Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Live from Kismayo. Tight security & peace

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
SANDIEGUY
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Live from Kismayo. Tight security & peace

Postby SANDIEGUY » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm

African Union troops and Somali government forces captured the key port city of Kismayo from militant group al-Shabab in October. Since then, the AU and government troops have established a heavy presence in and around the city, and have beefed up security with the aim of preventing further al-Shabab attacks.

Sixteen-year-old Ahmed Ali Olow is locked up in an abandoned, windowless charcoal storage facility that serves as a prison. The prison doesn’t have a door, only a small hole that is blocked by a rusty old freezer, which only the guards can move.

Olow is the latest person arrested by Somali government forces at the port of Kismayo on suspicion of being a member of al-Shabab.

The teenager said he was looking for a job when soldiers took him into custody.

”They have called me while I was looking at one of the ships offloading at the port," he said. "They asked where I was going. I told them I was checking out this ship around here. Actually this was the first time I saw the port."

Al-Shabab has used teenagers like Olow to carry out suicide attacks against government officials, security forces and civilians.

Olow said officials at the port were afraid he was carrying explosives. He said he is not part of al-Shabab and doesn’t know how to use any kind of weapon.

Since al-Shabab was driven out of Kismayo in October, the port itself has been managed by a temporary 12-member committee led by Ahmed Madobe, leader of the Somali militia group Ras Kamboni, which helped liberate Kismayo. The committee collects revenue from port operations, while talks continue to set up a permanent administration to govern the city in both Nairobi and Kismayo.

Kenyan Major Emanuel Okello said that port security officers leave nothing to chance when it comes to safety.

”... so what happens, we have two security checks at the two roadblocks where my men, together with Somali national army, physically search and frisk each and every individual coming to the port, and even check vehicles," said Okello. "People have to come out, open the vehicles' boot, we conduct thorough checks before allowing them into the port, so we make sure anyone who is coming to the port is not armed or has no explosives.”

Thirty-six-year-old Mohamed Muhumad Mohamed has worked at the port for five years. He said that when government forces arrived in the port, people were kept waiting for hours before the search began.

”Everything is about people getting to understand and know each other," he said. "When these guys arrived here, we will be outside the port for about two to three hours before any check-up was done and they were all doing that because of security. After some time they have made security check easy for us, now it takes some few minutes.”

Okello noted that port workers have been cooperative in pointing out new individuals visiting the port, coming to work or as truck drivers.

”There was a time we had al-Shabab operatives, three of them, infiltrate - and it's locals who pointed them out to us," he said. "They told us these people are al-Shabab, so they were arrested and interviewed and taken to police station in town. After thorough investigation I understand they were later released in a condition that their whereabouts must be known.”

For the time being, the teenager, Olow, will remain imprisoned in the abandoned charcoal store while he waits for officials to establish his identity.
Source: http://m.voanews.com/rss.jsp;jsessionid ... &show=full

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Live from Kismayo. Tight security & peace

Postby original dervish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:11 pm

The local J/Land officials must be vigilant at all times....no Al Shabaab and no HAG must be allowed through. :D :som: :up:

SANDIEGUY
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SANDIEGUY » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 pm

I love how the locals are working with the authorities exposing the misguided youth and anybody NEW as a community should do! :D

I also like how they deal with those captured, not rushing to kill the kids but instead holding them in an appropriate manner until their identities are established. Even releasing those that promise to change and provide their whereabouts at all times
---
No torture, beatings, abuse etc just to get info out of them :up:

:wow:

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby original dervish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:28 pm

The people are trying to build something that is sustainable in the long run.
Everybody must at least have the chance to participate and prosper.

Don`t forget the vast majority of Al Shabaab are just ordinary kids whose lives were destroyed during the 20 years of anarchy.
This policy of rehabilitation will encourage many of them to lay down their arms. :som: :up:

ModerateMuslim
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ModerateMuslim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 pm

I love how the locals are working with the authorities exposing the misguided youth and anybody NEW as a community should do! :D

I also like how they deal with those captured, not rushing to kill the kids but instead holding them in an appropriate manner until their identities are established. Even releasing those that promise to change and provide their whereabouts at all times
---
No torture, beatings, abuse etc just to get info out of them :up:
you're a scum and traitor of the worst kind.

it doesn't get any lower then applauding the unjust and cruel treatment of 16-year-old bystander by kenyan fufu prostitutes. scum and traitor indeed. the same holds true for original traitor.

SANDIEGUY
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SANDIEGUY » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:40 pm

you're a scum and traitor of the worst kind.

it doesn't get any lower then applauding the unjust and cruel treatment of 16-year-old bystander by kenyan fufu prostitutes. scum and traitor indeed. the same holds true for original traitor.
LOOL cruel and unjust? The kid just wondered into a closed off port and nobody knew who he was. They only locked him up until they can find out who he is. This is the proper protocol because kids are just blowing themselves up when they get close enough to the soldiers. Your just mad about the region trying to establish itself huh? :lol: :lol: :umad: :shaq:

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby original dervish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Nigga/ negress, traitor has no meaning in Somalia, Its all about self preservation. If that means handing yo ass to the devil himself, so be it.
The new boys in town will do whatever it takes to restore security. OK, some people will get trampled upon, but hey you can`t make an omelette without cracking eggs.

SANDIEGUY
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SANDIEGUY » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:05 pm

There aren't even any eggs being cracked tho!

@Somali-Star,
What do you have to say about this? and stay on topic, don't bring some other arguments :ufdup:

”There was a time we had al-Shabab operatives, three of them, infiltrate - and it's locals who pointed them out to us," he said. "They told us these people are al-Shabab, so they were arrested and interviewed and taken to police station in town. After thorough investigation I understand they were later released in a condition that their whereabouts must be known.”

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.