Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thousands of Somali Youth in Minnesota prisons

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
NewHargeisaGirl
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Thousands of Somali Youth in Minnesota prisons

Postby NewHargeisaGirl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Some of the kids in Minnesota Prisons are gangs, some of them did murder, drugs, robbery. there are two crimes Somali kids commit most, and that is robbery and sexual assualt.

I am not gonna lie, I am terrified of them :(

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:46 pm

:roll: Aint nothing wrong with a big bang wedding. Its hot, life is too short. Patriot why r u hating? U cant afford a wedding for your mama? :lol:

The_Patriot
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The_Patriot » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:49 pm

:roll: Aint nothing wrong with a big bang wedding. Its hot, life is too short. Patriot why r u hating? U cant afford a wedding for your mama? :lol:
Basra the thing is a wedding of £15k then after the occassion they have no where to go to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its not like they furnished a house :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nolol cusub
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Nolol cusub » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Useful link to Minnesota Department of Correction's stats. http://www.corr.state.mn.us/aboutdoc/stats/Default.htm

The most reasonable way to figure out the number of Somali inmates in MN is looking up the Minnesota inmate population by religion.

01-01-2010 stats: check out the first pdf where it says Adult Inmate Profile

RELIGION:

Muslim 369 3.8%

A figure of 300-320 makes more sense unless Somali prisoners claim other religions which I seriously doubt it.

Lets be more optimistic about the future. There are a lot of success stories among the community. :som:

IRONm@N
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby IRONm@N » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Photo # 1 Looks like a dhulbahantey or ogaden. There is an element of doqooniimo on his face. :clap:

Photo # 2 Looks like a sad, melancholly proned majeerten or marehaan. Weed addict. :clap:

Photo # 3 Definitely habar gidir obese hoot rat. :lol:

photo # 4 Huh? :o

Photo # 5 Definitely a reer kismayo mj hoot rat

Photo # 6 Oh hell no-- he gotta to be Isaaq. Fcuking hot. A real man of all above. :oops: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Photo 7 , 8 and 9 who freaking cares. They look sad. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WTF! lool, so you could tell their tribe by their pictures? how sick do you have to be?
good stuff :lol:

Air Canada
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Air Canada » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:00 am

Of course this Kashmiri idiot was way off the mark with his outrageous 10,000 figure. I was laughing at his stupidity when i saw the 10,000 number. If that many people were in prison then it would mean nearly half of the population there are in jail. I don't even think there are that many prisoners in most of the states in America.

Mad Mac once said if Somalis say 200 then it is 2 and he is right about that. You see all the time people like Paidmonkey and most of the Ilkoyar kids here telling you how the tiny tuulo they came from has a population of close to one million people when in reality there are maybe not more than 20 huts.

And i wonder what will happen to these skinny fools with long hair once they are in prison. To someone who is serving life in prison who has no hope of ever f-king a woman, i swear these soft ass micky mouse gangster wannabes will seem to him like the sexiest woman alive. They are going to feast on their skinny butts.

Nolol cusub
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Nolol cusub » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:29 am

Udun could be a concerned citizen.

The figures are somewhat consistent for the past five years, between 280-320.

military-mind
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby military-mind » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:00 am

I have heard horror stories in England with respect to the Somali Youth in the prisons and the devastating abuse that is taking place.
stop waffling mate

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 am

Ok many are in denial including the Air Qaniis boy who is busy who has his loyalties with his common-law FUFUs generals in Mogadishu and could not care less what is happening to those children in the prison system. Folks, thousands are in the prison systems and the ones shown are just hardcore criminals. I have talken to several people who run community orgs in Minnesota and they all confirmed the thousands figure. The City Police Chief and some Muslim orgsanizations have voiced their concerns on the Somali Youth who are lingering in the Minnesota prisons.

The biggest problem is no one is making an effort to defend these kids when their cases are in the courts and not many Somali parents follow up their kids when they are sent o the prison.

I have started this topic to call all of your attention on this issue and discuss what we can do about it. I think we need to get out of the defensive mode and really face the hard facts that we are in today in the west where we spend all of our energies talking about Somalia and at the same time neglected our youth in the west. I personally propose that we should do several things:

1. All Somalis should contribute to the defense of a child whose case is in the court system. This is the best way to prevent that child's case from proceeding into the prison.

2. There should be a way where all Somalis who are willing to help can contact that family and provide that help.

3. All Somali families in the west should know how they can follow up their child when they are in the prison and what the rights of these prisons are. There are many things that we are not aware of and an effort should be made where we understand what are the rights of the prisoner, how is he/she doing in the prison, and what can be done for that child in the prisoner in the event that he/she is having major issues in the area that he/she is staying.

4. Somali families should send their kids back to Somalia as soon as that they discover that their kid is getting involved with the gangs. Many children who were sent back home have reformed themselves and actually came back with good manners. Peer pressure is thee biggest problem for Somali Youth in the west and one way of resolving it is send them back to Somalia where they can grow up with their fellow country men and women and came back being growns up and obeying their parents' guidance.
Last edited by udun on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 am

I have heard horror stories in England with respect to the Somali Youth in the prisons and the devastating abuse that is taking place.
stop waffling mate
Universal TV was even showing it in the middle of 2008. Am I making that up? Contact them and ask them about it.

