Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First cousin marriages

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby surria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:31 pm

[quote="QansaGabeyle"]"I never really knew that this was allowed by Islam, until recently."

You did not know how to pray until recently, either. Laughing[/quote]

It is true that I’ve never learned how to pray. If you don't live around Muslim people, and your parents aren't practicing Muslims then you would be in my predicament as well. However, that doesn’t mean that I don't see myself as Muslim or value the faith less, it just means that there are a lot I need to learn, which was not taught to me.
Last edited by surria on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:34 pm

Surria--walaal don't mind him. He is just trying to piss you off. Just learn slowly. You already have the right attitude and ambition. May Allah (swt) make your learning journey a productive and smooth one..

great website that i absolutely love is www.islamonline.org

bookmark it and learn as much as you can..there is a fatwa bank in which you can find answers to almost any question, specially conterversial ones like the one you asked...

again, good luck.

i'm off to AFUR and MAGHRIB.

B00
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby B00 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:34 pm

[quote="LionHeart-112"]Surria,

Recent studies have shown that the whole congetal defects is pure bullshit. The west prohibits the same reason they prohibit polygmy--it's not modern..[/quote]

First cousin marriages have showen some symptoms of deformability. In most cases there intolerable risk to their offspring. But in other cases their lower risk of having children with genetic conditions than is widely perceived.

It's unpredictable and contingent, I won't take that chance, You never know the outcome.

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:36 pm

BOO--after several studies, scientists have found that the risk is of having deformed kids by cousin mrriages is the same for the general population....

B00
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby B00 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:40 pm

[quote="LionHeart-112"]BOO--after several studies, scientists have found that the risk is of having deformed kids by cousin mrriages is the same for the general population....[/quote]

It's 50/50, it is unforeseen, I'd rather not take the chance. I would disapproval such alliance.

surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby surria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:43 pm

[quote="LionHeart-112"]Surria--walaal don't mind him. He is just trying to piss you off. Just learn slowly. You already have the right attitude and ambition. May Allah (swt) make your learning journey a productive and smooth one..

great website that i absolutely love is www.islamonline.org

bookmark it and learn as much as you can..there is a fatwa bank in which you can find answers to almost any question, specially conterversial ones like the one you asked...

again, good luck.

i'm off to AFUR and MAGHRIB.[/quote]

Thanks lion, I will certainly safe it on my PC.

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:49 pm

It is "save it" not "safe it". Laughing

Boo,

Although I don't believe in scientists I still believe cousin fukking is not the way to go. Imagine your relationship not working; that means that person will still be in your life even after the marriage ended. Laughing

surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby surria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:13 pm

[quote="QansaGabeyle"]It is "save it" not "safe it". Laughing

Boo,

Although I don't believe in scientists I still believe cousin fukking is not the way to go. Imagine your relationship not working; that means that person will still be in your life even after the marriage ended. Laughing[/quote]

Lol, very true...there goes my misspelled word. Hihihii, i often see people make mistakes like that. For example these are the most frequently misspelled or often confused words: accept, to except, or advice/advise, affect/effect, all ready and already etc Laughing Laughing

well, anyway it's safe to say that i will save the link Razz

dhuusa_deer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby dhuusa_deer » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:10 pm

Surria,

You are right, there is higher statistical probability for deformed offsprings from first cousin marriages then from distant marriages. But the odds are ONLY 2-3%, not a whole lot and certainly not good enough a reason to shun first cousin marriages. But across the globe first cousin marriages are not the norm, at least not for large populations. So what made societies look down on first cousin marriages and prefer it to marrying outsiders?

If you look to religions, you wont find the answer since no religion I'm aware of that forbids such marriages. Look into societies, ibid. The answer lies in mother nature and EVOLUTION.

Evolution requires, for species to survive, to continuously replenish and recycle its gene pool (of POPULATION, note the distinction) with newer genes. You won't get newer genes into your gene pool if you marry your first cousins since that is like adding your genes (akin to Asexual reproduction -- NO genetic diversity!). But when you marry unrelated person, your offsprings will have a mix of the genes of you two and they in turn marry unrelated persons will reproduce offsprings with even more diverse genes. Overall, the gene pool and the continuations of the species benefits from unrelated unions. In fact, it is encumbent that such marriages take place for the SURVIVAL of the species. Since we humans like to live and survive, we'll continue to look down on first cousin marriages.

So in the end analysis, it is mother nature and Evolution that is behind the propensity for outside marriages over inside (first cousin) marriages. Not society, religions or any other unmentioned factors. It is for this reason that we can have confidence in the continuation of outside marriages as long as we survive as species.

So, Surria, you can marry your cousin/s all you like. No worry, not a great deal at least, of deformed children. But think of the pandora's box you'll open and unleash untold woes on not only your offsprings but on ALL of humanity. I know you're trying to be hip and cool and set a new trend of cousin marriages but I implore on you to consider the ramifications.
Last edited by dhuusa_deer on Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:12 pm

"i know you're trying to be hip and cool and set a new trend of cousin marriages but I implore on you to consider the ramifications."

WTF??????? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

OH MY GOD..ARE U SERIOUS DUDE?

U ARE SICK WALAHI.

dhuusa_deer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby dhuusa_deer » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:32 pm

^^^^

Lion,

when am I not serious? I cross my heart and hope to die if I am lying.

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:32 pm

^^Cross your heart? U are dirty christian now? uff.

get lost, waxash foqol idiot.

Xyaad
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Xyaad » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:37 pm

I say whatever floats your boat... you want to marry your cousin go ahead but I think its too close for comfort!

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:37 pm

[quote="Xyaad"]I say whatever floats your boat... you want to marry your cousin go ahead but I think its too close for comfort![/quote]

Does that mean our wedding is off? Laughing

Dhaga Bacayl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Dhaga Bacayl » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:38 pm

Lion,

Do you say UFF in real life?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.