Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who lived/live in Saudi Arabia - Fact or Fiction

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Those who lived/live in Saudi Arabia - Fact or Fiction

Postby BlackVelvet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:46 am

Fact or Fiction:

1. Women aren't allowed to drive
2. No women on TV
3. If you are seen without hijaab/niqaab random men in the street can beat you up
4. Women can't enter the country without muxrum
5. Women can't travel within or outside the country without a muxrum
6. Domestic abuse is accepted
7. Women are not allowed to practise certain professions
8. Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni

These are the things you will read about if you research Saudi Arabia marka fact or fiction? Also do women work in that country? Can a woman who works in the West relocate to Saudi to work?

ps. In light of number 1 what's the public transport like? Is it okay to take the bus or do you need a muxrum for that as well?
Last edited by BlackVelvet on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Those who lived/live in Saudi Arabia - Fact or Fiction

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:53 am

Interesting thread, but the list should have been bigger. Like women not allowed to practise certain professions, children of expatriates not allowed to study in UNI etc etc. I'm kinda busy, waa inoo hadhow, watch out Murax uu kuliqine....cheers. :)

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:57 am

I cant say but I am pretty sure there's wisdom behind it. I bet Saudi Arabia has the least auto collision and perfect parking in the world.

JolieFille
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby JolieFille » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:04 am

Advo if you have to get the wife a chauffer I am sure she wouldn't complain.

Interesting thread, but the list should have been bigger. Like women not allowed to practise certain professions, children of expatriates not allowed to study in UNI etc etc. I'm kinda busy, waa inoo hadhow, watch out Murax uu kuliqine....cheers. :)
Wow I didn't even know about those, I'll add those 2 to the list. Ask the rest when you get time.

ps Murax yuu liqi kara? :lol:

Meru
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: NIKO CHINI YA MAJI KAMA MANOWARI MAFALA WOTE NAWANGAM

Postby Meru » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:06 am

is this women talk i :lost:
Last edited by Meru on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meru
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: NIKO CHINI YA MAJI KAMA MANOWARI MAFALA WOTE NAWANGAM

Postby Meru » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:08 am

Fact or Fiction:

1. Women aren't allowed to drive
2. No women on TV
3. If you are seen without hijaab/niqaab random men in the street can beat you up
4. Women can't enter the country without muxrum
5. Women can't travel within or outside the country without a muxrum
6. Domestic abuse is accepted
7. Women are not allowed to practise certain professions
8. Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni
if it was not for oil, saudi arabia would be just another afghanistan

zingii
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby zingii » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:08 am

^^^
ps Murax yuu liqi kara?
intuu ka cirid weenyahay oo dhan.

djibsomali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby djibsomali » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:34 am

ALTHOUGH IT CLEARLY SAYS THOSE WHO LIVED!
i am not one of those however
Fact or Fiction:

1. Women aren't allowed to drive (FACT)
2. No women on TV (Fiction)
3. If you are seen without hijaab/niqaab random men in the street can beat you up (Fiction)
4. Women can't enter the country without muxrum (Fiction)
5. Women can't travel within or outside the country without a muxrum (Fiction)
6. Domestic abuse is accepted (Fiction)
7. Women are not allowed to practise certain professions (FACT)
8. Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni (FACT)

These are the things you will read about if you research Saudi Arabia marka fact or fiction? Also do women work in that country? Can a woman who works in the West relocate to Saudi to work?

ps. In light of number 1 what's the public transport like? Is it okay to take the bus or do you need a muxrum for that as well?

Nabeela
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Nabeela » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:43 am

1. Women aren't allowed to drive....FACT

2. No women on TV..FALSE, we used to watch soaps on tv and it was full of women with no hijaab

3. If you are seen without hijaab/niqaab random men in the street can beat you up..FALSE..you don't have to wear a niqaab, but you have to wear a hijaab, cabaaya and a head scarf, it's a must

4. Women can't enter the country without muxrum..FACT

5. Women can't travel within or outside the country without a muxrum.Within no problem, but outside the country they will ask where is your muxrum, it really depends.

6. Domestic abuse is accepted..This one is kind of tricky, because most of the domestic that takes place is behind doors, the authorities don't know about it,

7. Women are not allowed to practise certain professions...You can't work Men dominated area, so it's kind of true

8. Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni...FALSE.

Yes women can work in that country, they work as Dr's, nurses, teachers etc.

To be honest with you, I can't even recall if there was a bus, I never use it, the way Saudis work waa if the female want to go some where, the male family members will drive them and so on.

Executive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Executive » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 am

lol @ No women on TV and Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni :lol: :lol:

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 am

Nabeela how come many Somali students with over 90 % pass rates can't get into any UNI, is it because of the fees? I'm trying to understand this issue because its what keeps coming up when you talk to people.
Regarding the T.V, on the Saudi Arabian ENGLISH Channel they have female presenters who do not wear niqab or abaya most wear the latest fashions , hair is not completely covered , and who mix with male presenters. I don't know much about the Arabic one, but I know its more conservative than the English one also I believe they don't have female presenters or broadcasters, maybe Nabeela can shed more light on this.

Nabeela
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Nabeela » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 am

ES, about the jamacada if you're eligible and qualified, no one will deny you acceptance, my cousin, applied for University in Medina from Bosaaso and he was accepted, he didn't have to pay anything, mostly it depends on your qualification.

The Arabic channel shows women with no hijaab also, most of the movies and the mosalsalaat the women aren't wearing hijaab, and it's mostly egyptian women. Laakin all women wear hijaab waliba the big one in those Islamic movies/mosalsalaat that is based on the saxaabas lives.

Presenters and broadcasters used to be all male, maybe that has changed now.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 am

I am not sure about Saudi Arabia but I personally know many Somali guys and girls from UAE that lived there all their lives, finished high school there and weren't allowed to go to uni in the Emirates. (That's back 2000 - 2002; don't know if it's still the same or not).

A lot of them were in Baghdad to do uni when I was there before this last war. No wonder why many Somalis can't stand Arabs!

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks for the insight. :up:

What happens if you are travelling without a muxrum? Do you feel unsafe generally or do you get arrested?

About the uni thing, Switzerland doesn't allow non Swiss people to study things like Medicine so I wouldn't have been surprised.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.