Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Ethiopian friend is obsessed with Somali culture

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

My Ethiopian friend is obsessed with Somali culture

Postby Adali » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:42 pm

before you come into the topic with a negative mindset, let me just point out he is a Muslim Amharic with a Somali grandmother, he is so obsessed with Somali culture and he always ask me something new when we hang out, he literately drained me of all Somali culture, I even had to research something about the culture myself to answer his question, he made me love and appreciate my own culture even more.

I have had white friends who showed curiosity, but not this kind of obsession, this guy owns Macawiis and Somali artifacts, he learns the language and can easily hold a short conversation as he knows many phrases and key words.

the shocking part is that he is Amharic Ethiopian, the people we are suppose to hate the most, I just can't bring myself to hate him, he is really religious and does not get into politics with me at all, and at first it was the elephant in the room when we first meet but now I have gotten to know him the politics is really the last thing on my mind. The thing is I show no interest for Ethiopian culture, Amharic to be specific, but I am happy to teach and share my knowledge of my culture with him.

We should Somalize the Muslim Ethiopians, their second language should be Somali, to be honest we are the single largest ethnic group in the horn with one single language, I don't understand why our language is not being adopted as the dominant language of the horn, I think in Djibouti the Afar learn Somali, but I am not sure, I like to see that happen in Ethiopia highlands too, our language could be used as a tool to spread Islam also.

Negritude
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: My Ethiopian friend is obsessed with Somali culture

Postby Negritude » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:43 pm

But Ethiopian culture is so much more interesting.

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Adali » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:48 pm

How so, Somali culture is the best I have come across, it is so rich and potent, if you know where to look for authentic material you can easily lose yourself in it, modern Somalis do not represent Somali culture, I don't for sure, but I am trying to get back to my roots and revive the Somali tradition.

ZubeirAwal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: No one feels safe from hypocrisy except the hypocrite.

Postby ZubeirAwal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Not good to hate the ethiopian muslims, they are great people who taken care of jaafar binu abi talib, uthman ibn affan. (ra) the prophet prayed for their land and their king they are a people of rahma.

Meyle
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Meyle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:31 pm

:wtf: Somali grandmother? Troll alert..

Tan kale, Dhulkeenii xadeeen, hadana ma dhaqankeeni iyo luqadeeni u soo dhigteen? :pac:

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Adali » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Not good to hate the ethiopian muslims, they are great people who taken care of jaafar binu abi talib, uthman ibn affan. (ra) the prophet prayed for their land and their king they are a people of rahma.
A thousand and four hundred years ago Somalis were themselves part of Ardul Xabash, so were Yemen, also the Amhara were not the kingdom that was in charge of the land during that time, it was the tigray, learn your history ha iska hadlinee.

Muslim ethiopians most of them were converted by into Islam by Somalis, unfortunately Somalis took much longer to progress from a Oral society into a written Society so much of this history is in Arab records and Amharic records.

today however our language is has a written script and History will be recorded, 100 years from today the betrayal of Isaaq will be remembered, joining up with Gaalo against their own Muslim Somali brothers.

MeyleSamaale, dhaqanka qofkii jecel wuu baran karaa, many Somali youth today don't care about their culture.

ZubeirAwal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ZubeirAwal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Somalis were under the kingdom of axum, until Somalis starting producing high class sheikhs and sultanates, like the kingdom of ifat and the adal empire and ahmad gurey's wars that was the end of axumite rule in the horn, nevertheless the ethiopian-somali political fued should not be taken at the normal ethiopian/eritirean generic populous.

Meyle
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Meyle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:54 pm

A thousand and four hundred years ago Somalis were themselves part of Ardul Xabash, so were Yemen, also the Amhara were not the kingdom that was in charge of the land during that time, it was the tigray, learn your history ha iska hadlinee.

Muslim ethiopians most of them were converted by into Islam by Somalis, unfortunately Somalis took much longer to progress from a Oral society into a written Society so much of this history is in Arab records and Amharic records.

today however our language is has a written script and History will be recorded, 100 years from today the betrayal of Isaaq will be remembered, joining up with Gaalo against their own Muslim Somali brothers.

MeyleSamaale, dhaqanka qofkii jecel wuu baran karaa, many Somali youth today don't care about their culture.
Adeer, you dont know shit about Somali history. Linguists and historians (aswell as Siyaad Barre's government in 1972) agreed upon the fact that there used to be an ancient script in Somalia but when it got lost, Arabic and later local scriptures like Osmaniya replaced it. However the oral traditions were most widespread among the majority of Somalis.

