Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somali Restaurant reviews for Toronto

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
miskeen86
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Somali Restaurant reviews for Toronto

Postby miskeen86 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:11 pm

hi,

We are visiting from Montreal and would like to know which are the coolest somali restaurants in Toronto. I have heard of Hamdi. So please tell which somali restaurant you recommend and why - food, service, price, environment, etc...

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Somali Restaurant reviews for Toronto

Postby Alphanumeric » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Food, price, atmosphere, and service are generally the same - shitty. I would say don't bother, but I think some here might lash out. In truth, Hamdi's is probably the best, but I've boycotted that place for years now. Waiting an hour and a half for a plate of rice and chicken ain't worth it. Hamdi's has 3 locations; Rexdale, Lawrence East, and downtown. East end location is the worst, so really don't bother with it. There's also Etob at Islington and Albion (or around there, I forget). The food is 'meh' (they get overhyped for their bbq ribs) and the pricing is aright, but i think they should never have passed a health inspection. There's also Sinai at Lawrence East and Pharmacy. The worst that I've been to so far in terms of atmosphere, but I like their fried chicken. Salaama Hut at Kipling and Bethridge has some great sandwiches, that is if you want to fight 12 old dudes sharing one cup of shah for a chair. Al-Aruba also around Islington and Albion is ok. There are some others, but those are where I've been.

Naboleon
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Naboleon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Food, price, atmosphere, and service are generally the same - shitty. I would say don't bother, but I think some here might lash out. In truth, Hamdi's is probably the best, but I've boycotted that place for years now. Waiting an hour and a half for a plate of rice and chicken ain't worth it. Hamdi's has 3 locations; Rexdale, Lawrence East, and downtown. East end location is the worst, so really don't bother with it. There's also Etob at Islington and Albion (or around there, I forget). The food is 'meh' (they get overhyped for their bbq ribs) and the pricing is aright, but i think they should never have passed a health inspection. There's also Sinai at Lawrence East and Pharmacy. The worst that I've been to so far in terms of atmosphere, but I like their fried chicken. Salaama Hut at Kipling and Bethridge has some great sandwiches, that is if you want to fight 12 old dudes sharing one cup of shah for a chair. Al-Aruba also around Islington and Albion is ok. There are some others, but those are where I've been.
:lol:

siren
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby siren » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 pm

I'd recommend Hamdi, the downtown location is the best. Here are some reviews http://www.restaurantica.com/on/toronto ... /23018250/

Skippa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Skippa » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 pm

there used to be a djiboutian restaurant on scarlett road in the west end but it went out of business. It'd take about an hour to get the food but it was well worth the wait. The only other place I'd suggest is bilal by Rexdale and Martin Grove, across from Xamarweyne.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:46 pm

siren
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby siren » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 pm

there used to be a djiboutian restaurant on scarlett road in the west
end but it went out of business. It'd take about an hour to get the food but it was well worth the wait. The only other place I'd suggest is bilal by Rexdale and Martin Grove, across from Xamarweyne.
That one closed long ago, they had the best futa moos and fried fish.

Skippa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Skippa » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:20 pm

They sure did Siren, seen as it was the only place (as far as I know ) that had it :lol: ...If you know of any other shop in the city where a man can get a nice mukhbaza, let a brother know :up:

Naboleon
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Naboleon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:21 pm

there used to be a djiboutian restaurant on scarlett road in the west
end but it went out of business. It'd take about an hour to get the food but it was well worth the wait. The only other place I'd suggest is bilal by Rexdale and Martin Grove, across from Xamarweyne.
acudibillah whats that?

Skippa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Skippa » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 pm

fata muus or mukhbaasad...it's made with sabaayad and muus la'isku futeeyey with a piece of grilled fish and a bit of xulbad on the side. There's nothing like it. :up: :up:

IRONm@N
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby IRONm@N » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 pm

there used to be a djiboutian restaurant on scarlett road in the west end but it went out of business. It'd take about an hour to get the food but it was well worth the wait. The only other place I'd suggest is bilal by Rexdale and Martin Grove, across from Xamarweyne.
acudibillah whats that?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that is some gay ass stuff.

siren
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby siren » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 pm

They sure did Siren, seen as it was the only place (as far as I know ) that had it :lol: ...If you know of any other shop in the city where a man can get a nice mukhbaza, let a brother know :up:
Sadly the only other two restaurant that I know that served it was in Ottawa and Columbus. :(

Skippa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Skippa » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 pm

Sadly :(
indeed

globetrotter2
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby globetrotter2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:21 am

I don't know about Toronto but so called somali restaurants in Europe, the Gulf and in some cities in the USA are a laughing stock! There is no hygiene; At my workplace, I used to boast about somali restaurants and how somalis have become successful entrepreneurs.

Last year, four of my co-workers and I went on a business trip . One co-worker said, let us try a somali restaurant and we went; all we saw were a few sambusas with flies on (I wonder why there is a symbiotic relationship between flies and somalis :cry: ); a few men shouting around and many papers on the ground.

When the food finally came it was just too much! A somali plate meant for 1 person could feed 14 people

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.