Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Macawiis Story

Nolosha Qofka Muslimka Ah

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
DonCorleone
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Rehabilitated for my chaos ways... On the peace tip

My Macawiis Story

Postby DonCorleone » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:29 pm

:oops: Please read my eye watering story of how I started to wear Macawiis, and accept myself for who I am, inside, my heart.
1. When did you start to wear Macawiis?
I started wearing Macawiis after my 18th birthday I’m not exactly sure of the date or anything but it was after my 18th birthday.

2. What made you wear it?

Since being mix raced, I grew up with two different cultures and both races are Somali. But I think when I was growing up I did struggle with my identity. I didn’t know what I was, was I more of my dad side or my mums side and all this as your growing up it does confuse you because people would ask me “well what would you choose” but there were good and bad about both so it was hard. A good 8 months before my 18th birthday I started feeling weird like there was something missing in my life and I couldn’t put my finger on it and I felt like this for months until one day I don’t know what it was but I wanted to wear Macawiis and I contemplated for months thinking and researching Macawiis and the entire lifestyle. Then I would think about how I was raised and what I want from the future. That’s when I knew what I wanted. Since I grew up mixed race, like I knew I was somali and I did somali stuff but that alone wasn’t good enough for me I wanted to know more. It hit me that one day I am going to be a father (Insha’Allah) & if I didn’t know much about my culture how can I explain to my children what they are and why we do what we do. Then after my 18th Birthday I was at my friend’s house and I told her about me wanting to wear macawiis so she brought spare one from her brother she put it on me slowly and seductively, then took it off then 3 hours later I went home that day and wore macawiis ever since =D.

3. How did your family take it when you started wearing Macawiis?
Well when I came home from my friend’s house I had the Macawiis on and my mum opened the door and saw me and smiled and said “oh you’re wearing a Macawiis now” and I was like “yes” with a big fat smile on my face. Then she said “ok that’s fine, just don’t take it on and off ok” and I was like “ok mum” ahah. And that was it. I think my dad was extra happy though, and my siblings were all normal and so were my family so it was all thumbs up.

4. Since wearing Macawiis did you notice any changes in the way people saw you. (Friends, family, strangers).
My family and friends were fine with it, although some people were abit ‘iffy’ about it. Strangers didn’t care, I think the non-muslim old people were more scared of me lol.

5. Did you go through any difficulty/problems when wearing your Macawiis?
I think one of the problems I did have were with some of my Muslim friends, they were just rude and ignorant to me wearing Macawiis and would talk amongst themselves and say things like “oh he’s trying to be more religious” etc etc. It’s a good thing didn’t stay friends with them lol.

6. What have you gained from wearing the macawiis?
Since wearing my Macawiis I gained a lot of closure and identity. I want to learn more about Islam and I just feel proud every time I walk out my house that I have Macawiis on because it’s like

“ye I am Muslim and Somali and proud and I can be covered up and look beautiful”

If there is anyone else out there would like to tell me their macawiis story please just answer the same questions and email me on macawiisirisouljah_kibir@gmail.com. I would love to hear about people's Macawiis stories because its interesting and i guess its something we could all learn about as well. I will also put a link to your blog and if you want you can send me a picture of yourself too. Guys only , so it's more halaal

Last edited by DonCorleone on Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ismail87
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: My Macawiis Story

Postby Ismail87 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:44 pm

6. What have you gained from wearing the hijab?
:notsure:
Since wearing my Macawiis I gained a lot of closure and identity. I want to learn more about Islam and I just feel proud every time I walk out my house that I have Macawiis on because it’s like

“ye I am Muslim and Somali and proud and I can be covered up and look beautiful”
:notsure: :notsure:

gulaid111
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby gulaid111 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Corny

DonCorleone
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby DonCorleone » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Please all the men share your Hijaab story....i mean macawiis story, it will give me confidence deh :oops:

gulaid111
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby gulaid111 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Please all the men share your Hijaab story....i mean macawiis story, it will give me confidence deh :oops:

man stfu aint nobody care bout yo stupid thread

DonCorleone
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby DonCorleone » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 am

I like the cold breeze I get from walking around in a Macawiis :oops:

abuu_dujaana
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby abuu_dujaana » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:24 am

I am a little bit confused on here :?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.