Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Experiencing Financial Abuse - H E L P!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
MissFiora
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Experiencing Financial Abuse - H E L P!

Postby MissFiora » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:28 pm

I am a single Somali female making her own money. I have financial goals, I set these goals so that I can one day start a viable venture, God willing. But get this my parents are my biggest obstacle. I am forever shelling out money like i'm the World Bank, now now before you condemn me to hell and label me caasi hear me out.

I don't mind taking care of my parents or my immediate family what I can't understand is this lets " support a whole village back home" business that my parents are on. "Heblow naagtisaa baa umushaay, heblaayo iskool uniform bay u bahantahay". My mother is under the impression that i'm single and as a result I don't have better things to do with my money. I can never say no because i'll feel guilty and hate myself. I have one other friend going through the same issue, however she decided to lie about her salary and this how she manages to save money. I just feel like its hindering my progression as a young adult making her way in the world.

Anyone experiencing a similar issue ? How do you cope? I'm I being selfish for feeling this way? Talk to meee.

DANGIRL
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Experiencing Financial Abuse - H E L P!

Postby DANGIRL » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Get married.

SecretAgent
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SecretAgent » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 am

Tell them to get lost,and never tell them how much you earn nobody should know.

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:45 am

Nah you're not selfish, your correct, but u have two options
lie to your parents say rent is up yadda yadda, so u can save money

or tell the truth saying u dont wanna give money to people who dont work, then maybe mention u wanna save up for a business back home etc tho they might hate u

Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Bella18 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 am

I do understand where you are coming from sis, I was having the same issue few years back.
It was hard to tell my parents but it was such a relief to get it off my chest, honesty is the best policy. Just be upfront about your feelings and do tell them about your plans.

I don't understand sending money to these extended family relatives you have never met in your entire life.
Well I guess its good to give back to reer hebel hebel sometimes, SOMETIMES only not beginning of every single month.

EvolSyawla
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: A woman proud of who she is cannot be made to feel otherwise of who she is not.

Postby EvolSyawla » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:17 am

My parents have learned that once you start giving, they like to spread the word and suddenly your kind hand becomes forced. So they don't give into that pressure, let alone pass it onto us.

I send money to my cousin who has a 50 kids, but a husband who would rather be a broke shiekh than be able to afford his family that he insists on growing.

Tell your parents you will (if you want) help someone who needs it, and otherwise you are saving for something important. Get a backbone sis, once they see your miskiin nature, they'll keep on taking.

ChiefKimbo
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby ChiefKimbo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:40 am

OP your needs comes first! Tell your parents to behave themselves.

SiennaEarth
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SiennaEarth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:47 am

Just tell your parents the truth. How old are your parents? If you have them older more "it's what we say or you're straight up caasi" type of parents then I don't know. I don't condone lying but maybe don't tell them how much you earn or tell them you're saving up.

BeyondQabil
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby BeyondQabil » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:31 am

My parents have learned that once you start giving, they like to spread the word and suddenly your kind hand becomes forced. So they don't give into that pressure, let alone pass it onto us.

I send money to my cousin who has a 50 kids, but a husband who would rather be a broke shiekh than be able to afford his family that he insists on growing.

Tell your parents you will (if you want) help someone who needs it, and otherwise you are saving for something important. Get a backbone sis, once they see your miskiin nature, they'll keep on taking.
:up: I hope the same will be said of my family

eliteSomali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby eliteSomali » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:42 am

Tell your parents you got fired. Let them starve for a few months. They'll learn the values of money.

EvolSyawla
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: A woman proud of who she is cannot be made to feel otherwise of who she is not.

Postby EvolSyawla » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:53 am

Have your 50 children inshallah, but you better work hard to feed and clothe and educate each one of them. That's the point alot of these Somalis (in Somali lands) are missing nowadays...

salool
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: "Live Each Day As If It Were Your Last... Tomorrow is Not Promised."

Postby salool » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:58 am

You're an adult, just sit down with them and be honest.Haday iskuka waalwaalan shaqada waan joojinaya dheh.

Ur salary xita ka ku qaba baan lo sheegin iskaba waalidke.

MissFiora
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby MissFiora » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:58 am

I wish it was that simple ...telling my parents no means compromising my relationship with them. My mother especially her favourite line is "aduunka unn baa wax lesku yahay akhiiro waxba laa isma tari doono laa soco saas". Are married people free from such obligations ?

Miss10

Postby Miss10 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:30 am

My mother is forever forcing me into a never ending hagbad, so I have something to fall back on Alhamdulilah. Why don't you sit your parents down and discuss with them your goals and aspirations for the future.

Best of luck.
Last edited by Miss10 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

StormShadow
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby StormShadow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:32 am

My mother is forever forcing me into a never ending xagbad, so I have something to fall back on Alhamdulilah. Why don't you sit your parents down and discuss with them your goals and aspirations for the future.

Best of luck.
Qué es xagbad?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.