Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Samantar war criminial (Huffington post)

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Assisting the Mujahideen in Galgala to free their region

Samantar war criminial (Huffington post)

Postby Coeus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Somali War Criminal Liable for Crimes Against Humanity

Just days ago, Somali General Mohamad Ali Samantar, former Defense Minister and Commander of the Somali Armed Forces, appeared in a federal court in Virginia and did something that no high-ranking person from the former military dictatorship of Siad Barre has ever done -- he accepted liability for torture, extrajudicial killing, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and other human rights abuses committed against the civilian population of Somalia during the 1980s. This is the first time that anyone has been held to account anywhere in the world for atrocities committed by General Samantar and the military dictatorship that ruled Somalia for over 20 years.

General Samantar was the highest ranking military official in that dictatorship and he acknowledged giving the orders that led to the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians and displacement of hundreds of thousands from Somalia's second largest city, Hargeisa. Many of those who were displaced became refugees and eventually relocated to the United States. In fact, there are over 85,000 Somalis living in the United States today. And remarkably, General Samantar is also among those 85,000 -- having moved to Fairfax, Virginia, where he has lived comfortably, enjoying the benefits and privileges of U.S. residency, for the past 15 years.

When General Samantar stepped up to the court room podium and personally admitted liability for his crimes in front of the four plaintiffs who filed suit against him and other members of the Somali diaspora, it marked a poignant end to a seven-year quest for justice. For these plaintiffs, it was a stunning reversal of fortune to see General Samantar, who once presided over the country with an iron fist, humble himself in front of a federal judge. In the words of plaintiff Bashe Abdi Yousuf, "For many, many years, I have been looking for justice -- for my day in court and not just for me personally, but for the thousands of people in Somalia who were tortured, and murdered. It has been many years and required a lot of patience, but today Samantar is finally being held accountable for ordering these horrific crimes. It is hard to put into words what this means for me and so many others who were impacted by the Siad Barre regime. It gives me great comfort that I can put this chapter of my life behind."

The four plaintiffs in this case represented a cross-section of Somali society, from a rural goat herder to prominent businessmen; they were united by three common threads -- they and their families were all members of the Isaaq clan; they all suffered brutal treatment at the hands of General Samantar's armed forces; and they all steadfastly believed that they could achieve justice in a U.S. courtroom. Through their perseverance, these four courageous plaintiffs achieved that justice.

They also achieved another important goal: the judgment sends a strong and unmistakable message that former foreign officials cannot come to the U.S. and escape accountability for egregious human rights crimes committed in their home countries. The plaintiffs hope that this message reverberates in countries where dictators continue to commit human rights atrocities against their own citizens. That type of deterrence would mark the ultimate victory.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Re: Samantar war criminial (Huffington post)

Postby Voltage » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:59 pm

It is a blog post by the Lawyer representing the former Rebels. She's just mad the rebel plans have been waylaid by Samantar's default judgment which evoked of "liabilities" without any admission of guilt. She is trying to take the trial from the courts where it finished to public discourse. Nice try, but no.

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 pm

so wait, he's not guilty even though he admitted liability (ie. responsibility) for war crimes, which is what he was initially accused of?

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:10 pm

General Samantar did not personally order nor kill any single individual. They were using a separate issue (his participation in Somali government) and the fact he is on video giving a "command" for Somali forces to fight the rebels to tie him to their own alleged "personal" grievances in the matter of trial.

For 8 years, General Samantar was fighting whether the Somali government could even be brought to a court and that is what the Supreme Court decided on and what made Americans watch closely including Jewish groups in the US who wanted to stop off future attempts to bring the Israeli government to court.

Because of his age and financial situation for defense and the fact it took so long, General Samantar accepted the Somalia government has liability to be brought to court but not that he is guilty or that these individuals have something personal to bring against his own individual person. He finally said why would I sacrificed for a movement greater than myself and removed his own personal circumstances from the rebel's grievances with the "Somali government".

