Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My conclusions: knoofuratan's war

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Rightwing
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

My conclusions: knoofuratan's war

Postby Rightwing » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:24 am

I am talking from experience. When I was in Mugadishu as student, clan values have never played an important role in Banaadir. I am not talking the goverment but the people of Moadishu, Marka, Kismayo, jawhar, Bay and Bakool.
Today you may hear for example. hadaanu nahay besha Murursade yeeli mayno taa because talada somaliya anagay naga go'daa...blablaa yeeli mayno hal wasiir.

Where I originally hail from were known two things:

1- Problems are usually caused by following:

After painful long drought, when finally rainfall. Camel, goats, and sheep are herded. However the scarce resources often create conflict:
Fighting over water wells, which result injuries and death
Fighting over pasture lands, which result injuries and death
Fighting over camels, which result injuries and death

2- Solution:
The customary law obligation of MAG camel, horses and rifle payment to the grieved party, similar with YARAD as well to pay due to respect both the bride and her clan
In battle “BIR MA GEYDO” such as women, children, enemy captives, guests, religious leaders, war wounded, the elderly, and peace delegates all had immunity from attack. The heads of clans, such as the suldaan, Garaad, or Ugass, were not supposed to actively justified war, but to advice against it. Certain weapons and practices, such as mutilation and rape, were forbidden. While the raiding of camels and horses was tolerable.

Conclusion

I believe koonfurstan plagiarized only number 1. Had they plagiarized both( the cause and the solution) Today, they wouldn't have been gotten into such mess.

That's just my two cents
Le justicier
rw

Coldoon
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: My conclusions: knoofuratan's war

Postby Coldoon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:29 am

Rightwing,

Dhibadada ka taagan Konfuur iidinka iyo asxaabtina reer Galbeedka aaya qasiyee, meel kale ha noo jeeydin.
Last edited by Coldoon on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SultanOrder

Postby SultanOrder » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:44 am

People who grew up in Mogadishu from a younger age were never clan minded. For example, most kids in the diaspora are not clan minded and hardly know their clans let alone their sub sub sub sub clans. When rural somalis moved into the urban cities that is when it became something of note. A reer baadiye Marexaan would come in, and in his clan mind, the president of the country is no different than a clan chief, he would not shy away from asking something, nor would he shy away from boasting of his closeness to the president. I think that if we are to look at the rapid urbanization of metropolises in Somalia, there could possibly be a correlation to the tribalization of the urban communities (hypothesis). Kow

As for Somalis not having a system to mediate conflicts, the north and the south do not have different customs. It is just that the civil war in the south led to a stalemate between Darood v Hawiye, and moved past that to inter Hawiye fighting and inter Darood fighting. No dominance emerged in the conflict in the south, unlike the north where one faction was defeated and forced to come to some kind of political arrangement. In the North East, which is a smaller example of the North West, you can see that they have made the same cohesiveness and state institutions although on a smaller scale, showing that the Northwest is not a unique situation.

What can unite the south of Somalia is political ideology, or a strong state, tribal wars will be fruitless. I think that in the Northwest, soon you will see divergence on how the state should run Secular(in our own context) v Religious as there is developing a very conservative and very religious minority, not alshabab type but a more saudi, especially as westernization increases.

Rightwing
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rightwing » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:04 am

People who grew up in Mogadishu from a younger age were never clan minded. For example, most kids in the diaspora are not clan minded and hardly know their clans let alone their sub sub sub sub clans. When rural somalis moved into the urban cities that is when it became something of note. A reer baadiye Marexaan would come in, and in his clan mind, the president of the country is no different than a clan chief, he would not shy away from asking something, nor would he shy away from boasting of his closeness to the president. I think that if we are to look at the rapid urbanization of metropolises in Somalia, there could possibly be a correlation to the tribalization of the urban communities (hypothesis). Kow

As for Somalis not having a system to mediate conflicts, the north and the south do not have different customs. It is just that the civil war in the south led to a stalemate between Darood v Hawiye, and moved past that to inter Hawiye fighting and inter Darood fighting. No dominance emerged in the conflict in the south, unlike the north where one faction was defeated and forced to come to some kind of political arrangement. In the North East, which is a smaller example of the North West, you can see that they have made the same cohesiveness and state institutions although on a smaller scale, showing that the Northwest is not a unique situation.

What can unite the south of Somalia is political ideology, or a strong state, tribal wars will be fruitless. I think that in the Northwest, soon you will see divergence on how the state should run Secular(in our own context) v Religious as there is developing a very conservative and very religious minority, not alshabab type but a more saudi, especially as westernization increases.
Your view differ from the perspective only in one area. In Mogadishu today businessmen are decision makers while in our area businessmen influences are limit. We still rely traditional tools including your area.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.