Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Labour lives again

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Oh Allah, I ask of you peace & faith in this world & in the hereafter

Labour lives again

Postby Octavius » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:32 pm

:dj:
Labour plan to part re-nationalise rail network

Labour will soon unveil a promise to change the law to allow for the part re-nationalisation of the rail network.Public and not-for-profit companies would be allowed to run train services as well as private firms.I understand that Ed Miliband and the rail unions have reached an agreement on this.

It comes as the party leadership fights off calls for full-scale re-nationalisation of the railways at this weekend's Labour policy conference.The new law would allow the creation of a state-owned train company to compete against Virgin, Stagecoach and other private companies to run services in different parts of the country.At the moment the East Coast Mainline is run by a public company which was established when the private firm running it said it could no longer deliver the service.Compromise motion.

However, the coalition government is committed to getting a private firm to take it over later this year.Labour say that it is bizarre that state run railways in other countries can bid to run this and other services, but not a British equivalent.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28349630

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Labour lives again

Postby Octavius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Labour steps up rail re-nationalisation campaign

Labour Party to introduce a bill in Parliament on Wednesday that would allow a state-owned train operator to bid for lucrative rail franchises. Labour will on Wednesday call for a change to the law that could lead to the re-nationalisation of Britain’s railways.

Andy Sawford, MP for Corby and East Northamptonshire, will propose a bill that would allow a train operator owned by the British taxpayer to compete against private companies for lucrative contracts to run rail lines.

The bill, which will be proposed immediately after Prime Minister’s questions, will mark a significant step-up in Labour’s campaign to partially re-nationalise the railways, after party leader, Ed Miliband, signalled this summer that he would intervene in the industry, two decades after it was privatised by John Major’s Conservative Government.

Private transport companies are expecting the railways to become a major political battle ground in the run up to the General Election, as Labour argues that taxpayers in this country should be able to profit from Britain’s railways.

Mr Miliband said in August that train operators controlled by other European Governments, such as Arriva, Keolis and Abellio, are allowed to run rail lines in this country but a company owned by the UK taxpayer is not able to bid for lucrative rail franchises.

:dj:

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Do u guys still have politicians who are naturally born aristocrats? Meaning, they still have a title? Like Lord so and so, or Duke? :eat:

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Octavius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:19 pm

Yes i think so...we have about a hundred Lords in the House of Lords (our upper chamber with unelected members) who are there because of their hereditary peerages. They have direct input into creating laws.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Octa

Wow. that is stunning. If that is so--then the peerage is very relevant in the 21st century. So nothing has changed really since the 18th century. Hhhmm

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Octavius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:47 pm

A lot has changed since the 18th century and there has been a lot of reform/change. There were a lot of hereditary peers in thr Lords but they were got rid of ago a long time ago and reduced to 100 or so. There are 100's more herditary peerages who don't sit in the Lords but they do control the lands/estates that come with their peerages. But i'm not sure, that's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:59 pm

Octa

Can u name me one popular politician in the UK who has a title? I mean, popular as in infamous or famous. :eat:

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Octavius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Baroness Sayeeda Warsi of Dewsbury (not a hereditary peerage). She isnt famous but she is well known, regularly on TV and has held high political positions

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Octavius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Basra, don't jealous her :umad:

Read this (changed link)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cracy.html

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Octavius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:24 pm

She made headlines when she attended her first cabinet meeting in a surwaal kamiiz. She recently resigned over the gov's handling of Gaza/Israel policy

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Baroness Warsi??? r u kidding me? I am sorry, the look of that woman, and the title gives me chilling shivers. If only Fanny Burney would come out of the dead and comment about this '21st' century aristocracy. She will laugh till she cried. :lol: :lol:

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Octavius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Basra yet again you have been brainwashed, but this time it seems your brainwashing is as a result of you reading Victorian era literature which inflicted you with Victoria era thinking. The fact that Baroness Warsi has reached the position that she has - as a Northern, working class, single mum, former comprehensive school student - is a great achievement and is more laudable than any entitled toff who had their position handed to them on a plate as an assumed birthright.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Octa

There u r--AGAIN--with your idealistic shenanigans. Your desire to democratize things makes u ruin things. Aristocracy is not about a democratic inclusiveness. Its about a club that is elite and some what unattainable, otherwise --what is the point. There are core rules to abide by to attain entrance. First-- enormous wealth, second, High rank aristocracy connection, and third your proximity to the majesty who bestows the peerage title. A Pakistani wearing a veil and being addressed as your ladyship Baroness Rotti ---is not proper sounding AT ALL!!. :dj: :dj:

PS By the way, I am not influenced by Victorian ideals. I am influenced by 18th century Regency era. :stylin:

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Octavius » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:50 pm

History is not my strong point :lol:

But on a serious note, if it were up to me all the assets of your beloved aristocracy would be seized and they would be left assets equivalent to 1 year's average salary in the UK. That should be enough for the transition period while they find jobs. After all, these lands and assets were accumulated through the oppression, exploitation and disposession of the peasentry. The decendents of the peasentry (the majority of the general public) should demand that these assets be seized and nationalised. All those stately homes of the aristocracy/ were built, maintained and run by...
To secure for the workers by hand or by brain the full fruits of their industry and thereof that may be possible upon the basis of the common ownership of the means of production, distribution and exchange, and the best obtainable system of popular administration and control of each industry or service.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.