Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bariis iyo Basto!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Bariis iyo Basto!

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Hadhuud =Sorghum

Sorghum is one of the five top cereal crops in the world, along with wheat, oats, corn, and barley. It originates in Africa, having been cultivated in Egypt in antiquity, and the largest producer of sorghumsorghumsorghum in the modern era is still Africa, although the crop has spread to southern Asia and the Americas as well.Sorghum is an annual grass that is extremely drought tolerant, making it an excellent choice for arid and dry areas. Sorghum has special adaptations to weather extremes and is a very stable source of nutrition as a result.The plant is very high in fiber and iron, with a fairly high protein level as well. This makes it well suited to its use as a staple starch in much of the developing world.

Aduki beans= Digir

Adukis are one of the highest protein and lowest fat varieties of bean. They contain high levels of potassium and fiber, as well as B vitamins such as thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin, and minerals such as iron, zinc, and manganese.

Sareen=Barley

A source of B vitamins, vitamin E, and folic acid, barley seeds are also ground into flour for baking or processed for use as a cereal.Studies have shown that individuals with barley in their diet experienced reductions in their total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL - the bad cholesterol), or triglyceride levels. Additionally, barley may assist in weight loss because it acts as an appetite suppressant making people feel like they have eaten more than they really have. Barley seeds may also protect against colon cancer.

When is the last time we ate any of these grains/beans?

1_londoner
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby 1_londoner » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Im not a big fan of digr iyo sareen. And I only eat haduudh with caano dhanaan (natrual yogurt)...

edleh
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby edleh » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:13 pm

What else can you offer other than that? bariis & baasto seem to be ingrained in lafeheena
and it's hard to left them when inviting some esp. people.

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:14 pm

1 londoner wallahi for our health and wellbeing..we HAVE to go back to our authentic wholesome diet. Healthy foods like that isn't appealing for most people who have grown up with junk..i myself find it is an acquired taste,..waan isku khasbaa..this Ramadan..i plan to eat only that inshaAllah...without that..i will NOT function i know.

AhlulbaytSoldier
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AhlulbaytSoldier » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Somali people should try food of other cultures.
This basto and bariis addiction is killing us. Lack of food fantasy :down:

American-Suufi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby American-Suufi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:19 pm

somali baris and pasta r meals for the poor.

R.I.P Kiyan
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby R.I.P Kiyan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:28 pm

[quote="American-Suufi"]somali baris and pasta r meals for the poor.[/quote]
yeah for stinky somalian nigger slaves

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:30 pm

leave it to fatty Nabs to talk about food. :roll:

Daanyeer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Daanyeer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Raga hadi aad bariis iyo hilib siin waydo khalaas way ku dhamaatey Nabeela.

Ukhtii u are RIGHT...u MUST have a a SMART mother!!!!

Macaaney_1991
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Macaaney_1991 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:05 pm

somali food is very unhealthy

shidow1
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby shidow1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:17 pm

I like federation....composed of Basta....Baris....Xilib....Tigir....on a huge plate....followed by a soup.....and then a banana and also a glas...of lemonade.....and later....a fine cup of somali tea....and then take a walk...wow :lol: :up: :clap:

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:41 pm

I dont have the same problem as you guys.

My family can get down and a new dish everyday 8-)

why you think I got calool yar oo kuusan?

Highland
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Highland » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:01 pm

Specially made Basmati rice with roasted goat meat, served with dates or banana, and some variety of fruits are the best meal any person can have.

Iranians are like us. Rice and meet is their main diet.

I agree with Nabeel. We need to diversify our food intake.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Im eating leftover baasto

thats my dinner :|

sexy-kitten
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: You'll never catch me, might as well just watch me.

Postby sexy-kitten » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Bariis/Baasto is good for inviting someone over for lunch. :mrgreen: If they don't want lunch... Get them shaah, cappuccino, coffee, cookies, cake, Ice cream cake... sweets and cold/hot beverages I guess lol.
thats why im told to go to the food lion and get that macmacaan stuff when skinnies come
It's sweet and simple! Gets the conversation going!

I hardly invite my friends over for "lunch". In fact, we cook together sometimes(no homo). I don't like the whole "be my guest" thing when it comes to having my friends at my house. Just cuz you're my "guest" doesn't mean you can't walk up to the fridge and grab a pop or water, what are you? Handicapped? When family or my mom's friends come to visit, it's a different story! LOL...

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.