Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

population census in somalia

Dadka ku dhaqan ama ka imaaday gobolkan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Nomand
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: nomand, first of my names, king of the andals and the first men

population census in somalia

Postby Nomand » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 am

here is the estimate for the population of somalia by region and is widely used.

i think it is complete nonesense, if we want to know what the true population is then look at the kenyan census in 2019 which even decreased the actual ethnic somali population in NFD. from 1 million in mandera to 900k

if we compare mandera to gedo for example lets look at biggest cities and rank them in order

1)mandeera city -- maandeera
2)bardheere -- gedo
3)beledxaawo -- gedo
4) luuq -- gedo
5) elwak -- mandera
6)dolow -- gedo
7) ramu -- mandeera
8) elwak -- gedo
9) garbaharey -- gedo
10)ceelcade gedo

so in the top 10 list only 3 are in mandeere that is urban population. when it comes to rural population outside the cities mentioned above town like dhamese (gedo) gariley (gedo) and darasalaam (gedo) are around the same size as lafey (maandeera) which is the 4th biggest town in mandeera. also the livestock from gedo is sold in NFD specially in mandeera and elwak (kenya) and none of the livestock in mandeera is sold in gedo which indicates that the nomadic/ rural population of gedo is much larger then that of mandeera.

Mandera are
trucked to Nairobi for domestic consumption.
Because of high domestic demand, Kenya exports
very limited numbers of live animals and meat
products: in 2004 only 1.3% of sheep and goats’
meat went overseas (AU-IBAR and NEPDP, 2006;
see also EPZA, 2005 and Aklilu, 2002). Because of
the proximity of Mandera District to Somalia, there
is also a regular flow of goats from Somalia into
Mandera. A number of traders in Elwak indicated
that producers from the Gedo region of Somalia
trek their goats to Elwak for sale. Traders
interviewed in Elwak estimated that approximately
90,000 goats from Somalia are sold in Elwak every
year. Because the Gedo region had not been hit by
severe drought as had Mandera, at the time of the
visit traders noted that goats coming from Somalia
were in better condition than goats in Mandera. In

https://www.odi.org/sites/odi.org.uk/fi ... s/6054.pdf

so what do you think the real population of gedo is then? it sure is not 500k.

barbarossa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: population census in somalia

Postby barbarossa » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:55 am

I can no wise vouch for the accuracy of this so called population census, but from what I gather, based on previous statistical data, Gedo, (along with other faqash inhabited areas) has always been considered one of the least populated regions in Skinnstan..

Nomand
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: nomand, first of my names, king of the andals and the first men

Re: population census in somalia

Postby Nomand » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:13 am

I can no wise vouch for the accuracy of this so called population census, but from what I gather, based on previous statistical data, Gedo, (along with other faqash inhabited areas) has always been considered one of the least populated regions in Skinnstan..
that maybe so (you need to provide evidence on your claims), but gedo is no way only 500k people it is atleast double of that minimum.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.