Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Charcoal, Its Export, and Forest Clearing in Somalia

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Charcoal, Its Export, and Forest Clearing in Somalia

Postby udun » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:57 pm

As many of you know, many trees were cut in Somalia for charcoal exports. I am interested in where is the final destination that the charcoal is shipped to? Is it only Dubai? Or does it go beyond?

If you are aware of any groups funding this devastating activities, pleaase share it.

How can the link be made between tree-cutting that has taken place in Somalia and the lesser precipitation of rain that Somalia has faced within the last 20 years? I need any one who has conducted a research on this area share his or her taughts.

There were many incidents where the communal violence took place as a result of the devastating tree cutting that took place in Somalia. If any one has any list of events that took place in each Somali region, please share it.

If you are also aware of Somali community based organizations whose sole focus is to show awareness to the local community, prevent communal violence based on forest burning, don't mind sharing it, please post it here or pm me.

8-)

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Ruux bukaanka ku nacay, adoo bahan katagay....Ala barasho, barasho wacanaa!

Re: Charcoal, Its Export, and Forest Clearing in Somalia

Postby greenday » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:05 pm

There was thing guy on telly while back talking about this issue and there was association he was part of but i cant remember his name.

http://somaliecologicalsociety.org/publ ... alufka.php

Most of it ends up in Somali kitchens since we have no other ways of cooking.

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Sister Greenday, I am aware of that project and it has succeeded initially. However, the businessmen who export the chracoal outside of Somalia have come up and they are bribing some of the committees. They are providing huge financial benefits to bribe people and we should start the fight again. It is not only the North Eastern part of the country, but it is actually taking place in the Southern part of the country. Tree burning is in full speed in all areas under Al-Shabaab.

While Somalis in Somalia are working at the local level, what we also need is put the pressure at the international level. That is why I was questioning the final destination and who is behind these devastating effects on Somalia's forest. Keep in mind trees who have died naturally are good enough for Somalia's kitchens. The one is question is huge cutting of living trees and their charcoal send to overseas countries.

I am thinking of one way of attacking it is approaching the UAE government and requesting their help.

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Ruux bukaanka ku nacay, adoo bahan katagay....Ala barasho, barasho wacanaa!

Postby greenday » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:45 pm

The best place to ask questions will be the guys Somali Ecological Society. One thing is for sure ima dhihi jirin Somali trees, i mean big trees qabto :?

The only way to get out of situations like this education and wealth, its very important that Somali businessmen/women look into gas cookers because then the government when inshallah its strong enough can bring about a ban or something but this will not be possible while the people back home depend on it.

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Greenday, the bulk of the charcoal trade is not for local consumption. It is exported to overseas country, namely UAE, and in order to generate massive profits from this trade, Somalia's forest is on the brink of extinction. Yes, education and awareness can help, but due to the absence of effective Somali State, that itself has its own limits and won't stop it due to the massive profits generated from the charcoal export.

arabmtu
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby arabmtu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:46 pm

udun, didn't al-Shabaab take measures banning cutting trees for charcoal export?

Faant
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Faant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:56 pm

udun, didn't al-Shabaab take measures banning cutting trees for charcoal export?
It was the Islamic Courts who did that in 2006, one of Al-Shabab's largest financial sources is infact charcoal export together with prostitution.

tightrope
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby tightrope » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:58 pm

It was the Islamic Courts who did that in 2006, one of Al-Shabab's largest financial sources is infact charcoal export together with prostitution.
ARE YOU SERIOUS!? :shock:

NoAngst
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby NoAngst » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:04 pm

[quote="arabmtu"]udun, didn't al-Shabaab take measures banning cutting trees for charcoal export?[/quote]

When? Where?

We know Charcoal export is the primary source of funds for Jubbooyinka wing of Alshabaab.

Faant
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Faant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:07 pm

ARE YOU SERIOUS!? :shock:
Yes I am, I recently met alot of crying refugees from Al-Shabaab controlled areas, and they told me that girls in Southern somalia was forced by shabab to have sex with the Amisom troops, shabab earned money by selling Somali women into the sex industry. Armed Shabab troops also rapes the women they think is attractive.

tightrope
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby tightrope » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:11 pm

SUBHANALLAH :(
AL-SHAYDAN ARE SICK BASTARDS. NOTHING ISLAMIC ABOUT THEM.
WHERE DID YOU MEET THESE REFUGEES?

arabmtu
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby arabmtu » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:17 pm

We know Charcoal export is the primary source of funds for Jubbooyinka wing of Alshabaab.
I thought their primary source of funds are tax collection from Kismaayo port and individual wealthy Islamists from across the Red Sea. I don't think charcoal is a very profitable business that can fund al-Shabaab's budget.
Last edited by arabmtu on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faant
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Faant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:19 pm

SUBHANALLAH :(
AL-SHAYDAN ARE SICK BASTARDS. NOTHING ISLAMIC ABOUT THEM.
WHERE DID YOU MEET THESE REFUGEES?
They are nothing but criminal pigs who are hiding behind religion, I meet them in Saudi Arabia :(

NoAngst
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby NoAngst » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:23 pm

[quote="arabmtu"][quote="NoAngst"]We know Charcoal export is the primary source of funds for Jubbooyinka wing of Alshabaab.[/quote]I thought their primary source of funds are tax collection from Kismaayo port and individual wealthy Islamists from across the Red Sea. I don't think charcoal is a very profitable business that can fund al-Shabaab's budget.[/quote]

Charcoal and imported consumer goods especially sugar and electronics is the most profitable business in Jubooyinka especially in the last 6-8 years. The imported goods are smuggled across the border into Kenya where they're sold in much of the NFD and even beyond. Other than that, what else is there to export/import at Kismaayo seaport?

Lamagoodle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lamagoodle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Faant,
As much as I hate the Al-sheydhan, I think the accusation that they are involved in prostitution is far fetched.

As regards charcoal, I think the best strategy is to find alternative domestic source of fuel/energy. I think alot of the charcoal is consumed locally.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.