Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Callin' all Tech Geeks...

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
The-Screw
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Callin' all Tech Geeks...

Postby The-Screw » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:22 pm

microsoft unveiled the NEW WINDOWS MEDIA player 11 the other day, you won't believe your eyes, the link below will show you what it'll look like with Windows Vista...

http://blog.seanalexander.com/images/Sc ... _Vista.png

other links YOU MUST check out.

Windows Live Messenger:
http://hive.net/Member/photos/screensho ... e8130.aspx

microsoft Live and Digital Lifestyle:
http://hive.net/Member/photos/screensho ... e8133.aspx

Photos of what Microsoft has in plan:
http://hive.net/Member/photos/screensho ... y1000.aspx

------------------

Citizen X
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Citizen X » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:52 pm

Nice interfaces as usual from microsof...

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:06 pm

That looks nice. I heard Sony is making a deal with the Linux OS makers so they can put Linux on the future Playstation consoles. This is scaring Microsoft.

Citizen X
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Citizen X » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:10 pm

[quote="QansaGabeyle"]That looks nice. I heard Sony is making a deal with the Linux OS makers so they can put Linux on the future Playstation consoles. This is scaring Microsoft.[/quote]

it wont be so bad..microsoft gets scared on desktop pc market..a window pc on everyhome...

The Arabman
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The Arabman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:18 pm

QansaGabeyle, what you have heard about Sony is true. The current Playstation (PS2) also supports Linux. Heck, even X-Box runs Linux, and I think by now X-Box 360 has been hacked to run Linux.

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page

The-Screw
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The-Screw » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:49 pm

PS3 is out this spring... countdown is on. check this link:
http://www.ps3land.com/ps3-pictures/ps3-pictures.php

michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby michael_ital » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:41 pm

Can't wait. The controller's ill! Cool

Rampage
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Soul. Beatin the shit out niggas propa, I beat’em till they holla, beat’em til the cops come.

Postby Rampage » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:07 pm

Most of Vista features unadulterated ripoffs from Apple Mac OS X.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/te ... cuits.html

The best part was a demonstration of Windows Vista, the next version of Windows, which Microsoft still says it will ship before the end of 2006. The audience in the standing-room-only auditorium was treated to a show of some features that hadn't been previously demonstrated. Here's an annotated blow-by-blow:

* Transparent window edges. Well, it's true that Vista looks nicer than any previous version of Windows. But I'm just not sure about the value of transparent window edges. They're cool, sure; but exactly how many times, in your work life, have you muttered, "Darn! If only I could see just the part of the background window that's currently obscured by the 1/3-inch margin of the foreground window"?

* Widgets. Vista will let you summon, at the right edge of the screen, widgets: single-purpose, single-window little programs. One's an egg timer, one's a news ticker, and so on. It's a lot like the Dashboard in Mac OS X (or the shareware Konfabulator that came before it), except that apparently, you can't put the widgets anywhere on the screen you like.

* 3-D application switcher. With a keystroke, Vista can present you with a stacked deck of every window that's open on your machine, making it easier to hunt through them for one particular window. It's a lot like the Exposé feature in Mac OS X, except that you don't get to see all of the windows simultaneously; you have to walk through them one at a time with the mouse or keyboard.

* Global, fast search. Vista can now find words in any of your files, quickly and easily, just like the Spotlight feature of Mac OS X.

* Photo organization. Some limited photo editing is now built into Vista's photo browser, which couldn't look more like Apple's iPhoto program if you ran it through a copying machine.

If I seem to be laying on the "stolen from Apple" language a bit thick, you're darned right. Ordinarily, I'm careful about making accusations like this, because I know I'll get hammered by Apple bashers. But in this case, there's not a shred of doubt: most of the features Microsoft demonstrated last night were pure, unadulterated ripoffs from Mac OS X. I could hear actual whispers of recognition from the audience around me.

Does it matter? Not really. The courts have established that you can't copyright a software idea (only its code); besides, Apple occasionally helps itself to Microsoft's ideas, too. Truth is, I use both Mac OS X and Windows, and I'll be happy to have these features on both platforms.

Besides, there were a few Vista features that Microsoft apparently dreamed up all by itself:

* Sideshow. This ("sideshow," not "slideshow") is an optional feature of future, Vista-compatible laptops: an external L.C.D. screen that lets you look up, for example, your calendar without actually having to boot the thing up. Sideshow was displayed only briefly and without much explanation, so that's about all we know.

* Slideshows with movies. The new Vista photo browser won't just show still photos; it will also integrate your camera's video clips into the slideshows.