The judge accepted that default admission and ended trial. The lawyer is grasping for straws making it a victory that Somali government can be considered to hold "liabilities" when both she and her rebel clients wanted Gen Samantar's head on a platter all this time. Tricks are for kids. General Samantar tried to fight as long as he could for all his former colleagues and government but now he has defended himself individually. We have to respect that under the circumstances. :up:

soomajeeste9

Postby soomajeeste9 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm

:up: :up: :up: :up:

Jaidi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jaidi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm

So now General Samatar "ruled the country with an iron first" himself? This hyperbole is evolving into a legend of his own. Soon he'll be described as the equivalent of Saddam.

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Dude everyone that was part of the Kacaan in 1988 knew the civilian casualties. Samantar was the defence minister according to this article. I think that makes him damn accountable to what was happening.

Madhiiban miniority or not. He shouldnt be chilling in a luxury villa in the US.

And before you respond YES i know that riyaale was one of those fuckers too and i support the trial of that bastard too. But its indeed some truth in it that the langaabs pick and choose who they want to punish.

But my position is i support whoever was involved in the massacre to be tried. No picking and choosing.

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:16 pm

General Samantar did not personally order nor kill any single individual. They were using a separate issue (his participation in Somali government) and the fact he is on video giving a "command" for Somali forces to fight the rebels to tie him to their own alleged "personal" grievances in the matter of trial.

For 8 years, General Samantar was fighting whether the Somali government could even be brought to a court and that is what the Supreme Court decided on and what made Americans watch closely including Jewish groups in the US who wanted to stop off future attempts to bring the Israeli government to court.

Because of his age and financial situation for defense and the fact it took so long, General Samantar accepted the Somalia government has liability to be brought to court but not that he is guilty or that these individuals have something personal to bring against his own individual person. He finally said why would I sacrificed for a movement greater than myself and removed his own personal circumstances from the rebel's grievances with the "Somali government".

The judge accepted that default admission and ended trial. The lawyer is grasping for straws making it a victory that Somali government can be considered to hold "liabilities" when both she and her rebel clients wanted Gen Samantar's head on a platter all this time. Tricks are for kids. General Samantar tried to fight as long as he could for all his former colleagues and government but now he has defended himself individually. We have to respect that under the circumstances. :up:
source or some sort of quote?

lol @ rebel clients, these were regular Somali citizens who fell victim to the regime in the 80s, you can't deny that :up:

union
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby union » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Dude everyone that was part of the Kacaan in 1988 knew the civilian casualties. Samantar was the defence minister according to this article. I think that makes him damn accountable to what was happening.

Madhiiban miniority or not. He shouldnt be chilling in a luxury villa in the US.

And before you respond YES i know that riyaale was one of those fuckers too and i support the trial of that bastard too. But its indeed some truth in it that the langaabs pick and choose who they want to punish.

But my position is i support whoever was involved in the massacre to be tried. No picking and choosing.
Samantar worked to defend the people and government of Somalia from subversive elements. There is no shame in that.

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Samantar worked to defend the people and government of Somalia from subversive elements. There is no shame in that.
Well this is a subject we can agree to disagree :mrgreen:

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Suldaanka Guud beelaha reer Sheikh isxaaq Bani Axmed Bani Hashiim. In the republic of Soliziland

Postby The_Emperior5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

^what a filthy midgaan he is , he and his entire family will be in hellfire anyways ifkana wuxu aha midgaan dreys lo xiidhay akhrirana cadaabti naaro jaxiima ba sugaysa ifkana inta yar eeh nolol u hadhay wu cadaabnanaya :up:

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 pm

^what a filthy midgaan he is
These are the men attacking General Cali Samantar people.

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Suldaanka Guud beelaha reer Sheikh isxaaq Bani Axmed Bani Hashiim. In the republic of Soliziland

Postby The_Emperior5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 pm

^what a filthy midgaan he is
These are the men attacking General Cali Samantar people.

Thats his qabil if he was daarood they would call him a filthy daarood :lol: :lol: :lol:

fighter
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby fighter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Coeus,

He doesn't live in a luxury villa. He lives in a suburban home in Metro D.C with his daughter and her African-American husband. He sure is living comfortably though (apart from his diabetic problems).

Jaidi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jaidi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Coeus,

He doesn't live in a luxury villa. He lives in a suburban home in Metro D.C with his daughter and her African-American husband. He sure is living comfortably though (apart from his diabetic problems).
He does not live with his daughter he lives on his own although some of his family lives with him. He has plenty of kids who live everywhere.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.