Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somalis and Films, your thoughts

Talooyinka Guud

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Somfilms

Somalis and Films, your thoughts

Postby Somfilms » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Dear all,

It is obvious that Somalis let alone black people get screen time on TV or movies. When we do, it's usually negative. Whether the media is justified in the stories they tell or if Somalis are to blame for the negative coverage is not the issue here.I would like to know if any of you have been affected by the negative presence or absence of positive Somali/African/black characters as well as idea that all muslims are terrorists. For instance, Barkhad from Captain Philips recently appeared on a television show playing the role of a terrorist. Give me specifics, how does it make you feel?

FYI: I added the term black because some Somalis self-identify as black, and the lack of African characters has forced some people to view themselves as black.

LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Somalis and Films, your thoughts

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:57 am

Hollywood serves to boost the cadaan male ego and project white supremacy over the world. I have stopped watching movies, particularly Hollywood ones. A book is much more rewarding than the schlock served up as cinema.

Prlnce
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Prlnce » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:33 pm

Congratulations to the brother Barkhad. He should take every single role who cares if they type cast him. He's an inspiration for young somali actors that look up to him and say if he can do why can't I. He's a success story that we should celebrate.

I never seen or met Somalis that self-identify as black just because there is a lack of African actors. Somalis don't have that chip on their shoulders. They aren't consumed with race.

Now let us watch....the Somali Liam Neeson

barbarossa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby barbarossa » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:32 pm

Congratulations to the brother Barkhad. He should take every single role who cares if they type cast him. He's an inspiration for young somali actors that look up to him and say if he can do why can't I. He's a success story that we should celebrate.

I never seen or met Somalis that self-identify as black just because there is a lack of African actors. Somalis don't have that chip on their shoulders. They aren't consumed with race.

Now let us watch....the Somali Liam Neeson

Exactly! Struggling actors don't have the luxury to pick and choose what role they will play in a movie. At this stage of their lives, the thing uppermost in their mind, is to first get their feet into the door. More 'dignified' roles will come along later in their career, that is if they prove talented enough to have a second shot at acting.

Many big time Hollywood actors have begun their career by playing minor, often 'demeaning' roles. Morgan Freeman, (arguably one of the most talented actor the movie industry ever produced) do you know what his first major role was? Driving Mrs. Daisy! He played a servile, docile negro chauffeur for a mean, old, aristocratic, slave-owning Mistress, played by the late Jessica Candy. He played his role so flawlessly that it earned him his first Academy Award. Now, Do you think, Morgan Freeman should have declined the role because he deemed it 'stereotypical' of the negro race? Of course not. It is the same with our few Skinny actors. They should never discriminate when it comes what role to play in a movie, be it a gun-toting, emaciated pirate with rotten teeth, doing his thing in the high seas, or even a self-igniting terrorist blowing himself up in crowded market on behalf of ISIS.

Prlnce
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Prlnce » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:47 am

You are right films have never been a medium for equality or getting social statements addressed. It's about getting your foot in door like you said and making money. You do the role that is offered to you or you will unemployed.

Somfilms

Postby Somfilms » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:11 am

Dear all, thanks for replying, but the question is how do you feel when you do not see yourself on TV or in the movies and when you do, it's always in a negative light. Let's not explain why this is the case. So see below for options.

A. I don't like it, but I don't know if it has had a negative impact on me or how I view myself.
B. I don't really care, I know that Hollywood doesn't care to employ diverse characters in positive, nuanced roles.
C. I hate it, so I stopped watching TV or movies.
D. I hate it, but I don't have anything else to watch.

Now there are talented Somali film directors/actors, so we can produce a film for us and by us, so in that case, which kind of movie would you like to watch? what would it be about?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.