Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Somali female Poet?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Talo alle udaa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Greatest Somali female Poet?

Postby Talo alle udaa » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Some people are gifted with the ability to easily string words together that convey deep meanings. Roda Ibraahim is not only good at poetry, but I believe she just might be the single best female poet of our times:

metamorphosis
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Cali iyo haaruun, miyaa gabal isaaq ciilay? Reer Cali miyaa wada cuskaday, curadadii reerka?

Re: Greatest Somali female Poet?

Postby metamorphosis » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Shes extremely gifted mashallah.

guhad122
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby guhad122 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:22 pm

That video has a history on ONLF struggle because it was right-after the Derg collapse and ONLF was getting ready for elections. It was a peaceful time and if you listen carefully, she is talking about Ban-Balaayo where the focking Xawaadle criminals slaughtered thousands of fleeing Ogadens including both refugees and others who fled from Muqdisho. I hope one of those days Ina-Ileey would revenge for Ogaden people and bring all the ugly Xawaadles to justice. I am all for forgetting and forgiving and moving on but the killing of innocent refugees was cruel to say the least.

Roda is saying that we need peace in our land so that our citizens would not be forced to live in hostile environs like Hiiraan where the Xawaadle Xiimaay are known to kill the unarmed civilians. Remember the Ethiopian invasion of Muqdisho, Xawaadle raped and killed many innocent Habar-Gidir people fleeing from Muqdisho. Horta Xawaadluhu waa xoolo. :down:

Talo alle udaa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Talo alle udaa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 pm

My grandfather came close to being among those killed by the Xawaadle. He and another group chose a different route that day.

guhad122
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby guhad122 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 pm

That massacre should never be forgotten because fleeing refugee had nothing to do with civil wars. These refugees were actually armed at the beginning because there was a huge ONLF/WLSF presence in the refugee camps in Hiiraan. What the stupid Xawaadle did was to beg the refugees to transfer their weapons because they argued the Ethiopians would confiscate the weapons at the border in Feer-Feer. That was a reasonable request because the Ethiopians wouldn't have allowed all these returning Ogadens to be armed. Well, for our people it was mistake to trust Xawaadle, one of the most untrustworthy clans in Somalia. Nabsigu waa balaaye, Caydiid indirectly revenged for the OGs because he basically destroyed Xawaadle land especially Beled-Weyn. I heard some Xawaadle couldn't take the beating that they chose mass drownings. Fockers. Remember that this incident happened when the OGs were SPM and were still fighting to liberate the country from the Siyad Barre regime.

guhad122
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby guhad122 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:27 pm

Here is the portion that relates to the Ban-Balaayo
Ma hilmaamin taariiqda waanse wadayaaye
Dal ayaan wadaagnaa waxeey hadal isaartaanba
Waa qaxooti soo hurey waxeey nagu hujuumaanba
Hadal xumo waxaan qaatay oon dhagaha hoogaarshey
Ban balaayo halistiisi baan hibato ooyaayey
Hilibkii rageenaa al'aanaa haadku cunayaaye
Haweenkii biyaha raacey baan sii huqdiyayaayee
Ubadkii halkaa loogaga tagey waan heyaa waliye
Intaa kumaa ka tagayoo ka harey taariikhda

I am not sure if the place where the refugees were massacred is called Ban Balaayo but that is the name it is known. The video was recorded in 1993 in Dhagaxbuur and ONLF was getting ready for referendum. The poet wants the people to unite and forget all the minor clan divisions and politics and see the bigger picture. She is reminding them what happened to our people in Hiiraan. She eloquently mentions how the Somalis used our people. Remember that the entire Somali economy and budget depended on the aid aimed for the over 4 million Ogadenia refugees in Somalia. At one time in early 1980s Ethiopians even went to the UN to have the the refugees to come back to their homes, but Somalis argued that these people are in their country and wouldn't be allowed to go back.

Can anyone translate this into English? I am not good at translating Somali poems into English.

Dal ayaan wadaagnaa waxay hadal isaartaanba
Waa qaxooti soo huray waxay nagu hujuumaanba
This means in one hand they would say, oh we are one country, but then they would call you refugees.

Roda waa halyeey Walee...She dedicated her entire life for the cause :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

GeoSeven
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Out of my mind somewhere...always somewhere, never an exact location.

Postby GeoSeven » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:37 pm

That video has a history on ONLF struggle because it was right-after the Derg collapse and ONLF was getting ready for elections. It was a peaceful time and if you listen carefully, she is talking about Ban-Balaayo where the focking Xawaadle criminals slaughtered thousands of fleeing Ogadens including both refugees and others who fled from Muqdisho. I hope one of those days Ina-Ileey would revenge for Ogaden people and bring all the ugly Xawaadles to justice. I am all for forgetting and forgiving and moving on but the killing of innocent refugees was cruel to say the least.

Roda is saying that we need peace in our land so that our citizens would not be forced to live in hostile environs like Hiiraan where the Xawaadle Xiimaay are known to kill the unarmed civilians. Remember the Ethiopian invasion of Muqdisho, Xawaadle raped and killed many innocent Habar-Gidir people fleeing from Muqdisho. Horta Xawaadluhu waa xoolo. :down:
Sxb the way I heard it was different. From what heard, when the civil war started, the Xawadle who were busy chasing our Siad Barre soldiers in xamar and further south suddenly got threatened by the refugees who as it turns out were actually armed to the teeth. Then shit just hit the roof. I mean cmon....even as heartless as the Xawaadle are when it comes to fighting I dont think even they would feed thousands to the crocodiles in the river.

ina aadan
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby ina aadan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:32 am

Mansha Alaah Rooda ibraahin Guray, Aloow xafid.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.