Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Come in Computer geeks

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Come in Computer geeks

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:05 am

If I'm gonna splurge a grand on a laptop, I might as well save up for the new Macbook pro.

QaaliDumar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby QaaliDumar » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:12 am

Bought a vaio a week or two ago and everyone around me Macbook maad intaad wax yar ku dartid gadatid ayay dhaheen. Kollay meel aan ka noqdo malahan sida ii muuqatana wuu i anfaci :up:

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 am

If you're going with a Macbook pro you might want to wait for the Hazwell pros due in the next iteration. I specifically did not get the retina display as it both RAM and HD are glued to the main body, preventing you from ordering extra Ram from Crucial and the likes. For the machine itself I can say wholeheartedly it pretty effing wonderful, no matter what I throw at it. An other aspect as well might relate to what you usually use for desktop/mobile as the eco system you exist within would make for an important consideration.

Having said this I am not knocking pc based laptops, I am sure there are some good choices out, I am just commenting on my personal experience with Macs. Good luck.
Dude, what is this 2004? Buy an external hard drive ffs. It has sufficient RAM anyways, but if you need more room just buy a hard drive, they're not that expensive.

Indeed, the Haswell release will transform the world of technology. Can't wait, all of the cashed paychecks from the past few weeks are waiting to be splurged on this beauty.
You cant lug externals around. The main point of getting a laptop is portability.

LetsCookBreakfast
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby LetsCookBreakfast » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:31 am

So you're saying something like this can't fit into a backpack?

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 am

I am saying its dumb to get a nice portable device and then add other peripherals to it when you do not need to.

LetsCookBreakfast
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby LetsCookBreakfast » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:38 am

I am saying its dumb to get a nice portable device and then add other peripherals to it when you do not need to.
It depends on what you use it for. If it's for leisure, certainly, an external hard drive would be unnecessary.

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:45 am

I use one myself but only for backing up, my main point was the retina macbook pros not having the possibility of upgrading HD or RAMs unless you buy expensive Apple branded ones which are astronomical in price. I buy a top specced macbook pro sans HD and RAM and upgrade via Crucial and others to max out both RAM and HD.

It also happens that as part of my work I need to take a Wacom tablet out with me whenever I am out on my laptop so I am personally bitter about adding yet an other peripherals to my case.

LetsCookBreakfast
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby LetsCookBreakfast » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:11 pm

I use one myself but only for backing up, my main point was the retina macbook pros not having the possibility of upgrading HD or RAMs unless you buy expensive Apple branded ones which are astronomical in price. I buy a top specced macbook pro sans HD and RAM and upgrade via Crucial and others to max out both RAM and HD.

It also happens that as part of my work I need to take a Wacom tablet out with me whenever I am out on my laptop so I am personally bitter about adding yet an other peripherals to my case.
Yeah, the biggest pro about the cMBP is the ability to upgrade. I can purchase one now but I'm really looking forward to the new one. The cMBP also has an anti-glare feature that's ideal for classes that are really bright. :up:

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:38 pm

They died? How did they die? I could understand a laptop failing, or a battery losing an ability to hold a charge, but a desktop? Run a defragment program, top up on RAM, maybe install a better video card, and an operating system worthy of using. Why shell out ridiculous sums on a Mac?

Stay away from HP and I haven't had much better experience with Acer, but that's just me. Laptops are iffy, cause it's pretty much a one-off in most cases, as people usually don't bother with upgrading internal parts. But in the end, it's all according to how you'll use it. I think someone mentioned surfing vs practical work.

Personally, if I'm buying a fresh desktop or setting up my own, I wouldn't bother with a pricey laptop buy. Probably just get something light like a netbook/ultrabook/whatever they're called now and sync the two devices.

Rabshoole
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rabshoole » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:27 pm

I was thinking of a replacement for my desktop and laptop after they both died. I was interested in a Macbook. Is the new Macbook Pro 13" Retina worth the premium price?
Judging from the online reviews, go for it :up:

LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:42 am

I think I might just wait for the Asus Zenbook UX301.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.