Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The future potential export industries of Somalia

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
anonymousfaarax
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: The future potential export industries of Somalia

Postby anonymousfaarax » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:14 pm

The Somali livestock industry

The current model of the Somali livestock industry is simple and this needs to change. In the current model, greater revenues are to be achieved by selling a greater number of livestock and this is not sustainable, reliable or desirable. The drive to increase exports of live animals year upon year is creating unneccesary stress on our fragile ecosystem. We could quite easily be making the same amount of export revenue from selling perhaps half of the total livestock we sell now by simply adding value . This would relieve a lot of the pressures on our ecosystem and perhaps stop overgrazing, soil degredation and eventual desertification. Lets be honest, it is not about feeding as many arab mouths as possible to our detriment but about making money. Another strategy in which we could double or triple the revenue from this sector by maintaining the number of livestock sales but by adding value and integrating the supply.

What we need is a more sophisticated model of growth for this industry and to be precise what we need is value addition so that we can achieve greater profit (margins). We also need to vertically integrate the supply chain so that we can keep all the jobs created by the process of not only rearing, slaughtering and processing meat but also spin-off industries and related products and by-products and so as to cut out the middle man (ME) whenever possible. Currently Somali livestock is slaughtered and processed in the middle east and they make money and benefit from jobs related to by-products such as hides and skins, leather etc. One neccesary component for success will be access to market and proper branding and marketing. So far Burco is at the forefront of modernising the Somali Livestock Industry.

This strategy could be applied to many of the commodities and industries Somalis trade in e.g. Frankincense and Mirr. If this trategy was followed we could easily create many new jobs, tax revenue and better living standards for our people.

The major players in the industry (domestic and foreign) will try to resist any change to the model of which they have become rich as they will want to maintain their stranglehold on the market and this needs to be factored into any strategy to develop this sector.

If only I had the money :mrgreen:

FarhanYare
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby FarhanYare » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:31 pm

^^ the best writter i've seen so far on somalinet

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Assisting the Mujahideen in Galgala to free their region

Postby Coeus » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:45 pm

^^ the best writter i've seen so far on somalinet
A little over estimation dont you think?

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Soon i will also write about the possibility of Somali economical hegemony through east & Southeast of Africa :up: :D

accident
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby accident » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Soon i will also write about the possibility of Somali economical hegemony through east & Southeast of Africa :up: :D
:lol: :lol:

Good Luck

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Good Luck
With good governance & Political stability in Somalia, we can be spared from intense competition in the dark continent and become a Major power, by simply targeting African consumers. This ofcourse will not result in neglecting middle eastern & European consumers. :up:

accident
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby accident » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Good Luck
With good governance & Political stability in Somalia, we can be spared from intense competition in the dark continent and become a Major power, by simply targeting African consumers. This ofcourse will not result in neglecting middle eastern & European consumers. :up:
This is not even a case of "running before you can walk". This is "flying before you can crawl". The chances of Somalia fulfilling even one of the criteria you mentioned is slim to non. Let alone, Somalia fulfilling all of them.

I like how you see light at the end of the tunnel. :lol: It's admirable.

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:54 pm

This is not even a case of "running before you can walk". This is "flying before you can crawl". The chances of Somalia fulfilling even one of the criteria you mentioned is slim to non. Let alone, Somalia fulfilling all of them.

Political instability & terrorism in Somalia will probably end by the middle of Next year (and thats a pessimistic estimate).

Then , when the transition ends. A elected goverment will emerge and i do not believe these ideas are far fetched. It is Somalia's destiny to rule the Horn Economicly,militarily & Politicly. We have the most Allies,connections and strategic significance in the Eastern part of Africa (if not all).

As i said, these are not far fetched ideas. :up:

accident
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby accident » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Political instability & terrorism in Somalia will probably end by the middle of Next year (and thats a pessimistic estimate).

Then , when the transition ends. A elected goverment will emerge and i do not believe these ideas are far fetched. It is Somalia's destiny to rule the Horn Economicly,militarily & Politicly. We have the most Allies,connections and strategic significance in the Eastern part of Africa (if not all).

As i said, these are not far fetched ideas. :up:
I beg to differ, nonetheless, I wish the best for Somalia. :som:

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

I will soon resume more discussion regarding this Subject. Feel free to contribute
(only serious people). :up:

Faant
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Faant » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:52 pm

I hope all those ideas will be used to make our country prosperous amen and may Allah bless you for creating this great thread amen.

:som: :up: 8-) :clap:

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:11 pm

I hope all those ideas will be used to make our country prosperous amen and may Allah bless you for creating this great thread amen.

:som: :up: 8-) :clap:
:rose: :up: :som:

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:50 pm

International Somali refinery companies

Hass-Petroleum- Refinery Industry

Founded in 1997 by two brothers, the late Abdirizak Ali Hassan and Abdinasir Ali Hassan, the HASS Petroleum Group is a regional Oil Marketing Company (OMC) with significant presence in East Africa and the Great Lakes region. From its humble beginnings as a fuel re-seller, the company is now one of the most renowned oil marketers, with fully fledged operating business units in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Southern Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

With its corporate headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, the company’s core business is the importation, distribution and marketing of petroleum products in countries where we have registered business units. The company also has invested significantly in retail outlets - petrol stations - and sizable oil storage terminals. The company's recently commissioned oil terminal in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania has an installed capacity of 34 million liters, and serves our southern corridor markets of Tanzania, and the neighboring landlocked countries of D.R.C. - Katanga Province, Rwanda, Burundi and Zambia. The northern corridor markets - Kenya, Uganda, Southern Sudan, and D.R.C. (North-East provinces) - are served by imports via Kenya's Mombasa port.

Interview with one of the Owners:

[youtube]XBLdH1vQt1k&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Somali companies based outside Somalia can in the near future make deals with the goverment so that they can atleast be part goverment owned, and thus through goverment finance the companies can expand and grow even more.

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:55 pm

Biggest Somali owned Safari operator in East Africa

Zainab Ansell, a Somali Tanzanian businesswoman, sheer determination to succeed made Zainab Ansell to be the woman she is today, a successful businesswoman and she has an award to prove that. Earlier this year she received an award for Business Entrepreneur of the year for running a successful tour operating company.

Today, in terms of guest numbers, ZARA tours is Tanzania's No.1 Kilimanjaro outfitter and one of Tanzania's biggest safari operators. ZARA tours has also entered the field of hospitality, we currently operate two hotels and three tented camps.

These type of companies can invest in Somalia and be apart of the rebuilding of the tourism Industy. The company is owned by a Somali women, and today it is a very succesful business.

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:06 pm

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.