Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who lived/live in Saudi Arabia - Fact or Fiction

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Those who lived/live in Saudi Arabia - Fact or Fiction

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 am

Nabeela was your cousin's degree anything to do with Islamic Studies because I know they don't deny access or scholarships to those wanting to further their Islamic education.

djibsomali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby djibsomali » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:08 am

if you want to study salafism then they will let you into those school that run salafism curriculium

however normal university to study: Maths, medical, accounting, computer science is a no for somalis

*Nobleman*
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby *Nobleman* » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:32 am

Fact or Fiction:

1. Women aren't allowed to drive- Fact, few still do though ( less accidents :lol: )
2. No women on TV- bullshid
3. If you are seen without hijaab/niqaab random men in the street can beat you up- bullshid
4. Women can't enter the country without muxrum- nah plenty of nurses, teachers etc work there alone
5. Women can't travel within or outside the country without a muxrum- Fiction
6. Domestic abuse is accepted- come on now, you might as well get a job writing for the daily mail :lol:
7. Women are not allowed to practise certain professions- depends, a female cannot be an imam for example.
8. Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni- money talks, you got the money you can study.

See above

*Nobleman*
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby *Nobleman* » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:38 am

Horta why is it every saudi or niqab topic you have the same characters spewing the same rubbish. I guarantee if I make a topic about saudi women wearing niqabs the first 2 replies will be ES and dibjirsomali :down: . Some next level anti arab cuqdad. Focus your energy on improving somalia and discriminate all you want :lol:

OliveOil
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: I walk this empty street on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Postby OliveOil » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:44 am

My closest friend's older cousin who moved from T-dot is a high school teacher in Saudia Arabia...she has been teaching for the past couple of years now. IDK if there r men in her classes though :?

But I do know one thing; that I strongly dislike Saudia Arabia....my mom's older sister lived there and recently moved to Syria Alhamdulilah :clap:

Armstrong
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Armstrong » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:45 am

BlackValvet & Enlightened I have an idea for you two.

I own a company that makes lollipop and this is not a joke. We are looking for a good looking somali woman who can advertise our lollipop. We will put you on every billboard in every street in London with you smiling and a lollipop in your precious mouth. There will also be some T.V. and newspaper ads of you. You will earn lots of money I can make you a celebrity overnight f*ck al-Saudia we say women power what do you say?

ciyaal_warta
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ciyaal_warta » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:55 am

lemmi mark them one by one..since i know saudi arabia and i lived with saudis and we often debate about these things :mrgreen:
Fact or Fiction:

1. Women aren't allowed to drive (FACT)
2. No women on TV (Fiction coz they are hijabi women that was giving interview the other day )
3. If you are seen without hijaab/niqaab random men in the street can beat you up (Fiction coz there is a police called HAY'AH that will arrest u )
4. Women can't enter the country without muxrum (FACT and its islamic rule )
5. Women can't travel within or outside the country without a muxrum (FACT)
6. Domestic abuse is accepted (Fiction )
7. Women are not allowed to practise certain professions (FACT)
8. Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni (Fiction coz i have a somali friend whos studyin University King Abdulaziiz)

Mondey
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: We'll resist and fight again, Strangers, thats's how freemen feel in a world of slaves.

Postby Mondey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Fact or Fiction:

1. Women aren't allowed to drive- True
2. No women on TV- False
3. If you are seen without hijaab/niqaab random men in the street can beat you up- True in some parts of the country like northern and southern regions women cannot go without niqaab, in other parts only hijab is compulsory.. only Western women (Europe/US ) can go out with neither niqab/hijab and can even drive and no one can say shidh to them.
4. Women can't enter the country without muxrum- False now days saudi women can even travel abroad with no muhram.
5. Women can't travel within or outside the country without a muxrum- same as above
6. Domestic abuse is accepted- Very True
7. Women are not allowed to practise certain professions- True she can only practice very limited professions.
8. Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni- True you can study from 1st grade to 12th grade for free but no college. only about 0.01 % of all foreign kids can go to uni.

Cumar-Labasuul
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cumar-Labasuul » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Horta I don't know why some somalis have a disturbing hatred for Saudi Arabia (and arabs in general), what have they ever done to you guys.

