Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Somalis Ethiopian?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
PLATINUUM
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Are Somalis Ethiopian?

Postby PLATINUUM » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:41 am

so i read some where that somalis are part of the Ethiopian tribes...so i was just wondering if before somalia was a country, were they just called ethiopian? is that why our history doesn't go back before islam? (read that on a post not too long ago)

also are there any obvious similarities between the other ethiopian tribes and somalis? excuse the ignorance but idk much about somalis and I'm trying to learn.

waraabe251
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Are Somalis Ethiopian?

Postby waraabe251 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:54 am

so i read some where that somalis are part of the Ethiopian tribes...so i was just wondering if before somalia was a country, were they just called ethiopian? is that why our history doesn't go back before islam? (read that on a post not too long ago)

also are there any obvious similarities between the other ethiopian tribes and somalis? excuse the ignorance but idk much about somalis and I'm trying to learn.

Some Somalis are originally xabashi such as darood, sheekh jebarti was a famous oromo shoe theive who was deported from yeman, he landed in sanaag and started his qabiil of which was very open to outsiders so lots of small groups joined to make what we now call beesha darod.

some qabiils like hj had a beutiful xabashi mother from royal xabashi blood which goes back to king suleyman SCW

Somali qabiil society

LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 am

Subxaanaka yaa cadiim. :snoop:

Somalis are Somali. Is that concept so hard for you guys to grasp? If you want to escape being somali so bad just claim others like arabs, xabashi or whatever and stop being Somali. :lol:

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:00 am

Somalis are Somali. Is that concept so hard for you guys to grasp? If you want to escape being somali so bad just claim others like arabs, xabashi or whatever and stop being Somali. :lol:
This thing that started the thread isn't Somali, she is a half-caste and hates anything Somali and Islam. :lol:

PLATINUUM
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PLATINUUM » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:04 am

@warabee I'm sorry but since i found out about your tribe obsession...i can't take you seriously

@liquid idk i was just wondering...smh

@Adali stfu....i dont hate you people or islam, I'm just trying to learn about somalis...why is that so hard to understand? wtf?

anzeloti
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby anzeloti » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:07 am

Somalis are Argentinians

TheMailMan
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby TheMailMan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:08 am

Reminds me of people like MaliPrince who actually claims Somalis are the same as Bantus, and then he claims them as his own :snoop:

We are Somalis. I would never trade my ethnicity for anything

PLATINUUM
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PLATINUUM » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:09 am

Im talking about the past....most ethiopian tribes look nothing like each other and they have different languages....is it possible that somalis were apart of that? were they called ethiopians waaaaaaaaaay back in the past?

waraabe251
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby waraabe251 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:13 am

Somalis are Argentinians
sxb Argentinian women are so hot.

AbkoowDhiblaawe
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbkoowDhiblaawe » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:16 am

The founder of the Daarood tribe, Abdirahman jeberti also called Tessema Tesfaye Mengesha (before he was forced to convert to islam) was of ethiopian origin who lived in what was called the Gojjam kingdom in the 14tth century. Jeberti was captured by Hiiraab forces loyal to Ahmed Guray (May Allah accept his shuhadaa) while he was busy stealing shoes during the battle of Amba sel. The daarod's are feeling ashamed of their origins so they distorted their infamous history by claiming to be of arab origin. So to answer your question platinum, yes you are ethiopian. :)

zumaale
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zumaale » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:17 am

Platinum, Ethiopia is a multi ethnic state. Anyone one that resides there is Ethiopian irrespective of ethnicity. You should have asked, what are the origins of the Somali people? That is hard to answer because the Somali identity is more than a millennium old and we do not all share a common ancestry, a paternal one anyway.

We are linguistically closely related to some ethnic groups in Ethiopia and Sudan. We even share some cultural traits.
Last edited by zumaale on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AgentOfChaos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:18 am

Oh you poor amateur troll that's not how you piss off Somalis when technically there are lots of "Ethiopians" who happen to be Somalis. Just to help you out, try making "Are Somalis Jews?" thread and even then my answer is "Yes, Somalis are Jews, nice try tho. Better luck next time."

PLATINUUM
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PLATINUUM » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:24 am

Platinum, Ethiopia is a multi ethnic state. Anyone one that resides there is Ethiopian irrespective of ethnicity. You should have asked, what are the origins of the Somali people? That is hard to answer because the Somali identity is more than a millennium old and we do not all share a common ancestry, a paternal one anyway.

We are linguistically closely related to some ethnic groups in Ethiopia and Sudan. We even share some cultural traits.

yes!!!! thats exactly my question thank you zuu....can you guys answer that??

waraabe251
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby waraabe251 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:26 am

The founder of the Daarood tribe, Abdirahman jeberti also called Tessema Tesfaye Mengesha (before he was forced to convert to islam) was of ethiopian origin who lived in what was called the Gojjam kingdom in the 14tth century. Jeberti was captured by Hiiraab forces loyal to Ahmed Guray (May Allah accept his shuhadaa) while he was busy stealing shoes during the battle of Amba sel. The daarod's are feeling ashamed of their origins so they distorted their infamous history by claiming to be of arab origin. So to answer your question platinum, yes you are ethiopian. :)
Mudane warsheeekh,

i thought his name was Melaku Tesfaye Mengesha. we must have different sources

Lancer
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Lancer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:31 am

Smh There needs to be a great Somali conference deciding on the origins of Somalis. This is getting ridiculous we are a whole ethnic group having an identity crises. :lol: Ethiopia is a nationality by the way so yes Somalis in the galbeed are technically Ethiopian. If I had to pick who Somalis are I think we are in our own special category closely related to xabashis,oromo, and canfars.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.