollandese brought their f'ed up ways to the UK damn Eurotrash :D

Advo, majority of the euro somalis migrated to the UK
Whats this eurotrash I keep hearing walahi?

Yh its the UK somali who keep saying it. We aren't eurotash, neo. Whats the difference between dutch somali and Uk somali?

yunis09
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby yunis09 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 am

UK - 100-120k
Canada - 90-110k
US - 80-100k
)
I think UK is less than a 100k, Canada about 70K and US about another 100K.

With Europe having bigger Somali population.
sxb tower hamlet has between 20k-40k, bristol has between 20k-30k
woolwich alone has 5k+ :mrgreen:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.