ZubeirAwal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ZubeirAwal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Meyle do you believe we had our own hieroglyphics? remember that Yemen right above the somali coast , they used to use the saebean script i believe.

Meyle
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Meyle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Somalis were under the kingdom of axum, until Somalis starting producing high class sheikhs and sultanates, like the kingdom of ifat and the adal empire and ahmad gurey's wars that was the end of axumite rule in the horn, nevertheless the ethiopian-somali political fued should not be taken at the normal ethiopian/eritirean generic populous.
Only north western Somalia around the city of Seylac was a part of Axum. Infact the city of Seylac became a Somali city officially around 17-18th century when Sharmaarke Cali Saalax kicked the Arabs out from the city, also enslaved some of them.

IRONm@N
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby IRONm@N » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 pm

I think we should stop hating Ethiopians. if you see Africans in the diaspora, Ethiopians are the closest thing to us. they live in the neighborhoods we live in America and Europe, we work at the same jobs, like cab-drivers, airports etc. we study together at universities and give exams and help each other with homework. we unite together in prisons and defend against other ppl. so I don't understand all these hate and disdain for them. I come to respect them.

ZubeirAwal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ZubeirAwal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Only north western Somalia around the city of Seylac was a part of Axum. Infact the city of Seylac became a Somali city officially around 17-18th century when Sharmaarke Cali Saalax kicked the Arabs out from the city, also enslaved some of them.
I know, the HY sultan, it was being ruled by a omani i believe, i think somalis were residents but the city comprised of probably ethiopians, somalis, yemenese, it was under the ottoman authority but likewise berbera was, where the ottomans appointed HA mullahs as the city sultans, i wonder why they didn't do the same with saylac, maybe it was always a arab city? :?

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Adali » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:11 pm

prior to Ifat there were sultanates and city states, Imam Abadir Muse the founder of Harar was Somali Sade Darood, he counts just a few names from Darood who himself was a Shiekh spreading Islam. Amir Ahmed guray and Amir Nuur Ibn Mujaahid came much later, at a time when Islam was already spread in the Horn, Adal empire existed just a mere 500 years ago and Islam was introduced to the Horn 1400 years ago, and Somalis were spreading the Diin 1000 years ago converting Oromo, Habashi, Tigray and what have you.

the reason why the early Somali sholars are confused with Arab is because they were Darood, Al-Jeberti, they were mixed Arab and local Somali/non-Somali, I don't know of any Isaaq scholars, but this is the case with Daroods.

As muslims Somali scholars would constantly travel back and forth to Arabia, this is true for Adal leaders, the Harari Imaams, even Daraawiish leader Sayid Abdille Hassan.

The fued between Somalis and Amhars and Tigray started when we accepted Islam and spreaded the Diin, that is when they fought wars with us, using Oromo against us, even in todays southern Ethiopia, Marehan Shiekhs were fighting holy war against Oromo christians factions who were subjects to the Amhar empire, the British wrote about this by the way, it is not something I am just making up, the reason why the British were interested in this was because Marehan was an enemy of British East Africa.

Meyle
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Meyle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Meyle do you believe we had our own hieroglyphics? remember that Yemen right above the somali coast , they used to use the saebean script i believe.
We had our own script, I think the script later became different with local varieties before disappearing. Linguists are even questioning Meroitic language (spoken in the kingdom of Kush) to be Nilotic because speakers of Nilo-Saharan languages have never created a script while Afro-Asiatic speakers have thus changing the idea from Nilo-Saharan to Afro-Asiatic. We need archaeological excavations in Somalia but only when the country becomes stable. Archaeological teams in Somalia during the 70's actually found artifacts like gold, pottery, weapons from Ancient Egypt dating from the 5th dynasty to the 15th dynasty, also artifacts from Hellenistic Greece, Phoenicians and Persians. Where are thse artifacts now? Thats why we need an institution within the Government (wether Somaliland, Puntland or a central government based in Mogadishu) that controls and supervises future excavations

Meyle
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Meyle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 pm

I know, the HY sultan, it was being ruled by a omani i believe, i think somalis were residents but the city comprised of probably ethiopians, somalis, yemenese, it was under the ottoman authority but likewise berbera was, where the ottomans appointed HA mullahs as the city sultans, i wonder why they didn't do the same with saylac, maybe it was always a arab city? :?
The sheikh was the same sub clan as my reer abti. He was Muuse Carre. However Seylac is an ancient city that existed before the Arabs came but due to its strategic location, many foreign powers used it as their base.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.