As for this list, first things first yes woman are not allowed to drive and I'm yet to see one; woman are on tv and without hijab sometimes also; woman can be without niqab but not hijab; muslim woman cannot enter the country without a maxram but I have seen non muslim who are; woman can travel within the country without maxram but obviously it is dangerous at night - also how else do somali woman who live there go to buy food and necessities :lol: ; who knows what goes on within somebody's house same as in somalia and the west; woman can work i.e. nurse a man cannot deliver a baby so a woman does it; this one is the biggest lie I have seen plenty of somali guys who studied in uni there.

When I went hajj few years ago, in Makkah I saw three somali boys from back home were given a free scholarship to study islamic studies in Makkah university (what a priviledge) free of charge all expenses paid for i.e. ticket, accomodation and spending money plus being taught in the blessed city - what more can you want. Also, in Madinah I saw a similar thing I saw a somali man who studies in Madinah university also scholarship. Basically saudi offers free scholarships to muslim males in countries which are not situated in the Gulf i.e. third world countries like somalia or western countries like UK. Masha'allah may allah protect saudi arabia :up:

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:07 pm

In the English channel there are female presenters but most, if not all are Non Saudi Muslims from the expatriate Indian/Pakistani/Arab communities. The Arabic one never allowed female presenters but I'm not sure if that has changed.

Loool@ Imam as an example of profession denied to Saudi women. They cannot do many jobs because they can't work alongside men. Now let's take a better example, i.e Saudi women lawyers can't argue cases in the courtroom. They are planning to change that apparently, but I'm guessing they won't be in the same room as men. Also if they set up a business, they have to get signature from their Mahrems. They can only work in their businesses if its serving women only, but if its caters for the general public they'll have to hire someone else to run it for them.

Sports is not allowed in girls schools whether primary or secondary.

-----

"Saudiarabia is a deeply reactionary country.  Women are banned from voting and must get 'written permission from a male relative – even an underage son – to work, travel, seek treatment or study'.--
Source : http://www.salmayaqoob.com/2011/06/soli ... ivers.html

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Cumar no one denied that Saudi Arabia gives scholarships to poor Somalis to study ISLAMIC STUDIES!

ciyaal_warta
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ciyaal_warta » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Cumar no one denied that Saudi Arabia gives scholarships to poor Somalis to study ISLAMIC STUDIES!

i know some ciyaal casiir that are doing engineering and other majors..am not saying they its all open but if u know ur way in u can get anything :lol:

Cumar-Labasuul
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cumar-Labasuul » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:28 pm

esis, are you against the islamic ruling regarding mahram

DisplacedDiraac
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Nobody said it'd be easy.. they just promised it'd be worth it...

Postby DisplacedDiraac » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:39 pm

1. Women aren't allowed to drive... I was watching a show were some woman was claiming to be the first female driver.. :|
2. No women on TV... Ive watched alot of Saudi Tv and I've seen plenty of women on their shows.. Even female presenters without hijaab!
3. If you are seen without hijaab/niqaab random men in the street can beat you up... Lol.. Comeon now.. :|
4. Women can't enter the country without muxrum... That's BS.. My cousin *who moved from the UK* works there and she lives with a group of girls with no Mahram!
5. Women can't travel within or outside the country without a muxrum... Again my cousin travels within and outside the country and she doesn't have a Mahram
6. Domestic abuse is accepted... Again.. Comeon you cant be serious!
7. Women are not allowed to practise certain professions... Same in alot of countries
8. Children of people from other countries are not allowed to study in Uni... Again I have aloads of relatives who study there.. :|

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:42 pm

I am not sure about Saudi Arabia but I personally know many Somali guys and girls from UAE that lived there all their lives, finished high school there and weren't allowed to go to uni in the Emirates. (That's back 2000 - 2002; don't know if it's still the same or not).

A lot of them were in Baghdad to do uni when I was there before this last war. No wonder why many Somalis can't stand Arabs!
If the person has conmnection in those top guys in the government, they can get enrol into the university; however, per official policy, no expatriates are allowed to study in UAE. I have cousins who are going to universities in Sudan because of that rule. The lack of a strong Somali government that can make arrangements with the Gulf countries is also part of the problem.

Can you Somalis imagine universities are free for anyone from any of the Arab league countries in Syria and these rich Gulf Arab countries are now allowing us? :shock: :down:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.