Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Population of Somaliland + Somalia

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
juzme123
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Population of Somaliland + Somalia

Postby juzme123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:05 am

So I was thinking, if the population fo Somaliland and Somalia is estimated at 10mil, of which 3.5.m live in Somaliland (35%), 2m live in Puntland (20%) and an estimated 2m live in/belong to mogadishu (20%), this leaves 2.5m for the remaining regions.

So my question is are the remaining regions sparsely populated or is the total population of 10mil an underestimation. So as to give an indication of the likely populations of those other regions, what are the biggest cities in the remaining regions of Southern Mudug, Galguduud, Hiiraan, Bay, Bakool, Shabeelada dhexe & hoose, Gedo and Jubbade dhexe & hoose. Is the total population of these regions 2.5 mil ?

For those of you who are going to argue over the population of Mogadishu, we all know that when peace returns to that city, its original inhabitants + more will come flocking so don't worry about the current population or the hundreds of thousands of displaced reer mogadishu in afgooye corridor.

The population of Puntland may be an over-estimate ?

Though the overall population estimate of Somaliland + Somalia has been steadily increased over the years, the population estimate of Somaliland, at 3.5m, has been at that figure for many years :?

RovingMadness
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Population of Somaliland + Somalia

Postby RovingMadness » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 am

Less than 20% of Somalia's population leaves North of Galgacayo. Don't mind the weird statistics thrown around by SNET teenagers :up:

Xamud.

Postby Xamud. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:23 am

Jumze if the population of Somaliland is 3.5 million then there`s no way the population of South Mudug/Galgaduud,Hiraan,Jubboyinka,Bay,Bakool,Shabellada Hoose, and Gedo is anything less than that. The south is very densely populated, I don`t think Somaliland is more populated than all these regions combined. I mean in Puntland you have about 5-6 major towns with a decent population, and in Somaliland you have about the same number of decent populated cities, give or take.

I don`t think the overall population of Somalia+Somaliland is 10 million, I would say it`s more than that.

Xamud.

Postby Xamud. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 am

Less than 20% of Somalia's population leaves North of Galgacayo. Don't mind the weird statistics thrown around by SNET teenagers :up:

:lol: :lol: :lol: 40% of the Somali population live north of Gaalkacyo.

RovingMadness
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RovingMadness » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:28 am

The only major settlements North of Galgacayo are Hargaisa and Bosaaso; and there is no way they constitute 40% of the Somali population.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:36 am

I actually support Roving. I would say about 20% is about right.

Xamud.

Postby Xamud. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 am

You guys are off your head, so where does the remaining 80% live? in Mogadishu,Beledweyn,Baydhabo and Kismayo?

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:43 am

And the gazillion towns in between between the two rivers. If you travel in the north, you will go ages before another settlement but in the south towns ever couple minutes. Compare the difference between Montana and say New Jersey.

RovingMadness
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RovingMadness » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:46 am

You guys are off your head, so where does the remaining 80% live? in Mogadishu,Beledweyn,Baydhabo and Kismayo?
Marka, Brava, Jowhar, Balcad, Afgoi, not to mention the dozens of medium sized settlements that are spread out from Galgacayo till the Kenyan borders. A quick peruse on Google Earth will show that even the smallest regions in the South as having bigger population density than the much touted and advertised places of Puntland and Somaliland. Seriously, even 20% is quite generous. No way Isaaq and Majerteen are 40% of the Somali population :lol:

juzme123
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby juzme123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:49 am

Jumze if the population of Somaliland is 3.5 million then there`s no way the population of South Mudug/Galgaduud,Hiraan,Jubboyinka,Bay,Bakool,Shabellada Hoose, and Gedo is anything less than that. The south is very densely populated, I don`t think Somaliland is more populated than all these regions combined. I mean in Puntland you have about 5-6 major towns with a decent population, and in Somaliland you have about the same number of decent populated cities, give or take.

I don`t think the overall population of Somalia+Somaliland is 10 million, I would say it`s more than that.
I have consideered the available population estimates and it doesn't add up. The only logical conclusion would be that the total population of 10mil is underestimated.

