Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 21 year old sick femae nursing student

Arimaha Caafimaadka

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Talo alle udaa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

The 21 year old sick femae nursing student

Postby Talo alle udaa » Tue May 08, 2012 5:58 pm

A 21-year old female nursing student developed low grade fever, sore throat, malaise, and fatigue that lasted several days. Physical examination reveleated swollen lymph nodes and discomfort in the left upper quadrant of the abdomen. Examination of peripheral blood smear revealed 50% of atypical lymphocytes of the total white cells. Result for heterophile antibody test was positive. What is the most probable cause of infection?

A. Cytomegalovirus
B. Respiratory syncytial virus
C. Influenza virus
D. Esptein-Barr virus
E. Varicella Zoster virus

I love doing case problems like these. Take a crack it and guess if you don't have a clue. The biggest give away is the 50% atypical lymphocytes and the antibody test result (sheep blood).

Talo alle udaa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: The 21 year old sick femae nursing student

Postby Talo alle udaa » Wed May 09, 2012 5:50 pm

49 views and no luck, where is Avicenna?

Tuushi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Tuushi » Wed May 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Maybe not too many med students around here.

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Ruux bukaanka ku nacay, adoo bahan katagay....Ala barasho, barasho wacanaa!

Postby greenday » Wed May 09, 2012 5:58 pm

My guess would be the person has shingles and the virus that caused it would be the varicella zoster virus, haye how is my diagnosis :lol:

Tuushi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Tuushi » Wed May 09, 2012 6:04 pm

My guess would be the person has shingles and the virus that caused it would be the varicella zoster virus, haye how is my diagnosis :lol:
I thought shingles was for the seniors? :lol:

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Ruux bukaanka ku nacay, adoo bahan katagay....Ala barasho, barasho wacanaa!

Postby greenday » Wed May 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Who said that? waa bahal ku gadaayo as soon as your immune system is down baam :lol: :lol:

Tuushi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Tuushi » Wed May 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Who said that? waa bahal ku gadaayo as soon as your immune system is down baam :lol: :lol:
Waxaas naga daa.It is most common in people over 50 and chances get higher the older someone gets.Maybe sheekada UKda ayaa badalan. :lol:

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby greenday » Wed May 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Well its basically chicken pox so laabte and it would be more common in old people because the older you get the weaker you immune system. Horta maxa ka hadlooya i just thought those symptoms sound like shingles and since the virus that causes it is on there i just put 1+1 :lol: :lol:

Tuushi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Tuushi » Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Oo maxaan ka aqanaa. Igaarkaan cidlada dishey ayaan qabaaro kiil oga digaayey. :lol:

Waa runtaa,waa same virus.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 pm

A. Cytomegalovirus

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby greenday » Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Waa iska sugeyna into jawaabta naga siiyo :up:

Tuushi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Tuushi » Wed May 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Waa saas green

Heedhe Alpha,why aad A u choice gareyse?

Talo alle udaa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Talo alle udaa » Wed May 09, 2012 6:51 pm

Greenday, Thanks for the attempt, however, a common denominator between chicken pox and shingles, which is both caused by the VZV virus are skin blisters (ie rash) of some kind. Shingles is a reactivation of the dormant VZV virus that has been hiding in the sensory neurons of those it infects. typically during old age, due to some unforseen reason. the virus leaves its neurons and attacks the dermatomes (sensory field) of those neurons.

Our patient is a young adult, 21 yrs of age and is in college. what kind of a diseases/illnesses is a 21 yr old girl in college most prone to?

Alpha, your answer is close. Cytomegalovirus, does infect WBCs, causing them to appear atypical. however, one test that was given excludes this possibility. also cytomegalovirus usually affects people with weak immune systems, such as those with HIV, immuno suppressed, etc,
Last edited by Talo alle udaa on Wed May 09, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Wed May 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks for the attempt, however, a common denominator between chicken pox and shingles, which is both caused by the VZV virus are skin blisters (ie rash) of some kind. Shingles is a reactivation of the dormant VZV virus that has been hiding in the sensory neurons of those it infects. during old age, the virus leaves its neurons and attacks the dermatomes (sensory field) of those neurons.

Our patient is a young adult, 21 yrs of age and is in college. what kind of a diseases/illnesses is a 21 yr old girl in college most prone to?
Herpes.

Thus, cytomegalovirus.

Oh, i see.

Talo alle udaa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Talo alle udaa » Wed May 09, 2012 6:58 pm

See my post above. One more attempt each and then ill give answer.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.