Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's Oldest Uni Graduate at 97 (2 World Record Holder)

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

World's Oldest Uni Graduate at 97 (2 World Record Holder)

Postby Twist » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:59 am

A true case that one is never too old to learn.

Graduated in 2006 at the age of 91 with a Bachelor of Laws degree & in this year with a Masters degree in clinical science, at the age of 97. Wow!

Friday, May 4, 2012

Oldest graduate: Dr Allan Stewart sets world record

SYDNEY, Australia -- Dr Allan Stewart, a 97-year-old retired Australian dentist, just received his masters degree in clinical science from Southern Cross University - setting the new world record for Oldest graduate, according to the World Records Academy: www.worldrecordsacademy.org/worlds oldest graduate Dr Allan Stewart.

The Guinness world record for the oldest graduate was set by Allan Stewart (Australia, b. 7 March 1915) who received a Bachelor of Laws degree aged 91 years 214 days, when he graduated from the University of New England, New South Wales, Australia.

Guinness World Records also recognized the world record for the oldest existing, and continually operating educational institution in the world, set by the University of Karueein, founded in 859 AD in Fez, Morocco.

This is his fourth degree after completing dentistry in 1936. He went back to school in his 80s to keep himself mentally active.

Dr Allan Stewart, born on March 7, 1915, is already the holder of the Guinness World Records title for being the oldest graduate after completing a law degree in 2006 at the age of 91.

Mr Stewart says much has changed over the years, not least of all, the technology.

"I realised I had to be reasonably literate with the computer," he said.

"I was more or less self-taught but with experience I was able to handle that and I found that was the only way to do a university degree at my age."

The graduate has also noticed a distinct difference in the apparel of the students.

"We had to wear very conservative clothing in those days," he said. "Up here university students are mostly in holiday gear, or at least smart-casual."

Mr Stewart lives independently and also acts as a carer for a friend. He says he thinks about each day and what he wants to achieve and says that gives him focus and purpose.

When Mr Stewart is not studying he is assisting in the local community technology centre, walking, gardening, fishing and, up until last year, was playing golf.

Mr Stewart, who was born in 1915, has six children, 12 grandchildren and six great-grandchilden. He worked as a dentist and earned his second degree in dental surgery.

'I think I can hang up my mortar board and academic robes after this one - although I said that after my last degree and then I got bored,' said Dr Stewart, from Port Stephens, north of Sydney, ahead of his graduation ceremony.

"There's a lot of surprise but I think the fact that I've done what I've done has been an encouragement to a lot of people, particularly older people and say baby boomers to do the same," he said.

Mr Stewart said people were never too old to study.

"It is never too late to expand your mind, make new friends and challenge yourself to achieve something worthwhile."
http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/soci ... 12861.html

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: World's Oldest Uni Graduate at 97 (2 World Record Holder

Postby Methylamine » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 am

I honestly think having an education is more fulfilling than being rich, and usually one leads to another (unless u get an Arts degree :lol:)

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:19 am

Interesting sounding degrees.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:34 am

LOL @ unless you get an Arts degree! Bariisow, what's wrong with an Arts degree? I thought it was all about passion & what one really enjoys to study, no? :)

And here is another one who graduated at the age of 90 with an MA in Intelligence history from the University of Buckingham.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ie-gladwin

These seniors are amazing & giving young dropouts some hope that it's never too late to go back to school & get your papers, no matter how old you're. Cool! :up:

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:38 am

If I have the time and security in my 80s, I'd like to go back and learn something useful. Or conduct my own research.

I'm starting over soon, inshaAllah. Unfortunately 60 years from now university/college education may have a couple more zeros at the end its tuition.
Last edited by Alphanumeric on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:39 am

LOL @ unless you get an Arts degree! Bariisow, what's wrong with an Arts degree? I thought it was all about passion & what one really enjoys to study, no? :)

And here is another one who graduated at the age of 90 with an MA in Intelligence history from the University of Buckingham.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ie-gladwin

These seniors are amazing & giving young dropouts some hope that it's never too late to go back to school & get your papers, no matter how old you're. Cool! :up:
An arts degree is alright if you're going to continue your studies in professional school or graduate studies. Actually, the same can be said for Science degrees as well. Undergrad is such a tease :lol:

You're right, these seniors are giving dropouts the idea that it's not end of the world if you dropout, but you're still gonna have to work for your degree :up:

TeAmo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: STOMP STOMP STOMP was the noise the fat little troll made.

Postby TeAmo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:54 am

What's the Point of getting a degree at that age :? You'll probably die before you get the chance to do some thing with it :?

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:10 am

Alpha, there's no doubt that it will have more zero's to its tuition but if there will be open universities back in the future then open source FTW! :up:

Bariis, indeed one has to work for their degree, even harder in a senior age.
What's the Point of getting a degree at that age :? You'll probably die before you get the chance to do some thing with it :?
The idea for higher education is not only for $$ for everyone. Forget about these seniors, there are too many young people who do higher education as a hobby or just for the sake of knowledge & not for a career.

Plus, the 97 yo graduate mentioned in the article as to why he did the course:
He went back to school in his 80s to keep himself mentally active.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Open Universities are a definite possibility and one I'd be willing to choose, for education sake. :up:

If I'm able to retire (inshaAllah), higher education will certainly be goal. By then, there will be many advances in research in all realms of knowledge, and I don't want to fall too far behind the pack. Education for education sake is great, if your goals have been met. However, I won't be willing to wait until retirement to continue educating myself. Culinary arts, math, sciences, history, social and cultural studies, etc, are all great hobbies to continue with.

maybe
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby maybe » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Inspirational. :up:

kambuli
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby kambuli » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:06 pm

This is an inspiration for oldies like ayeeyo Kambuli :up:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.