Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WOMAN GIVEN 6 WEEKS TO LIVE AFTER CANCER IS STILL LIVE 13 YE

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Daanyeer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

WOMAN GIVEN 6 WEEKS TO LIVE AFTER CANCER IS STILL LIVE 13 YE

Postby Daanyeer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Woman given six weeks to live after cancer diagnosis is still going strong... 13 YEARS later

By Daily Mail Reporter
9th February 2011

A woman cancer sufferer who was given just weeks to live has stunned her doctors by surviving for another 13 years - and is still going strong.

Mother-of-two Sue Wigg, 56, was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1998 after cancerous tumours were found in her liver and brain. Doctors told her and her devastated family that she was likely to live for just another six weeks.

But miraculously Sue's immune system fought back and, following drug treatment and radiotherapy, she has gradually beaten the disease day-by-day.

And against all odds she is now living a full and healthy life, although she has not yet been given the all-clear.

Doctors have described Sue's case as rare and unusual but not unique.

Sue, a special needs teacher from West Sussex, first visited the doctors in February 1998 with a small patch of irritated skin. She was sent for tests and doctors discovered she had skin cancer which had spread to a satsuma-sized tumour in her liver.

Sue, who worked full-time until her illness, was taken into hospital for six months of treatment on a drug trial programme. It was successful and she was allowed to go home to her husband Michael, now 59, and their two sons.

Shortly afterwards, she began suffering from headaches and went back to hospital, where an MRI scan revealed a tumour in her brain. At this point the cancer was thought to be terminal and she was told she had just six weeks to live.

But she underwent stereotactic radiotherapy in the autumn of 1998 in an attempt to shrink the tumour. Incredibly the cancer started to retreat.

Sue, who is mum to Graham, 30, and Keith, 29, said: 'The illness came out of the blue. I was working full-time, I didn't smoke or drink or take holidays in exotic places. I didn't do anything that would put me in a high-risk category.

'But I noticed an irritation on my skin that I couldn't get rid of. It was itchy and black, and because I don't go to the doctor very often I think they realised how worried I was.

'They referred me to a dermatologist who sent me for tests, but to be honest I already had my suspicions.
'Everything was happening very fast and it was all terribly urgent. It was pretty obvious that something was very wrong. They told us it was terminal and I asked right out "how long have I got?"

'The doctor told me we were probably thinking about a couple of months but I found out later they told the rest of my family I had about six weeks left. I remember thinking "I'm just going to have as many months as I can".

When I came out of hospital, I really craved normality. I wanted nothing more than to be at home pottering around and cleaning the toilet - anything to have total anonymity again.

'I never thought about going off to travel the world or get anything particular done before I died - I just wanted to spend time with my family.'
But after the treatment to her brain the tumour began to shrink and the weeks turned into months as Sue began to defy the odds.

Sue said: 'After laser surgery on my brain, the impossible happened: the cancer started to retreat.

'Little by little my confidence grew. I felt better and I dared to make plans for the future. There was never a moment when the doctors said I was better, but time went by and I was still here. And here I am 13 years later - I think I was just too busy to die.'

Sue's brain tumour shrunk and disappeared as a result of the radiotherapy and the tumour in her liver is smaller and inactive.

She added: 'I feel very lucky, but in lots of ways. I'm lucky to have a lovely home, a lovely garden, a lovely family, and I'm lucky to still be here to appreciate them.'

Since her first diagnosis, Sue has had a mole removed from her leg in 2005 and lymph nodes removed last year. She also undergoes regular tests to check for the cancerous cells.

She is now working part-time in a playgroup for children with additional needs.

Dr Raj Mallipeddi, a private dermatologist in London, said: 'It is rare for someone to be given six weeks to live to then go on for 12 years or more. And this may be one of those rare cases where the body's own immune system has in fact fought off the cancer and kept it at bay.'

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.