* Stacks. In the new Windows Media Player, when you sort by Genre, your albums' icons appear as piles of album covers, neatly grouped by kind of music.

* Thumbnail tabbed browsing. Internet Explorer will finally get tabbed browsing (a feature that Firefox, Safari and other browsers have had for years), in which you can keep multiple Web pages open at once, all in the same window; you switch from one to the next by clicking little file-folder tabs at the top. But in the Vista browser, you can also view all your tabbed Web pages as window miniatures, so that you can jump to one according to what it looks like (rather than just its name). A great idea.

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:13 pm

Rampage, does that mean Apple will lose its already tiny number of customers to Microsoft because of Windows Vista? Laughing

Rampage
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Soul. Beatin the shit out niggas propa, I beat’em till they holla, beat’em til the cops come.

Postby Rampage » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:27 pm

No Qansa, not really. See the thing about Apple users is that they are so extreem, it more like a religion walahi. They love the company so much and idolize Steve Jobs, to them its a war and no matter what you cant take the Apple in them. Apple has a small but GUARANTEED share of the market, thats why its surviving to this day Smile

HiTech_ChiC
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby HiTech_ChiC » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 pm

dont watch that crap.

this time it's GOOGLE versus MICROSOFT.

i bet GOOGLE will win this time around. we dont Microsoft anyways, Google can do

foolxume2005
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby foolxume2005 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:02 pm

The-Screw
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The-Screw » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:13 pm

Microsoft vs. Google

By Paul Andrews

Special to The Seattle Times

It's easy to tell who's the No. 1 high-tech company at any given time. It's the one everybody seems to fear and hate.

It happened with Xerox, IBM, Microsoft and to some extent Intel. None is as dominant as it once was, in part due to antitrust strictures, but also a changing landscape. Instead, a new bogeyman is spooking the corridors of 2006: Google. With a searingly hot stock and a portfolio bursting with world-changing ideas, Google inspires the awe and dread that inevitably accompany the mantle of No. 1.

The bogeyman feeds some intrinsic need for tech denizens to target an enemy. Call it Borg Love: Resistance is futile, we will be assimilated, but we really need you to motivate us!

From the late 1980s through the turn of the century, Microsoft epitomized the Borg complex. But if any one shift marked 2005 in the technology world, it's that Borg changed brands.

By any portfolio measure except one, Microsoft is still the elephant in the doorway. Its head count, revenue, profits and product lineup dwarf Google's and will for some time.

But there's that growth thing. Like a wet-eared Internet qualifier at the World Series of Poker, Google keeps doubling up, while onetime Harvard poker great (and dropout) Bill Gates nurses his stack.

Google is building from a much smaller base, of course. But growth has a way of feeding innovation, and vice versa.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, the cycle also works in reverse. Slower growth has a way of inducing lethargy and vice versa.

Can Microsoft get its groove back? If any year holds the promise, it's 2006. Windows and Office upgrades, Xbox's strong initial showing and a host of vaguely referenced new products suggest a banner year.

But the question doesn't seem to fire up tech folk nearly as much as how far Google can go. As one wag put it, some day we'll all Google our Googles as we Google to Google.

advertising
Microsoft can draw encouragement from two perceptions. First is the sense the Redmond gang represents the only real hope for curbing Google hegemony in the broadband-driven world known as Web 2.0.

Second, the words "Google" and "monopoly" are starting to be whispered in the same breath. In a market so amorphous, it may seem ludicrous to think one company could exert exclusionary force.

But that's what they said about the PC business in late 1989, when federal investigators first looked into possible antitrust activity by a nascent Redmond company.

In its defense, Google might point to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's September vow in BusinessWeek: "We won the desktop. We won the server. We will win the Web."

Faced with having to choose a monopolist, tech minions may spend 2006 hoping Microsoft and Google focus their energy on each other, leaving the little guys free to do real innovation.

Seattle freelance writer Paul Andrews has written about technology for more than two decades. He can be reached at pandrews@seattletimes.com.

The-Screw
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The-Screw » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:17 pm

you know what i really think... this is all garbage, honestly, google is no match for microsoft. no way! as far as i'm concerned you can combine Google and Apple and they still wouldn't match what microsoft has done, microsoft is here to stay...for good.

Citizen X
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Citizen X » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:19 pm

^^ your right screw microsoft hasnt got limits.. where as google is just the web.. microsoft is everywhere... is insult to ms..
lets just pray for MS to produce shidh sofware...all good news for jobs

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.