Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Somali adults are Iliterate

Soomaalida waddankan ku dhaqan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods, uk mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
miss_sweets
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: MAY ALLAH (SWT) FORGIVE ME FOR MY SINS, I HOPE I NEVER STRAY AGAIN..INSHA'ALLAH AMIIN

Re: Most Somali adults are Iliterate

Postby miss_sweets » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:55 pm

how do u explain when i went to hargeisa there were a lot of men who spoke moderate words (strong accent and bad grammer) in english when i asked where did they learn this from they replied by saying they learned it from TV and radio

Now how the fock is it somalis living in WHITE speaking country cant speak even a little?
:lol: sis I ain't talking about "Hello, how are you, good day, my name is" etc etc, I'm talking PROPER English, pronunciations, grammar, etc etc....

Your talking about the older generations? How do you expect them to learn English as easily as a YOUNG person :? ... NOt possible love

Cisse Westlake
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cisse Westlake » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:00 pm

the older you are the harder it is to learn a new language.
also mothers are looking after the family and have hardly any time to learn

Oxy-
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Oxy- » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:08 pm

how u know they dont know.. alif ba iyo ta :?
Ive heard and met grown adult somali males and females who know very little about the qur'an, simply b/c they've never really bothered to learn. :down:

they came here to help us get a chance in life - they've lived life - its up to us to make a change
so with the knowlegde of both cultures - people will have a better chance of success -
YES DIIN IS IMPORTANT - but so is knowing who you are and where you're from
cooking aint nothing walaal - its a trait someone picks up if they come from a islamic background anyway - so its nothing to do with culture
You have a valid point, learning about duel cultures is always beneficial. Lakiin my point is why u excusing them for not speaking English at all? So by teaching their children about somalinimo that means they cant bother to pick up a pen?

Our beloved somalis have der mother tongue which dey teach us..Why do dey need to noe english read it 4 wa...speak it 4 wat...dats why dey brought u ere maate..fix up and translate...

Tru say both ma parents can read and write..but its not nessasary wallahi...

OUR MOTHER TONGUE... Is our Language :up: :up:

this has 2b the most stupidest comment by far!! Every 1 has a origin of mother tongue if you grew up with it. But somalis have been here since 1990... so in 18 years .....18 YEARS some still cant communicate in english :shock:

What do you mean why do they need to know english? wtf

Aint knowing the language means u can communicate with other people??
SO WHAT happens if a somali woman gets wrongly accused by police or some sort of situation happens where you have to talk back? what then?
.dats why dey brought u ere maate..fix up and translate...
95% of somalis living in the uk came here as refugees, somalis were fleeing persecution !! about thats were they brought u here kulah... naa it was the british government who invited them here & offered them access to free housing, education and healthcare !!

Qumanyoo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Qumanyoo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:17 pm

[quote]You have a valid point, learning about duel cultures is always beneficial. Lakiin my point is why u excusing them for not speaking English at all? So by teaching their children about somalinimo that means they cant bother to pick up a pen[/quote]

walaal im not excusing them - i do understand where youre coming from -
but imagine they wernt around?
wouldnt you see yourself more gaalo like? - dhaqankay kugu sii hijinaysaa - in a way it balances things out -

laakin yes being in this country for god knows how many years and you cant get someone to understand - thats a major problem -

but it is rather hard - they older someone is the harder they find learning

military-mind
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby military-mind » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:37 pm

if u meet 50 somalis who can speak hindi..wha u gonna think all somalis can speak hindi :? dont be a istuperad :up:

sO_sO_Qatar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby sO_sO_Qatar » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:39 pm

one of my bredrins mum has been doing ESOL for 4yrs same class, i strongly agree with you when you say they should learn atleast the basics. My mum was spelling a address out to my auntie ones and my auntie didn't even understand it she had to get her daughter to write it down for her :roll: My mums english is on point, hoyo used to be a english teacher in somalia styll dere r certain gurls i know da just chat shit infront of dere mum cuz they know she won't understand it.

I agree with oxy allow having a translator everywhere you go, be independant and learn English.

STOP!
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby STOP! » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 pm

NEWBOY IS ILITERATE....IF YOU KNW WHAT AM SAYIN!!!

Alwaysonthego

Postby Alwaysonthego » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:06 pm

-Oxy do keep in mind many of these elders where educated in somali/ arab English was only a very minor part perhaps of there education. Secondly many of them may have not had FREE EDUCATION back in their days, also take into consideration the trauma most of them went through during the war whilst seeking refuge for their family in a safer country. Then once they come here by the time their life is sorted and they are emotionally stable enough to PICK UP A PEN AND A BOOK. They have a whole heep of kids who do everything for them so many of them dont bother putting theirself through school by that age.

But I rate the elders who got their self an education or atleast can go about their business independently without the need for interpreters. Still R E S P E C T for all our elders there the backbone of us thats why we are standing here today

miss_sweets
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: MAY ALLAH (SWT) FORGIVE ME FOR MY SINS, I HOPE I NEVER STRAY AGAIN..INSHA'ALLAH AMIIN

Postby miss_sweets » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:14 pm

educated in somali/ arab English
On that note, hand on heart... I wish I could speak fluent arabic and Somali... :up:

I envy my parents, they speak ENGLISH, SOMALI AND ARABIC... and I'm limited to English and dodgy somali :lol: :down:

DisplacedDiraac
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Nobody said it'd be easy.. they just promised it'd be worth it...

Postby DisplacedDiraac » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:13 pm

how can u have respect 4 any person who has been living in a country for over a decade and wont bother to pick up a pen

Most Somali mothers are too busy looking after their young children, let alone have time to educate themself.

My hoyoo macaan can diss me in 5 languages :|

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.