Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Female Taxi Driver in Somalia.

Soomaalida waddankan ku dhaqan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods, uk mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Devils_Advkt
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

First Female Taxi Driver in Somalia.

Postby Devils_Advkt » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:23 pm

Funny story about this faqash woman on BBC website. it is none other than Somali singer Maryam Mursal .
;
;
she says she was " first female taxi driver in Somalia. " Laughing Laughing
;
"first woman singing Somali jazz"
;
"the first to drive a lorry" Laughing Laughing
;
;

anyways you can read the whole story about her on this link
;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4666121.stm

;
;
Performing at Live 8's Africa Calling concert in a traditional dress in the blue and white colours of her national flag, Somali singer Maryam Mursal is pleased that music is once again putting the spotlight on Africa.

Maryam drove a taxi to feed her five children

Her own story is a familiar one in Somalia.

In the early 1990s during the height of the civil war, Maryam - one of Somalia's most enduring stars - fled her country. For more than seven months she and her five children trekked through four countries, until she finally found refuge in the Danish Embassy in Djibouti.

This journey through the East African desert is chronicled in her song Qax (Refugee), and although it is based on her personal experience, it resonates with Somalis all over the world.

"Because so many Somalis are refugees, when they listen to that song they cry. They weep because we all have the same story."

But, before she became a refugee, Maryam lived a very different life.

From the age of 16 she shared a lifestyle with the rich and powerful of Mogadishu as a singer at the National Theatre. It was only after singing her song Ulimada that her life started crashing around her.

Status lost

Ulimada is ostensibly a love song but its hidden meaning - criticising the Somali government - was not lost on her audience.

I want to show Somalis that women can be anything they want, even taxi drivers

Maryam Mursal

Overnight she lost her job, her status, and her livelihood. Still, she does not regret speaking out against the regime that was in power at the time.

"We as artists are responsible if something wrong is taking place in our society. It's very important for us to speak up, even though we may have to do it with a double tongue. We have to speak out for our people."

One of the few assets she managed to salvage from her previous life was a car.

As a single mother, she quickly had to find an alternative source of income in order to feed her children. So she became a taxi driver. In fact she became the first female taxi driver in Somalia.

Unfinished song

"Everyone who got in my taxi used to ask me: 'Why did such a big star like you become a taxi driver?' They thought I must be a very bad, low class person because as we say in Somalia, 'Everyone wants to reach the top of the stairs in their career.' People wanted to know why I'd fallen all the way to the bottom."

I thank Bob Geldof for giving me the opportunity to use the power of my music for the good of Africa

Maryam Mursal

Taxi driving is not the first barrier that Ms Mursal has broken through.

"I was always the first woman. I was the first woman singing Somali jazz, I was the first star, and I was the first to drive a taxi! I was the first to drive a lorry, and now I'm the first woman from Somalia to have an international record.

"I want to show Somalis that women can be anything they want, even taxi drivers."

Last weekend, Maryam was at the Eden Project in the south-west of England to take part in Africa Calling, one of the Live 8 concerts which aimed at making poverty, especially in Africa, a thing of the past.

"I thank Bob Geldof and Peter Gabriel for organising Live 8 and giving me the opportunity to use the power of my music for the good of Africa."

She says she hopes to go back to Somalia, as soon as the political and security situation there has stabilised.

"I will be the first person to go back. At the moment my song Qax isn't finished yet. I'm still a refugee. I'm still travelling.

"I don't know where I'll be next year, or in 10 years. It's only when we come back to Somalia that the song will be finished
Last edited by Devils_Advkt on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FUBU#NIKE
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: First Female Taxi Driver in Somalia.

Postby FUBU#NIKE » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:25 pm

blud.shut.up.lik.hu.givs.a.fuk

SweeT-LuuL
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby SweeT-LuuL » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:27 pm

''Maryam drove a taxi to feed her five children''..

Wow the 'spotlight' has obviously got alot to do with her skin huh 4get africa.. nice teeth maryam Very Happy

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.