Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somali proverbs and their originators and the story behind i

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Somali proverbs and their originators and the story behind i

Postby X.Playa » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:09 am

For every somali adage there is a story behind it and some of them can be attributed to some historical personalities such as Guuleed Xaaji Axmed (1810-1887) , Axmed Koorejaan (1820-1890), Ducaale Suldaan (1790-1878),Suldaan Diiriye Sugule (1750-1823), Adan Galaydh,Faarax Sanweyne (1810-1877), Meygaag Ilko Dheere (1855-1918).

1- Godinyey badhkay hadaanu kugu jirin imaad goyseen( Guuleed Xaaji)
2- Dani Waa Seeto ( Ducaale Suldaan)
3- Dumar waa caruur cagweyn, dumar Taad Barataaba ba'n, (guuled Xaaji)
4- Raganimo Danteed mooga (Axmed Koore Jaan)
5- Gari Alley Taqaan ( Faarax Sanaweyne to his in law Caashur).

Godinyey hadaanu Badhkay kugu jirin imaad goyseen.

The cause of that proverb was the war between the Muuse Care in one side and the Ismaaciil Care in the other, the former was led by Oday Xasan and the later were led by Xirsi Amaan. It happened that the Muuse Care accused the Ismaaciil Care of killing one of their kins, when denied by the Ismaacil Care section the accused happened to have some of the property of the victim. When the tribal letigation took place the Arab mediator the son of Xirsi Amaan's sister sided with his uncle despite the fact that all evidence pointed to the legitmacy of the Muuse Care,s case. Upon enquiring to the cause of his strange verdict, the Arab (Isaaq) mediator simply put it to Oday Xasan " (Garta) U Dhalo Umaad Dhalane" hinting to the number of his kins.

The Muuse Care then decided to take matter into their hands and avenged their man which naturaly ignited inter-tribal war. During one battle Oday Xasan spoted the Arab man who was at the time not armed , seen Oday Xasan comming towards him spear ahead the Arab man pleaded recalling his maternal side , Oday Xasan driving his spear home commented " Ina love Yaanan U Dhalan".

Later the Muuse Care allied themselves with some sub-sections of the Harti now that they had a mutual enemey and again both sides enaged , Oday Xasan warrned the Harti not to kill 6 men he slected from the opposit side emphisizing to the Daarood that only they Muuse Care can kill these men. When the Harti killed the mentioned men , the alliance broke up but the damage was done and the Ismaaciil Care were defeated, which prompted Guuleed Xaaji Axmed to utter this proverb explaining to the gloating Daarood if hadn't been the fact that some parts of Habar Yoonis were fighting along side them they would have never managed to defeat him, thus:

Godinyay (Daaroodow) hadaanu badhkay (Muse Care) ku jirin imaad goyseen.
Last edited by X.Playa on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

LAFO-LAFO
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Support The governor of the die-hard nationalist Ali Sandule

Re: Somali proverbs and their originators and the story behind i

Postby LAFO-LAFO » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:40 am

One proverbs history lesson that's very interesting.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 pm

Dani Waa Seeto by Ducaale Suldaan Guuleed "Aftaag".

Ducaale suldaan was the junior son of the first Ciidagale sultaan , he sought the sultante for 60 years and never grasped it. He lived during his father's rule , his brother Faaraxa, the son of Faarax(Xasan) and even few years into Diiriye's (son of Xasan) term in 1870, 4 sultanes in total.

When Guuleed died the legitmate inheritor of the line was the eldest son Rooble Guuleed , when Ducaale and the other protested Shermaarke Adan Cabdi and his 20 sons sided with Faarax and thus Faarax was crowned. When Faarax was killed by the Habar Yoonus the son of Rooble (Magan) attempted to reclaim his father's right the conyving Ducaale arranged his murder and even killed the 4 sons of Magan Rooble (Magan Gaabo). Magan's newly wed Ogaadeen wife fled to her kin saving the unborn 5th child of Magan Gaabo.( this son would avenge his father and borthers in a long 11 years one man war killing 20 men from Faarax/Ducaal/Sharmeerak's section, its an epic story with its own poems and stories cuurently Muuse Cali Faruur is making a video tape of the story.).

Having gotten rid of Magan and his childern at last Ducaale could claim the evasive sultantes but not quite yet. Faarax had maltitude of sons, Maxamed, Xirsi Jabane, the poet warrior Nuur Taye and the youngest 2 from his last Ogaadeen wife Hure (the great grandfather of Buubaa) and Warfaa. The later 2 were infants, the eldest was Xirsi a man in his mid 30's who broke his shoulder during a battle with the Ogaaden and never got healed , Ducaale taking advantage of Xirsi's handicap excluded him on the bases of " Suldaan Iin Le caleemo saari karo" a handicaped Sultan would not suit the position.

Finally solidfying his gains he married the widow of his brother Faarax and the mother of Nuur Taye and Maxamed , Iijo , and proclaimed himself a sultan. Despite his long crule fight for the sultantes and his exploite with the Ogaadeen , the mighty Duucaale Sultan was once seen been awakened by Iijo with her left foot, bewildered followers of the sultan wondered why, how Duucaale "Aftaag" the poet, warrior and the sultan be treated by a woman in such a manner, quipping Ducaale Aftaag said:

Dani( saldanadu) Waa Seeto.