Denial, denial, denial, is all we Somalis can. Keep being in denial!

abduljrus
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby abduljrus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:48 am

1000s, 10,000s .... :clap:

There are Somali children in county jails and prisons but i would even argue that the 1000s number is an exaggeration let alone the 10,000s number. Don't get me wrong, we have wicked kidz, but only a small minority are institutionalized.

IRONm@N
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby IRONm@N » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:13 pm

There is a lot we could do.

First the city needs to hire more Somali police in the county jail, and city police (now we only have three well known guys)

We also need to have Somali lawyers that know the crimminal justices laws of America and Minnesota in particular. they need to open consulting offices near the jail and in Somali malls to advice them about legal issues.

They need to let the sheikhs or Imams to visit these guys and advice them (I remember there was a sheikh that was doing this in Minneapolis, and he was encouraging others to visit)

We should make a non-profit organization that is a clearing house for info about crimminal justice system and Somalis.

-so in summary, more Somali lawyers, more Somali police officers, access to jails by sheikhs or Imams, common crimminal laws and punishments translated into Somali, etc.

But remember we don't want to be soft on crime, so if a Somali commits murder or robbery, than he deserves to be in jail, its up to his parents and relatives to visit him or get him a lawyer, but we should never try to defend someone who committed a gross felony.

I"m advocating for those poor ppl arrested on
domestic voilence (because he slap his wife),
sexual assualt,
khat,
traffic voilations, accidental killing (like car accident)
and those arrested for alleged terrorism or immigration violations.

these are poor guys, specially, those arrested for immigrations purposes are filled in California and Arizona prisoners, and they have no rights what so ever, they are told to work all day, and don't get paid, and they don't get a lawyer, they represent themselves.

but if you talking about getting a lawyer and defending, like those two stupid guys, that killed three Somali guys in a Halal store, just because of robbery, I don't care if they rot in jail for ever.

Niya
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: At the end of the tunnel, waiting for the light to come on.

Postby Niya » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:21 pm

............... Tell me one Somali org that is genuine and its leaders are actually there to serve the community they claimed to be serving. Just name me one.
I am not familiar with the community organisationsthere. Just know that there are many of them.

Maybe someone should approach Lawyers for pro-bono help. Their families and maybe the local mosque volunteer can pursue following on up one at the time. Law students and paralegals should look into this a case studies.

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:28 pm

1000s, 10,000s .... :clap:

There are Somali children in county jails and prisons but i would even argue that the 1000s number is an exaggeration let alone the 10,000s number. Don't get me wrong, we have wicked kidz, but only a small minority are institutionalized.
Brother abduljrus, we agreed that there is a problem and we only differ about the number of those inztitutionalized. Remember, I live in Ohio and I am only conveying you what I have heard from different sources in Minnesota. I think we need to accept the fact that this is a crisis that we should deal with and just refuting the number is not going to help. In my view, this is a major issue in the Somali community that is not going away and we should focus on it.
Last edited by udun on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 pm

There is a lot we could do.

First the city needs to hire more Somali police in the county jail, and city police (now we only have three well known guys)

We also need to have Somali lawyers that know the crimminal justices laws of America and Minnesota in particular. they need to open consulting offices near the jail and in Somali malls to advice them about legal issues.

They need to let the sheikhs or Imams to visit these guys and advice them (I remember there was a sheikh that was doing this in Minneapolis, and he was encouraging others to visit)

We should make a non-profit organization that is a clearing house for info about crimminal justice system and Somalis.

-so in summary, more Somali lawyers, more Somali police officers, access to jails by sheikhs or Imams, common crimminal laws and punishments translated into Somali, etc.

But remember we don't want to be soft on crime, so if a Somali commits murder or robbery, than he deserves to be in jail, its up to his parents and relatives to visit him or get him a lawyer, but we should never try to defend someone who committed a gross felony.

I"m advocating for those poor ppl arrested on
domestic voilence (because he slap his wife),
sexual assualt,
khat,
traffic voilations, accidental killing (like car accident)
and those arrested for alleged terrorism or immigration violations.

these are poor guys, specially, those arrested for immigrations purposes are filled in California and Arizona prisoners, and they have no rights what so ever, they are told to work all day, and don't get paid, and they don't get a lawyer, they represent themselves.

but if you talking about getting a lawyer and defending, like those two stupid guys, that killed three Somali guys in a Halal store, just because of robbery, I don't care if they rot in jail for ever.
You said it all IRONm@N :up:. The next thing is Somali orgs and community as a whole should take your advice and really get down to it. We should not be silent about this issue but continue discussing it in all Somali forums and the fellow Somali Minnesotans should really deal with it.

P.S. I am not advocating for hardcore criminals. I am talking about young men and women who are receiving hefty sentencing without proper defense in the courts and finding themselves in the prisons without any one following up how they are doing. Even parents are not following up.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.