Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First cousin marriages

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

First cousin marriages

Postby surria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:55 pm

First cousin marriages, what do you think about them? Really, am I the only Somali person that sees something wrong with this?

Do you think that they should be allowed in the west? Why? State your case.

Also, what do you thing about the whole western stance towards this issue, do you think it's Warranted?

I guess I was really interested in this phenomenon among the Somali people, I never really knew that this was allowed by Islam, until recently.

surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby surria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:02 pm

The current State Laws Regarding Marriages Between First Cousins are as fallows:

"Twenty-four states prohibit marriages between first cousins. Six states allow first cousin marriage under certain circumstances, and North Carolina allows first cousin marriage but prohibits double-cousin marriage. Twenty states and the District of Columbia allow cousin marriage. States generally recognize marriages of first cousins married in a state where such marriages are legal."
Last edited by surria on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rightwing
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rightwing » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:02 pm

Surria,
Are you involved this marriage? if yes go a head it's Hallal.
LE JUSTICIER

xoogSADE14
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby xoogSADE14 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:04 pm

the hell with the west, if they can allow men to lie with other men (an abomination before ALLAH) then a guy and a chick who happen to be related falling in love is understandable Embarassed

with that said i personally do not like cousins getting married cause i see all my cousins as my sisters. but the point is i do not condemn or make fun of those who fall in love with their cousins and you shouldn't either Arrow

surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby surria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:08 pm

[quote="Rightwing"]Surria,
Are you involved this marriage? if yes go a head it's Hallal.
LE JUSTICIER[/quote]

no bro, I just heard that it was Halaal and I just couldn’t believe it, and the first time I’ve ever heard cousin marriages taking place in our community was from another forum member, so I got so baffled that I wanted to make a whole threat on this issue in order to find out, what people really think of it, certainly am against it.

surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby surria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:17 pm

[quote="xoogSADE14"]the hell with the west, if they can allow men to lie with other men (an abomination before ALLAH) then a guy and a chick who happen to be related falling in love is understandable Embarassed

with that said i personally do not like cousins getting married cause i see all my cousins as my sisters. but the point is i do not condemn or make fun of those who fall in love with their cousins and you shouldn't either Arrow[/quote]

Hello!

This is by no means a thread to insult or demean people, but rather to weigh the pros and cons of this type of relationship. You've made a logical point here, and I completely agree with you in regards to gay marriage, but here in the U.S gay marriage is still illegal, it was one of the major reasons why bush got reelected.

I guess i wanted to find out, if this practice really is genetically unsound, or if it's just an American old wives' tale?

Gacalisa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Gacalisa » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:29 pm

hun, its halal but i think if most of us were living back in somalia we would have a different perpective of it. i dont think that there is any thing wrong with it, but its just disgusting to me. but if Allah said its ok then its ok.

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:32 pm

Alla, maxaa la mareekanoobay! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kidding..

It's perfectly halal BUT alot of people think is weird..i do too. Unless my cousin was halle berry hot, i'd not marry her....but second and distant cousins are OK!..

and like xoogSADE said, who cares about the west?

surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby surria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:39 pm

[quote="LionHeart-112"]Alla, maxaa la mareekanoobay! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kidding..

It's perfectly halal BUT alot of people think is weird..i do too. Unless my cousin was halle berry hot, i'd not marry her....but second and distant cousins are OK!..

and like xoogSADE said, who cares about the west?[/quote]

How about the whole congenital defects thing? I mean that is one of the major reasons why the U.S. doesn't allow it, and they only allow it in special cases where there's no chance of procreation.

Also, I’m embarrassed to confess, but my Islamic knowledge is limited on this subject, can someone explain to me, why it is Halaal?

The-Screw
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The-Screw » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:54 pm

if marriages to first cousin was Xaram under Islam, half of you woulnd't be here. Very Happy

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:57 pm

Surria,

Recent studies have shown that the whole congetal defects is pure bullshit. The west prohibits the same reason they prohibit polygmy--it's not modern..

Say_what1
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Say_what1 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:09 pm

[quote="LionHeart-112"]Surria,

Recent studies have shown that the whole congetal defects is pure bullshit. The west prohibits the same reason they prohibit polygmy--it's not modern..[/quote]

I agree

I would never marry my first cousin but im not against is senes its halal.

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:21 pm

Surria..walaal, move from Florida to MN or OH. U sound like u don't have many muslim/somali friends.. Laughing

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:23 pm

"I never really knew that this was allowed by Islam, until recently."

You did not know how to pray until recently, either. Laughing

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:24 pm

^^^balaayo kugu dhacday, maandhoow inanta faraha ka qaad.. Laughing Laughing

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.