After few years Ducaale was de-thrown, he lived to an old rip age and finally upon his death ordered his clan to put him on a horse and take him where he last battled the Ogaadeen an area between Awaare and Daroor and last be buried there , asked to the reason of his request his last words were, "Let the Daarood upon seen the grave of Ducaale Aftaag know where they belong and where their borders lay"...

Dani Waa Seeto , Ducaale Aftaag.

Ducale was the father of Nuur Dhegacun and Qawdhan Ducaale , his decendent are today a sub-clan of the reer Guuleed.

LAFO-LAFO
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby LAFO-LAFO » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:31 pm

X.playa
Thanks to remind me the histories of our ancestors sxb. Guuleed waxaan maqlay in markuu dhimanayey Sheikh Abdala aka Richard burton loo keenay inuu quraan ku akhriyo, laakiinse guleed markiiba gartay inuu yahay gaal...sidaasna ay ka dhalatay in sheikh Abdala la daba galo lana kashifo.
Maxaa ka jira?

maria from west side
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby maria from west side » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:36 pm

What do we have here, a Mussa Cabdaleh and a Ciidagale, nice! Smile

LAFO-LAFO
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby LAFO-LAFO » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:40 pm

maria from west side

You can add Gunbuur and Uduruxmiin if it's makes sense for you!

maria from west side
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby maria from west side » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:22 pm

Uduruxmiin? Never heard of it...Gunbuur on the other hand er well known in East Africa. Smile

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Udurixmiin Muuse Abokor was the legendary gardian of sheekh Isxaaq's shrine , the man never slept guarding the shrine and he even lost his life at the hand of his cousin Damal Muuse Care prompting him to run form all Isaaq and migrate south, thats why most of Damal Muuse like Dr Gaboose lived in Galguduud region.

Cilmiile
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cilmiile » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Lafo Lafo so Michael Maryama Luuli is your grandpa. Shame shame.

But lemme give u the history of Richard Burton. He was received as a guest at the house of the British Consul Xaaji Sharmaarke of the Muuse Carre. On his way to Harar Burton went through Habar Awal lands and started asking questions about Female genital mutilation in Somalia and requested to see the reproductive organs of Habar Awal women to get an idea of this crazy practice. Habar Awal were offended but as always there are some Damiirlaawe everywhere and there were some low class characters in the Habar Awal who allowed him to see and take pictures of their ladies' holy chambers.

But all this time Habar AWal are thinking he is a muslim Holy man so the incensed elements within Habar Awal are not willing to take action. But they sent a delegation to Xaaji Sharmaarke and asked him about his guest Xaaji Cabdalla. Sharmaarke told them that the Sheekh in question is not even Muslim never mind being a holy man.

They asked him how he knew this fact. And he told them the reason is because he, Xaaji Sharmaarke, saw Xaaji Cabdala's P enis and he is not circumcised.

So the Habar Awal went back into the jungle and organized an ambush for Xaaji Cabdalla/ Richard Burton on his trip back to the coast from Harar. As a result the famous engagement took place that was described in First Footsteps in East AFrica.

Months later when the Habar Awal came to the coast they thanked Xaaji Sharmaarke for his information. But they inquired how he discovered that Burton was not circumsized. History relates that Xaaji Sharmaarke became at a loss for words and became very agitated. There has been a lot of speculation over the years how he saw Burton's p enis.

biko
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby biko » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:19 pm

Cilmiile

dont you ever get tired of this Habar Awal, garxajist ping pong? or is it the only way to get at x.player?

Cilmiile
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cilmiile » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:22 pm

Biko

This is just history discussion. What ping pong are u talking about. This is a well known story. It was even in the Somali history books. Except the Kacaan censored out the Qabiil names and details. But I came by my history from the old guys with whom I used to play Shax in the north and Jar Duqeed in the south.

DawladSade
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby DawladSade » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:24 pm

at same point surely these ppl will realize no one cares about dirayge sugule iyo belaayo kale no one has ever heard, ever wants to hear off, and sure as hell don't want to hear about now Shocked

biko
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby biko » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Cilmiile

its just sad to see you and x.player; the two most knowledgable faraxs in somali tribal and poetry history in this site, will use their knowledge to score cheap points over each other.

personaly whenever i come accrose a discussion between you two, i start to read with great interest but in a second i realise that you two twist and change things at will because of your qabyaal mentality.

Ina Baxar
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ina Baxar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Cilmiile , Biko is right , Xplaya wakaa aad arkayso , orodoo halkaa ku doono ,waa ku sugeyayee, maxaad anaga inoogu meeraysaneysa? Laughing Laughing

Cilmiile
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cilmiile » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:35 pm

Biko

History is not an objective truth. A variation in emphasis, eliding of few crucial facts and factors, ommision of others wil create a historical account entirely different from the narrative told by another person using different points of emphasis.

Both versions may absolutely correct. They may both bogus. One account may lie closer to reality. It is all up to the readers to winnow out the chaff from the wheat.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.