Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VIDEO; Turkey doing tangible and viable work in Somalia.

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: VIDEO; Turkey doing tangible and viable work in Somalia.

Postby Alphanumeric » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:58 pm

what are the locked in contracts?
They have a monopoly on construction in Xamar and they were just given the greenlight to dominate the aviation industry (I don't know how some idiots actually celebrated this). The Turks are pulling a WFP, nothing more---instead of lending money and tools (or 'charity' as you put it) to local companies, they stepped in and took their lunch.

Don't be blind to this, it's very clear and obvious.
Yup.

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Assisting the Mujahideen in Galgala to free their region

Postby Coeus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm

I welcome Turkish development efforts. Mogadishu shall shine once again.

I hope they teach somalis the principle of preserving statehood, and learning the revered Kemalist ideology :up: :som:

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for reminding me Coeus. I forgot that the Turks took in a bunch of Somali religious scholars (about 600+) to learn Kemalist Islam.

While people are screaming colonialism at the West---which the Somali PM as well as Puntland leadership presented as business partners and not philanthropists---it's the ugly Turks actually colonizing the country.

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for reminding me Coeus. I forgot that the Turks took in a bunch of Somali religious scholars (about 600+) to learn Kemalist Islam.

While people are screaming colonialism at the West---which the Somali PM as well as Puntland leadership presented as business partners and not philanthropists---it's the ugly Turks actually colonizing the country.
Turks are not colonizing anyone. Waqooyi used to be a former Ottoman vessel state. They even assisted Ahmed Gurey. Today turkey is a economicly strong country with a secular constitution, that does not controll or prevent any type of religion from flourishing.

In their judgement they believe salafism and Wahhabism does not hold anything postive for Somali society, and it is true.

Kemal attaturk understood that :up:

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:32 pm

They have a monopoly on construction in Xamar and they were just given the greenlight to dominate the aviation industry (I don't know how some idiots actually celebrated this). The Turks are pulling a WFP, nothing more---instead of lending money and tools (or 'charity' as you put it) to local companies, they stepped in and took their lunch.

Beggars can't be choosers. You act like Somalia is in a position to have a luxury to worry about shit like that. And lol comparing the benefit and cold calculated economic, political, and military motivation for however Turkey treats Greece to their altruism in Somalia.

There are times I take your reservations seriously, me thinks this one is not worth pennies. Can't imagine how many topics of thanks you would dedicate to Turkey if the object of their interaction was Garowe.

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:43 pm

I see your obsession with Garowe is as strong as ever.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 pm

That's called poisoning the well. :|

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Beggars can't be choosers. You act like Somalia is in a position to have a luxury to worry about shit like that. And lol comparing the benefit and cold calculated economic, political, and military motivation for however Turkey treats Greece to their altruism in Somalia.

There are times I take your reservations seriously, me thinks this one is not worth pennies. Can't imagine how many topics of thanks you would dedicate to Turkey if the object of their interaction was Garowe.
You just said what many people where thinking. :up:

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Ma fiicno in la is xasdo not that I am saying Monk is being a xaasid.. Development and support to Somalia's people should never be considered by any one particular party to be a zero sum gain. Would I like the Turks to spread our their aid and touch other parts of the country? Yes, but that doesn't mean at the expense of what they are doing in Mogadishu and Banadir. That's how all Somalis should look at stuff like this.

shiniile9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby shiniile9 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm

A friend in need is a friend indeed. Keep up doing the good work. :som: :up:

blackstars25
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby blackstars25 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Any development by Turkey is welcome, it's a win-win situation.

Jaidi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jaidi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Monk can say anything and people will cosign it cause he's a good writer :lol:

Aviation industry? :lol: :lol: What the fock are you talking about? Do you seriously think this is by any sum a lucrative venture for Turkey? No major airlines are clamoring to fly into Mogadishu. Nor will it be a popular flight, especially from Istanbul. Seems quite clearly to be a symbolic proposition to gain more goodwill.You can not seriously make a coherent argument that there are net economic benefits in this for Turkey. That's not to say that this is entirely charity, of course there are political motivations.

Turkey's foreign policy is well constructed around prestige and keeping a positive image for its role as a regional power. Somalia seems like a perfect case with low cost, in which they can gain goodwill and standing in their own region and abroad. They could perhaps even use this to blunt criticism for their policy in other areas( I.E. their ongoing conflict with Kurds) . As for Somalis themselves they have nothing to lose. Stop acting like they have great leverage to able to refuse the assistance and that they've sold themselves into some sort of colonial relationship by agreeing to their presence.

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Monk can say anything and people will cosign it cause he's a good writer :lol:

Aviation industry? :lol: :lol: What the fock are you talking about? Do you seriously think this is by any sum a lucrative venture for Turkey? No major airlines are clamoring to fly into Mogadishu. Nor will it be a popular flight, especially from Istanbul. Seems quite clearly to be a symbolic proposition to gain more goodwill.You can not seriously make a coherent argument that there are net economic benefits in this for Turkey. That's not to say that this is entirely charity, of course there are political motivations.

Turkey's foreign policy is well constructed around prestige and keeping a positive image for its role as a regional power. Somalia seems like a perfect case with low cost, in which they can gain goodwill and standing in their own region and abroad. They could perhaps even use this to blunt criticism for their policy in other areas( I.E. their ongoing conflict with Kurds) . As for Somalis themselves they have nothing to lose. Stop acting like they have great leverage to able to refuse the assistance and that they've sold themselves into some sort of colonial relationship by agreeing to their presence.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :up:

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 pm

You can not seriously make a coherent argument that there are net economic benefits in this for Turkey.
Your argument falls apart right there. You come here with zero logic it seems.

You are one of those Somalis who thinks the country is some empty village. This is a country the size of Texas with one of the world's longest coastlines and strategic geographic positions, and with a history of speculation in relation to its resources. You are clearly unaware of what the word contractor means, despite how clearly Iraq demonstrated the strength and lucrative opportunities in this sector.

The first mainstream aviation service to Somalia is a hugely lucrative title. Turkey is essentially placing itself as the main carrier of Somalia - a country that is on the rise in ways comparable to 1950s Saudi Arabia. You are either grossly unaware of what exactly has been developing recently, or you are talking for fun. Even a cleaning service will make money in these current circumstances. Even a hot dog kiosk will make millions in these circumstances. Again, I suggest you should do your research on the whole subject of services in relation to growing markets.

blackstars25
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby blackstars25 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 pm

You are basically sprouting some conspiracy theory Turkey is going out of its way to assist desperate and starving Somali's so they can take over Somalia's non-existent aviation industry, what a pathetic line of argument.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.