Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shire Jama Script (Somali written language)

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
XimanJaale
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Shire Jama Script (Somali written language)

Postby XimanJaale » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:08 pm

I always wondered why Shire Jama Ahmed created letter H as X in his script invention of the Somali written language? That bit I always wondered.

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Ruux bukaanka ku nacay, adoo bahan katagay....Ala barasho, barasho wacanaa!

Re: Shire Jama Script (Somali written language)

Postby greenday » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:09 pm

:? :?

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:16 pm

They are different. We have both HA and Xa.

HA

Baahi
Hambalyo
Shamhaad

XA

Xalay
Xamar
Maxaa

Somali doesn't have the Latin "X" and Latin Script doesn't have the Afro-Asiatic "Xa" so Shire used the Latin letter "X" for our "Xa" sound. It doesn't represent H, we have H as well.

In Arabic:

Somali HA letter equals = هه

Somali XA letter equals = ح

XimanJaale
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby XimanJaale » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Volt, thanks. Now I get it, so letter X itself has no use in Somali language just like letter P. But Shire used letter X for the reason you explained. Also did Shire write any grammar books? If yes could you tell me the name of the book.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:15 pm

He wrote one in 1976
Naxwaha Af Soomaaliga (The Somali language grammar) by Shire Jama Ahmed 1976

http://www.redsea-online.com/modules.ph ... nt&sid=255
Also, here is a copy of his literary magazine Iftiinka Aqoonta, you can buy copies http://www.somali-books.com/Bookdetails.php?id=18#

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Unrelated question.

Voltage & Ximan, is this man the father of Cabdi Shire Jaamac Jooqle, the singer?

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:15 am

No, he is not. This man is Shire Jaamac Axmed who devised the Somali modified Latin Script.

Jooqle's father is Shire Jaamac Ciyaar-Jecel another famous literarian who was a composer.

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:30 am

There were a number of Latin scripts that were in use before Shire. Hirsi Magan Ciisse used H with a / through it for the plosive H that we now write X. Of course, the X is much easier. Both men taught at Columbia.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:54 am

Grant, we are talking about the officially drafted modified version. It belongs to Shire Jama of course not that there weren't other versions. I had no idea him and Xirsi Magan Ciise (Ayan Xirsi's father) both taught at Columbia. Did they teach linguistics?

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:09 am

I am not sure what their official fields of study were. Hirsi developed the afSomali program for the Peace Corps project, and Shire backed him up. I could be wrong, but I have always felt that Shire got the credit because Hirsi was in the opposition to Siad Barre.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:18 am

Unfortunately for you, BW Andrzejewski's (main non-Somali linguist who had a hand in Somali literature before and post-colonialism) book published in the 60's gives credit to Shire Jama Ahmed as the brains behind the Latin-modified Somali script during the time it was first in competition as a national script in 1962. I can photocopy the book on Monday to this topic.

You're right, you are wrong.
Last edited by Voltage on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:32 am

Hoosh would be the one to believe, although the 1962 date seems strange, given that the PC material, used by both in 1966, used the H with the / through it. My feeling at that time was that the scripts were still pretty fluid. Would love to see a copy of the book. What year in the Sixties?

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:39 am

I would have to check the book. It is not a book per se, but I believe a manuscript by Andrejewski in the archived section of the graduate library in my alumnus. I'll make sure to photocopy for you and get the citation.

They called BW Xoosh?

Also, you were young naive American boy set in Somalia at a time when it was considered the most corrupt with a farce of a democracy and men were going around saying I am 35 with 35 million shillings to my name. Hirsi Magan was Osman Mahmoud/Majerten when the president was an Osman Mahmoud/Majerten and much of the government was open to corruption from that corner. Maybe you should question why he would be in charge of the Af-Somali program of the Peace Corps when men such as Shire Jama who were publishing the first Somali magazine and had put up their script as a candidate to national script in 1962 and Muuse Galaal who headed the committee to choose the script and the first Somali to be trained in phonetics were not? Did you ever think the nepotism might have been occurring when you were interacting with those intimately put in charge of you?

From 1960's writings on the Somali script development to recent from even anti-regime writers such as Diiriye, Shire Jama is prominently mentioned where most of the passing reference I had read on Hersi Magan and Somali script development has been on this board from you, a former protege of his.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:41 am

Hoosh would be the one to believe, although the 1962 date seems strange, given that the PC material, used by both in 1966, used the H with the / through it. My feeling at that time was that the scripts were still pretty fluid. Would love to see a copy of the book. What year in the Sixties?
Maybe the man entrusted with the task was pushing forward his own version. Historical legacy. ;) Here is the same magazine Shire was publishing during that same time with the "X" and not the H with the /

You were a youthful doe eyed American unequipped to read between the lines of corruption and the game of influence played by the natives you were dumped in. ;)

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:49 am

Did you ever think the nepotism might have been occurring when you were interacting with those intimately put in charge?
You just made Grant's point for him :mrgreen: or should I say ;)

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.