Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Koonfurians come in

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
samatar133
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Koonfurians come in

Postby samatar133 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:02 am

Do you guys know the current state of the federal government's revenues excluding foreign aid.
I mean how much money do they collect through taxation annually?

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Koonfurians come in

Postby BlackVelvet » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 am

Good question. I would have assumed that they only tax large businesses in Xamar right now, if that.

samatar133
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby samatar133 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:12 am

I think the bulk of their income comes from the port and the airport at the moment.
Do you think an income of 30 million dollars annually is bit too ambitious for them?

AbdiJohnson
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiJohnson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:13 am

I'm not from there but I recall reading somewhere that the port and airport is their cash cow. $2.5 mil monthly at port. Not sure airport. It may be the Govt of Somalia but they are only funding the capital expenses so its not as bad as it seems.

I am,

Abdi "City Budget Officer" Johnson

Typhoon
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Typhoon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:17 am

nigga we doing good don`t jinx us. ilahay sharkaga ha naga gabto

mogadishu port keliya ba laga hela $500 million a year and mighty kismaayo port is coming online and now somali business are voluntarily paying taxes
the Fiscal Prognosis of the somali government is good because their is a linear improvement

samatar why are somaliland people so preoccupied with south politics so much, I sense anxiety, despondency and bleakness in your peoples lately and its that feeling that makes you enquirer about southern somali financial state.

samatar why you somalilanders wish clamity upon the people of the south why ba uga naxdin wanaga koonfur because we can see the player hating intend behind your silly question.

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:23 am

Samatr I don't know, this thread is going to be educational for me as well :up:

samatar133
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby samatar133 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:29 am

Eaglehawk, there is no hostility on my side, contrary to that I felt sorry for you guys. The reason I asked those questions is to know whether Somalia can raise enough revenues to build its security forces so you can be independent of foreign governments humiliating you and meddling your own bloody internal affairs.

Typhoon
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Typhoon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:30 am

Last edited by Typhoon on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

samatar133
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby samatar133 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:35 am

So if the 2.5 million monthly income from the the port only is true that means the government can easily raise over 30 million yearly.
Do you guys know how do they spend that money?

Typhoon
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Typhoon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 am

Eaglehawk, there is no hostility on my side, contrary to that I felt sorry for you guys. The reason I asked those questions is to know whether Somalia can raise enough revenues to build its security forces so you can be independent of foreign governments humiliating you and meddling your own bloody internal affairs.
the absence of the great powers from the somali political scene has been the problem but now having recognition we can move away from NGO and regional politics to international politics and go to bilateral relations instead of UNPOS
we need more assistance not your characterization called interference

how benevolent of you samatar lakin, what you need to do is tell the amhaaro berbera port controllers to let you inspect the containers that they are bringing through your land without you taxing them.
aduunyada waxu ugu daran nin aan is ogeyn, saxib somaliland is more under occupations then somalia, the difference is, one is stealth and the other is UN mandated
amharadu waxay inay heystaan like the girls Charles Ramsey freed in ohio, ya oga guriga waxa ka socday.

we need more countries to come to somalia and we want the mandate to move from AU to UN and that why nicholas kay is here and that is the vision of mr david cameron
samatar why you down playing the rise of somalia from the ashes of the civil war and why you here with you’re your Somaliland usual paplayer hating talking points, uganda be xamar heesyata, kenya ba dhul rabta, we aint buying player...we are chilling smiling and seeing our state reemerge and our president chilling in the white house, how is your aqoonsi coming along

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 am

Who is Abdirasaq Fartaag? He uses a lot of numbers and "estimates" but there are no references.

Typhoon
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Typhoon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 am

the honorable mr Fartaag
Abidirazak Fartaag is the former Head of the Public Finance Management Unit, Office of the Prime Minister of
the Somali government. He published a number of open reports detailing stark gaps in Somali public financial
accounting. He is former consultant to the World Bank and currently Associate Researcher with Sahan
Research, a private think tank based in Nairobi, Kenya, covering peace and security issues in the Horn of Africa
http://somaliareport.com/index.php/post/2938

samatar133
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby samatar133 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 am

Good report, but the guy, fartaag, shot himself in the foot at the end when he accused the government of Qatar financing Hassan Sheikh's election. You don't have to really make this kind of accusation without concrete evidence if you need to be taken serious.
Last edited by samatar133 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

samatar133
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby samatar133 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:20 am

The exception however, is the current Minister of Finance and Planning,
Mohamud H. Suleiman who brought up the Mini budget (for the period
October 1st to December 31st 2012 and the Budget 2013) for debate in the
House for the first time and he also opened a website where the budget as well
as financial statements for the year ended 31st December 2012 would become
available to the public
Eaglehawk, do you know where I can find that website?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.