Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Role reverse in immigrant societies

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Sir-Luggoyo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Role reverse in immigrant societies

Postby Sir-Luggoyo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:35 pm

Adeer Farax was a man among men back in Somalia, he was the bread winner, the role model, the head of the family, the dignified elder, the one who has the last word in all meetings, he was a decision maker for his family and at times for his sub-clan, literally he was a leader in a community.

Adeer farah adamantly moved to the West for the sake of his children's future, once they land, he loses all priveleges and identity, he relies every little detail of his life on his kids, be it grocey shopping, hospital appointment or what is the news on CNN. As time goes by, he senses that he is a burden to the household, he realizes that his word doesn't carry much weight, then gradually he finds himself alienated from his family, he is now a shell of his old self with no sense or purpose in life, depression kicks in, the only relief he gets is the donut shop where he fights the fadhi ku dirir with his peers over multiple cups of tea and coffee.

He hears how so and so back in Somalia got married to a 16 year old chick and is kicking, he shakes his head in regret and curses the day he came to the West.

I am planning of opening a center for such old folks to learn Engilsh and just kick back anytime they want without the pressure of the coffee shops.

any volunteers?

zulaika
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Role reverse in immigrant societies

Postby zulaika » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 pm

what makes u think your centre isn't gonna turn into another fadhi ku dirir donut shop? its gonna be filled with old somali men anyways right?

anyways, i'll volunteer to supply the tea...i make a mean cup of shaah u know, with qorfe iyo heyl. Laughing

kambuli
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby kambuli » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Sir,

Maybe you are joking but believe me it is a good Idea...

I think there is a centre for those folks in Boston...Opened by a Somali lady...Ofcourse not all of them became a burden to their families..but they need to interact with their peers...

As a matter of fact the only volunteer work with the exception of the (Masjid) that I do is helping the elderly...in the places they are cared...minimum twice a month I go to them...I have never seen a Somali in that place... Some of them only need someone to talk to them or listen them...I have actually the patience to listen their long stories...sometimes they repeat 30 times... Cool
Last edited by kambuli on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:23 pm

'He hears how so and so back in Somalia got married to a 16 year old chick and is kicking, he shakes his head in regret and curses the day he came to the West.'

LOOOOOL How sad Ma ha ? Confused Sad

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sadaam_Mariixmaan
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Sadaam_Mariixmaan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:23 pm

SIR,

Naga dhaaf, thats Balan Baliis PT II

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Berke
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Berke » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:49 pm

The worst thing that can happen to a man is have house full of only girls. No one in the household can relate to his problem. When you are in that kind of situation, the best thing to do is just to dip and go to Africa. Have them send you money and live like a king there.

Sir-Luggoyo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Sir-Luggoyo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Zuly,

Actually you would snatch the first ducaa' if you bring them the shaah they are missing. It's part and parcel of their existence. On behalf of the Ururka Fadhi Ku Dirirka, thank you in advance for your wonderful Shaah.

Kambuli,

I am not kidding, I have been contemplating this idea for quiet a while and I have came to the decision to act, but I will need volunteers and a little financial support for the rent of the Center. Bal is baadhbaadha.

SM,

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You will see that when I come knocking your door for donation,

This is a serious issue that plagued our senior citizens and we need to repay them for everything they have done for us

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:59 pm

Sir Lug

The most puzzlying thing about you is-- here you are a very traditional somali man yet you have your foot on the western brothel lifestyle.Essentially u are trapped in two opposite world.You sit with your distinguished Donut Dunkin odeeyaal friends and talk all to their level of mentality and later u go home to your internet only to unleash the pervert sexual man trapped in that Abdulahi Yusuf look alike body.And who are you kidding?? There is NO way u can survivein Somalia. I mean, sure if there was a stable somali government, u will be the FIRST to run there and look for a 14 year old marexaan dhoiil, but before then-- walaal-- stop dreaming! Laughing Laughing Laughing

kambuli
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby kambuli » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:46 am

Sir, quote " Kambuli,

I am not kidding, I have been contemplating this idea for quiet a while and I have came to the decision to act, but I will need volunteers and a little financial support for the rent of the Center. Bal is baadhbaadha

In that case may Allaah be on your guide...If you were in the East Coast I would have helped you...But sorry, you are not...Good Luck.. Smile

Sir-Luggoyo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Sir-Luggoyo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:33 pm

Basra,

My kind is the best. We are a rare breed and an epitome of envy, we are the bridge of the cultural gap that seperates Farah culture from 50 Cents culture, the placenta that connects both ends, once my kind becomes extinct, rest assured that that conduit and passage is forever severed and there will be two worlds oblivious to one another.

Kambuli,

Walaal xaggeed iiga rartay NE? You know I have been preaching that I live in Boston forever and here you are dislocating me. Mise qaaraan ka carar baad tahay? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

kambuli
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby kambuli » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Sir,

Sorry waan Ilaabay inaad ahaydeen, North East Corridor Smile
My intention was to let you know that we live far apart..

By the way, awelba xoog uunbaan ku deqi lahaaye xoolo kuma deeqeen Laughing Laughing

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.