The Puntland population is not 3.5m and Somaliland is more populated than Puntland. Somaliland = Boorama + Gabiley, Hargeisa, Berbera, Oodweyne, Burco, Erigavo, Las Anod. Puntland = Boosaaso, Garowe, North-Galkacyo & Qardho (and Hargeisa alone is many times larger than all these combined). :|

Your assertion that South Somalia is far more desely populated is not neccesarily true. If you consider that we have already accounted for Mogadishu's populations, Hargeisa is the second largest city and no other city comes even close to Hargeisa. Hargeisa is larger than Boosaaso, Galkacayo, Garowe, Kismaayo, Beledweyne & others put together, let aloneother cities in Somaliland + Puntland and the nomadic population. If you look at the large cities in the north v.s. the cities in the south, there are a similar number with Mogadishu and Hargeisa being the corrosponding outliers respectively.

Though the population of the south (less Mogadishu) is likely to exceed 2.5m and the overall population 10m, perhaps some of the southern regions are sparsely populated ? That is why I asked what are the biggest cities in the remaining regions of Southern Mudug, Galguduud, Hiiraan, Bay, Bakool, Shabeelada dhexe & hoose, Gedo and Jubbade dhexe & hoose. There has been constant war in the south that has killed many people for twenty years as well as the fact that a lot of the southern most populations have fled to Kenya.

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:53 am

so what is a ball park figure 15 million total?

remember no census was done since 1975..

Somalilands projected growth corresponds accurately to British estimates in 1955 and the 1975 census..
which leaves a figure approximatley 3.5 million.

unless the southern population was severely under counted and the huge loss of life in the 1992-93 famine were also exaggerated
i do not think the southern population could be any more than 8 million.. by southern = somalia - somaliland.

1960 somaliland was 750,000 while somalia was 1500,000, with another 100,0000 in Ogaden and 150,000-200,000 in NFD.
The 1975 government sponsered census more or less confirmed the 1960 estimates..

Xamud.

Postby Xamud. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:56 am

Marka, Brava, Jowhar, Balcad, Afgoi, not to mention the dozens of medium sized settlements that are spread out from Galgacayo till the Kenyan borders. A quick peruse on Google Earth will show that even the smallest regions in the South as having bigger population density than the much touted and advertised places of Puntland and Somaliland. Seriously, even 20% is quite generous. No way Isaaq and Majerteen are 40% of the Somali population :lol:

Why inject tribe into this? we are talking about the population of Somalis, not about the population of tribes :down:

Jowhar is bigger than I thought, I was suprised. but Balcad is nothing out of the ordinary to be honest, the same can be said about Barawe.

These are the big towns in the south

Baydhabo
Beledweyn
Kismayo

Am not gonna argue about the fact that most of the Somali population live in the south, but 20% is not right.

ZubeirAwal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: No one feels safe from hypocrisy except the hypocrite.

Postby ZubeirAwal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:56 am

Hargeisa population

Population
- Total 1,300,000
- Density 15/km2 (38.8/sq mi)

Burao Population

-Total 400,000

Borama Population;

Berbera Population:

Population
- Total 200,000
- Density 12.9/sq mi (5/km2)

Erigavo Population:

Population (2007)
- City 180,000
- Metro 150,000

Las anod Population:

-Total 250,000

Maydh Population:

-Total 30,000

Buhoodle Population:

-Total Population
- Total 150,000

You do the math.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:57 am

This is one of those things even you guys know is not worth the debate. :lol:

juzme123
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby juzme123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:57 am

Considering that Isaaq is the majority in Somaliland, the, in this case objective and unbiased, CIA estimates that Isaaq represents 22% of the 10mil. That is without the other populations of Somaliland i.e. Gudabiirsi, Dhulbhante, Wasangeli, refugees from the south, Gabooye & Fiqishini as well as others. If we add up the Dir (gudabiirsi & Ciise) and Isaaq, as categorised by CIA map, they alone represent 29% of the total population without adding the Dhulbahante, Warsangeli, Refugees, Gabooye, Fiqishini, others as well as all the population of Puntland. :|

This should give an indication that perhaps some people are underestimating the population of the "north".

Last edited by juzme123 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.