Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Coming to America Moment

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Sophisticate
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Coming to America Moment

Postby Sophisticate » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Coming to America Moment

This does not necessarily have to do with coming to America (it could be any country). It’s those awkward moments of confusion when you aren't familiar with the customs/practices in new place/land. It’s also called the freshy or fob experience.

Can you recall one you have experienced or one that someone you know has experienced?

I’ll start it off…
  • (1) Over 35 years ago my uncle went to America for schooling; at the time my aunt bought him deodorant, he rolled it onto his chin and headed off to work. He realized he made an error in application when one of his co-workers asked if it was snowing outside.

(2) My mother was also an international student back then and her Somali classmates used denture adhesive (glue) as toothpaste. They might have wanted to forget [fixodent]. They also thought cat food was gourmet tuna. She had to be the one to break it to them. :lol:

IbnTaymiyyah
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: Coming to America Moment

Postby IbnTaymiyyah » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Coming to America Moment

This does not necessarily have to do with coming to America (it could be any country). It’s those awkward moments of confusion when you aren't familiar with the customs/practices in new place/land. It’s also called the freshy or fob experience.

Can you recall one you have experienced or one that someone you know has experienced?

I’ll start it off…
  • (1) Over 35 years ago my uncle went to America for schooling; at the time my aunt bought him deodorant, he rolled it onto his chin and headed off to work. He realized he made an error in application when one of his co-workers asked if it was snowing outside.

(2) My mother was also an international student back then and her Somali classmates used denture adhesive (glue) as toothpaste. They might have wanted to forget [fixodent]. They also thought cat food was gourmet tuna. She had to be the one to break it to them. :lol:
you are born in the US?

Sophisticate
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sophisticate » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Yes I was born there.

IbnTaymiyyah
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby IbnTaymiyyah » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Yes I was born there.
have you experienced cultural shock?

Insomniac
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Insomniac » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Yes I was born there.
How can she experience cultural shock when she was born there?

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Yes I was born there.
Waad igala hor martay! I think the poor girl was shocked with the stupendously shocking question and left with shock to even reply. :lol:

IbnTaymiyyah
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby IbnTaymiyyah » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Yes I was born there.
she were raised somali at home and American in kindergarten.. thats cultural shock right there! same case with me :down:

Insomniac
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Insomniac » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm

:lol: :deadrose:

Skippa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Skippa » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:54 pm

tried to trap the pigeons that I saw roaming about carelessly to make pigeon soup. I was later informed that they were all diseased...There were many other such instances of badownimo :down:

TightPunani

Postby TightPunani » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 pm

I have always wanted to start a thread like this! When me, my younger sister and my mom first came to America, we didn't know what Cocoa Puffs were. So, when my dad bought some home, my mom threw them away because she thought it was dog food. LOL! I always tell this story to my American friends. They really get a kick out of it. :D

IbnTaymiyyah
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby IbnTaymiyyah » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 pm

:lol: :deadrose:
I asked a legitimate question? what is funny about that :down:

Sophisticate
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sophisticate » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:18 pm

@ Insomniac and IbnTaymiyyah
I was raised in Canada, just born in the US. It's not radical culture shock since I know what to expect. I just love the stories my relatives and their friends tell about their travels. Sometimes it’s as small as a communication error. I think it was almost 25 years ago when my father was speaking with a businessman named Sean. <<< You know Somalis pronounce it wrong. I died of laughter when he said may I speak with [Seen].

@ TP lmao.

@ Skippa lol. Captain Haddock I can imagine you’d harpoon them. Pigeon really isn't a part of Somali cuisine. It seems Moroccan lol.

LetsCookBreakfast
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby LetsCookBreakfast » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Indeed, reer baadiyonimo is very dangerous. :lol:

S-D-M
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Postby S-D-M » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:35 pm

Why do I feel all these stories are made up...........damn I thought I was only sick of "Made in Taiwan", now made in Somalia....... My Allah save us all :cry:

Lamagoodle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lamagoodle » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Sophisticate:

I was once stopped on a road by a cop. I stopped , came out of the car, and lit a cigarette. The state trooper raised his gun, aimed at me, and shouted “lay down” or I will shoot”. I smiled and did as I was commanded. He handcuffed me, but, soon realised that I was innocent.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.