Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man is found dead after 1 year, TV still on

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
FAH1223
webmaster

Man is found dead after 1 year, TV still on

Postby FAH1223 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:19 pm

70-Year-Old Man Found Dead in Front of TV a Year Later
Sunday , February 18, 2007

By Hannah Sentenac

HAMPTON BAYS, N.Y. —

Vincenzo 'Vinnie' Ricardo was the proverbial tree that fell in the forest: No one knew.

From what police in Hampton Bays, N.Y., can determine, the 70-year-old was sitting alone watching TV in his two-story home when he died.

That was more than a year ago, and when workers were summoned to his house last week after a report that freezing temperatures had caused the home's pipes to burst, they found Ricardo's mummified body still sitting on the couch, the TV still on.

A neighbor of Ricardo's, Deanna Devon, was shocked that no one discovered him sooner.

"He was blind and he used to wander into the street. I used to worry he would get hit," she told FOXNews.com.

Vinnie was often seen walking in the streets with his cane, Devon said.

Ricardo had been stricken blind in his 50s and suffered from diabetes.

He apparently died of natural causes, according to Dr. Stuart Dawson, Suffolk County deputy chief medical examiner.

Due to the dry air in his house, Ricardo's body was well-preserved, leaving his features and hair intact.

"You could see his face. He still had hair on his head," morgue assistant Jeff Bacchus told Newsday. "I've been on the job 35 years, and I've never seen anyone dead that long."

"Vinnie had people who came to help take care of him, so I don’t understand this," Devon said.

Hampton Bays is a small hamlet of 12,200 people on the eastern end of Long Island. Town detectives handling the case did not return phone calls Saturday.

Ricardo was widowed years ago and had lived alone since then, Newsday reported. The house was set in the woods far back from the road, according to neighbors, which made it difficult to observe Ricardo's actions.

"He hasn't been heard from in over a year. That's the part that baffles me," Dawson said. "Nobody sounded the alarm."

"We heard he had family somewhere nearby, but he was estranged from them," Devon added.

Neighbor April Cowden told the paper that she used to help Ricardo by reading his mail to him, paying his bills and buying his groceries. But in the summer of 2005, he began to demand more of her time, and when she couldn't comply, they had a falling out.

"I needed to go to work [one day] and he wanted me to stay," Cowden, 37, told Newsday.

About a month later, Cowden said, she saw an ambulance at his house. Later, when she saw the mail begin to pile up, Cowden thought he was in the hospital.

Authorities are at a loss as to how the electricity remained on in Ricardo's home all this time. Attempts to reach the Long Island Power Authority were unsuccessful Saturday.

"Something just seems really strange about all this. There are so many little things that don't make sense," Devon said.

"I didn’t really know him very well, but apparently nobody did."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

biko
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Man is found dead after 1 year, TV still on

Postby biko » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:20 pm

whos gonna pay for that one years tv licence i wonder?

LionHeart-112
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LionHeart-112 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:21 pm

sounds like my dad if my mom stopps nagging.

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:52 am

Must have been a hell of a show. Poor guy starved to death because he didn't want to stop watching it.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.