Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ceelwaaq

Dadka ku dhaqan ama ka imaaday gobolkan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
snoop12
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Ceelwaaq

Postby snoop12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:02 pm

this was last year during the drought.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 ... ds-drought

is that how swahili sounds like :o :shock:

BaasAbuur
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Appealing for the release of Volkert van der Graaf.

Re: Ceelwaaq

Postby BaasAbuur » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:20 pm

I am surprised they speak Swahili in Ceel Qaaloow. :o

gedo_gurl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gedo_gurl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:11 pm

That wasnt Swahili...at first I thought it might be Arabic...but on second thoughts its most likely the NFD 'Garre' peoples language.

snoop12
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby snoop12 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 pm

i see, so Garre are not Somali but mainly Muslim ?

gedo_gurl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gedo_gurl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:15 pm

They are related to Somalis, but they deny it, they consider themselves Garre-Muslim- Kenyan.

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

They are related to Somalis, but they deny it, they consider themselves Garre-Muslim- Kenyan.

They're confused, the ones I know consider themselves somali, the rest say they're either Oromo or Their own thing.

gedo_gurl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gedo_gurl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 am

They're confused, the ones I know consider themselves somali, the rest say they're either Oromo or Their own thing.
Good point. Do you know which language group af Garre comes under? is it another Somali dialect? Or is it merely another cushitic language?

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:46 pm

It's very close to afaan oromo, infact they can understand one another.

gedo_gurl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gedo_gurl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:56 pm

No way! Thats so cool! The ones I met, kept telling me they were 'Garre Weyne' and when I was like 'wtf' and stupidly tried slotting them into a category, they would understandably get upset and just say 'well i guess im a kenyan because of my ID card' lol My professor also kept telling me about a group of Oromo who live the around Lamu Archipelago, but I kept thinking he was pronouncing some next groups name wrong. Anywhos Advo, cheers for the 'mation. :up:

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:11 am

Yhhh the younger cats get quite upset if u call them Oromo but I believe they're a branch of somalis who lived with oromos for a long time and adopted their form of the language, they live heavily in NFD kenya and usually clash with muraale and other small clans under the protection of Mareexaan. Remember the 2005 war they launched on gedo and ended up losing bad?

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Ceelwaaq, home to My Reer Ayeeyo :up:

Celidheere kingdom from Ceelwaaq to Beled Xaawo! :clap:

Mad May
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Mad May » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:20 pm

What a desolate place. That's where all of my previous perceptions about what it is to be a Somali living in the Horn of Africa changed. It is the place that matured me politically.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:22 pm

I went to Africa sxb and I may not have crossed the border but I sure went close to it and saw what the lands we are from would look like and what feel they might have and I came back appreciating any peace and security people can have in such remote backward lands. I mean when I look back at times I might have bombard this forum with sick topics like "Garre has been annihilated" or "hebel has been crushed" I get more disgusted than anything else that could possibly make me feel sick and disgusted. Isn't the Garre man in the same predicament as the Marehan man, made by his environment and looking out for the same security and amni and protection the Marehan is seeking?

snoop12
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby snoop12 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 am

Voltage didnt you feel like you wanted to help ? i mean just watching that video made me want to help these people more and also Somalis in general.

and as i get more hang of time management i will eventually come to a position where i can actually help.

i dont see where politics come in here? i think they are the last people to worry about politics, especially when it does not effect them remotely. there is a problem but i believe its much more to do with social uncertainty or hostility in their region, obviously this is fuelled by the extreme poverty caused by the droughts.

qabiil/qabyaalad is a phase we all have to go through, hopefully without getting stuck in it. but at the end of the day it really all comes down to what we do and not so much what we might have said/wrote.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.