Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

This girl is a rising young star in my town

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
MenaceToSociety
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

This girl is a rising young star in my town

Postby MenaceToSociety » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm

by Ilhan Abukar Dahir
Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I visited Mogadishu this summer. I saw the land of my father and my father’s father, the breathtaking landscape that gave birth to my mother’s people. And in that time, greeted by the Indian Ocean and the stubborn remains of a breathtaking landscape, I felt a reluctant homecoming. And throughout my stay I was cloaked in a fragmented yet vivid sense of belonging.
I’m not entirely sure what I expected but walking into a region ravaged by conflict spanning just over two decades, I think I anticipated a palpable sense of brokenness. I might have envisioned downturned eyes and defeated shoulders. There was probably even space in my incomplete expectations for the darkened landscape of a post-apocalyptic region, illustrated so despairingly in the articles I’ve read. Much to my surprise, however, souls were not shattered. And although I looked, hope was not present either. In its place was something like a disconcerting acceptance, a quiet, throbbing despondence that rushes into hopes forgotten void.
Just beyond the rubble, and between the bullet-wounded buildings I saw a will to survive. Not only to survive in the literal sense, although this I observed this as well, I saw a desire to fully live. Having visited during the month of Ramadan, I was told again and again that I should stay after Ramadan. Since the city quieted down during the day due to the fast, people seemed frustrated that they couldn’t show me all that their city had to offer. I saw a generosity of spirit I have never experienced and I was taken aback. And I was welcomed. And I was at home.
Coming back to the state I’ve learned to call home, a sense of responsibility for the land my parent’s call Mother creeps quietly into my conscious. Responsibility for a peaceful and thriving future sits on my mind and heart like a birthright I don’t quite understand, or want to understand or even fully accept – and yet it weighs on me, was given to me and is mine to fulfill.
To those outside the diaspora this is a difficult concept to understand. But to those born somewhere between here and there, who speak in a medley of language, who dance to the largely incomprehensible beat of the middle – to the sons and daughters of paradox, this message of double allegiance makes as much sense as breathing.
Indeed, it has been a duty bestowed upon our generation the minute our fathers turned their guns on each other. And as they fled the chaos that ensued, they made sure to arm us with all the artillery we would need to combat their failures, they handed us pens and books to do our bidding. They ask us to begin the work that will take generations to complete. But louder than that, upon visiting the land that once lived only in the abstract confines of my mind, I heard a louder calling.
As I boarded the plane to Nairobi, I felt a curious pang in my heart. It was as if the sweltering tide, the breathtaking landscape, the generous people, the whispering wind all called to me, glorious and loud, “Return! It is your time. Return and bring your siblings! Return with your burgeoning mind and tender heart! Return with your doubt and apprehension! Return even if you are not sure! Return for your children! Return for yourself! Return with your contradictions! Return with vision, with love, with humility, with kindness! Return with your splintered language made beautiful with circumstance! Return to your mother! Just, return!”

Ilhan Abukar Dahir
Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio
dahir.10@osu.edu

Sadly though, this young impressionable woman will, in my utmost calculation, in few years, end up with a lover where she will remember these moments as those potential years. Eventually ninkeeda uun baa ku aasi oo ciyaal badan ka so daadin doona..that's usually the ending story of every young aspiring Somali chicks, mid uun ba dab sabab doono..just as I have :stylin:
Last edited by MenaceToSociety on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CushiticReflections
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: This girl is a rising young star in my town

Postby CushiticReflections » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Yet another excellent post. :up:

Insomniac
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Insomniac » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Post a better picture.

MenaceToSociety
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby MenaceToSociety » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Yet another excellent post. :up:

Ok headmaster, loool, gosh your awesome

GeoSeven
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Out of my mind somewhere...always somewhere, never an exact location.

Postby GeoSeven » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Her pops is Abukar Baale. not too sure but I think he is the director of security and interior/deputy minister...one of those anyway. That chick is actually quite intelligent!

Maandhow
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Maandhow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Nice one :up:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.