Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

UN partially lifts arms embargo on somalia

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
sahal80
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

UN partially lifts arms embargo on somalia

Postby sahal80 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Do you guys recall my breaking news when I said a month ago "what is good this time is the UK itself campaingning for the somali government in the security council" 8-)

Some are claiming somalia not getting heavy weapons lol this includes tanks, helicopters, army. Vehicles and equipments. They lifted partially.
TOP NEWS
U.N. partially lifts arms embargo on Somalia for a year
Wed, Mar 06 12:30 PM EST

By Michelle Nichols

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The U.N. Security Council agreed on Wednesday to partially lift a decades-old arms embargo on Somalia for one year, allowing the government in Mogadishu to buy light weapons to strengthen its security forces to fight al Qaeda-linked Islamists.

The 15-member council unanimously adopted a British-drafted resolution that also renewed a 17,600-strong African Union peacekeeping force for a year and reconfigured the U.N. mission in the Horn of Africa country.

Somalia's government had asked for the arms embargo to be removed and the United States supported that, but other Security Council members were wary about completely lifting the embargo on a country that is already awash with weapons, diplomats said.

"What we have tried to do is draw a balance between those who wanted an unrestricted lifting of the arms embargo and those who felt it was premature to lift the arms embargo," Britain's U.N. Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant told reporters after the vote. "It is a good and strong compromise."

The Security Council imposed the embargo on Somalia in 1992 to cut the flow of weapons to feuding warlords, who a year earlier had ousted dictator Mohamed Siad Barre and plunged the country into civil war. Somalia held its first vote since 1991 last year to elect a president and prime minister.

"Yes there are major challenges, but we are now ... moving away from international trusteeship of the situation in Somalia towards supporting the government's efforts to address its own problems," Lyall Grant said.

The Security Council resolution would allow sales of such weapons as automatic assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades, but leaves in place a ban on surface-to-air missiles, large-caliber guns, howitzers, cannons and mortars as well as anti-tank guided weapons, mines and night vision weapon sights.

It also requires that the Somalia government or the country delivering assistance notify the Security Council "at least five days in advance of any deliveries of weapons and military equipment ... providing details of such deliveries and assistance and the specific place of delivery in Somalia."

"The progress achieved (in Somalia) does not justify so far the lifting of the arms embargo," Guatemala's U.N. Ambassador Gert Rosenthal told the council after the vote.

"We believe that the Security Council should have adopted a phased approach to prevent the possible repercussions of an abrupt suspension of the embargo which could subsequently compromise the stabilization efforts in Somalia."

ARMS TO EXTREMISTS

The Somali government believes lifting the embargo will help it strengthen its poorly equipped, ill-disciplined military, which is more a collection of rival militias than a cohesive fighting force loyal to a single president.

"The support is a vote of confidence for the government of Somalia given the improvement of the security situation in that country," Argentina's U.N. Ambassador Maria Cristina Perceval told the Security Council.

The AU peacekeeping force - made up of troops from Uganda, Burundi, Kenya and Ethiopia - is battling al Shabaab militants on several fronts in Somalia and has forced them to abandon significant territory in southern and central areas.

The militants, who affiliated themselves with al Qaeda in February last year, launched their campaign against the government in early 2007, seeking to impose sharia, or strict Islamic law, on the entire country.

The Security Council's Monitoring Group on Somalia and Eritrea, an independent panel that reports on compliance with U.N. sanctions, has warned that the Islamist militants in Somalia are receiving weapons from distribution networks linked to Yemen and Iran, diplomats have told Reuters.

A diplomat also said U.N. monitors had reported that some al Shabaab militants had infiltrated units of the Somali security forces.

"Clearly over the coming year if the suspension of the arms embargo is being abused, then we will take action accordingly in the Security Council," said Britain's Lyall Grant.

The resolution says that weapons and equipment "may not be resold to, transferred to, or made available for use by, any individual or entity not in the service of the security forces of the federal government of Somalia."

It asks the Somalia government to report regularly on the structure of the security forces and the infrastructure and procedures in place to ensure safe storage, maintenance and distribution of military equipment.

Human rights group Amnesty International called one the U.N. Security Council on Monday not to lift arms embargo on Somalia, describing the idea as premature and warning that it could "expose Somali civilians to even greater risk and worsen the humanitarian situation.

(Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Doina Chiacu and Christopher Wilson)

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: UN partially lifts arms embargo on somalia

Postby original dervish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 pm

My position has been vindicated....I have repeatedly said the arms embargo will only be "eased", for the Govt to import AKs and bullets.
Furthermore, the Govt will be under heavy surveillance. So if HAG are thinking about attacking Kismayo, or supporting proxies forget it. :D :som: :up:

The arms embargo cannot be lifted while AMISOM are occupying the country

sahal80
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby sahal80 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:00 pm

My position has been vindicated....I have repeatedly said the arms embargo will only be "eased", for the Govt to import AKs and bullets.
Furthermore, the Govt will be under heavy surveillance. So if HAG are thinking about attacking Kismayo, or supporting proxies forget it. :D :som: :up:

The arms embargo cannot be lifted while AMISOM are occupying the country
the uk draft says more we can have many army equipments

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby original dervish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:33 pm

No....I`m afraid not my friend. Your getting next to nothing, and quite right to. :D :som: :up:

sahal80
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby sahal80 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 pm

No....I`m afraid not my friend. Your getting next to nothing, and quite right to. :D :som: :up:
Ok sxb but believe me we can get kida of jib and lorry-military...
Understand the policy.
Arabs say britania tokhatit wa imrika tonafiz
The somali solution is in the hands of uk, with the passage of time they would sort out the whole somali files including the full lift of the arms embargo.

"The council has struck the right balance. It sends a positive signal to President Hassan Sheikh but it continues to give the council oversight of weapons flows into Somalia," Britain's UN ambassador Mark Lyall Grant said.

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby original dervish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 pm

there will be no change for at least 12 months.
By then J/Land will have its own local army. :D :som: :up:

Titanium
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Titanium » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 pm

there will be no change for at least 12 months.
By then J/Land will have its own local army. :D :som: :up:
I am sorry to rain on your parade but Jubbaland will not exist this time next year. I am not saying this because I am hating but because I am a realist. There are many obstacles left. Shabab still controls around 30-50% of "Jubbaland". In fact, one of the provinces (Middle Jubba) is 100% controlled by Shabab today. Shabab is very strong in "Jubbaland". This is their base in Somalia. This is where Al Shabab will see it's last battle.

Once Shabab is destroyed, the clans will be meeting together to discuss forming "Jubbaland". It's not happening now. A good chunk of "Jubbaland" isn't even in their hands. This will take many months and perhaps longer than a year. One thing is for certain: It won't be a walk in the park. Jubbaland will have over a dozen players involved. It will be a long, emotional and grueling process.

HAG BITCHES

:dj:

sahal80
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby sahal80 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:21 pm

:lol: jubaland is a joke.

One of the good things that was emphsised by the khawaja is disarming and cleaning the religious militias from the national forces.
the president has also emphisised this resposibility by saying they will be brought to account.
As i showed lifting the arms embargo partially was a political sign from the uk

Expect the other half next year

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby original dervish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:52 am

The heartland of shabaab is among the hawiye central regions.
J/Land will continue for sure.

The somali Govt was formed when they didn`t control more than a few blocks of Xamar.
Sahal...you were claiming the arms embargo was gonna be lifted, and nothing of the sort happened.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.